Sampaoli Hotel

Via San Gallo 14, Florence, Tuscany, 50129, Italy

Travelocity Hotels.com Venere.com

• cpiers47's Profile Photo

Fantastic Budget Option

I booked a single room here and was pleasantly surprised at the deal I got - even in high season. Leonardo and his brother are incredibly friendly and their courtesy alone is reason to try it. It felt much like staying with friends!

There were a number of room options as well as internet available. I was incredibly impressed with the welcoming atmosphere and the pleasant staff. I was greeted by name from the beginning - amazing.

Unique Quality: My single room with shared bath was delightful. Of course, "shared bath" entails a number of things - but a budget traveler should be well used to this!

If you're looking for a centrally located budget room, absolutely consider this hotel.

Directions: Near the Medici Riccardi Palace

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Hotel Sampaoli

The small hotel occupies an old florentine building. The atmosphere is very friendly and compared to its central location it is relatively quiet. One PC with free internet access is offered to the travellers.

Directions: Hotel Sampaoli is located about 1 km north east from the station Santa Maria Novella and only a short walk from the Duomo.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Hotel Sampaoli

Around 45-50 Euros for a single room with shared bathroom.

Unique Quality: For the money, it would be hard to beat this place. All the rooms are decorated a bit differently and are kept very clean. You'll have free internet access and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I spent a few evenings talking with Leonardo, one of the owners. He's a great guy who gave me good advice on restaurants and other practicalities.

More about Sampaoli Hotel

There are many fine hotels in...

by snmred

There are many fine hotels in town. Don't be scammed into paying a huge price for a one or two star place, it happens if you book directly through the hotel. Also, if you take the train into Florence there are always several people there advertising their hotels and offering a 'steal' for a last minute booking. Be careful. Some of these places are not near the center or are not legally run hotels but more like a boarding house that is not up to standard and I have heard that they are not too nice to stay in. And, unless you absolutely have to, try not to use a visitor center to book you a hotel, they charge a fee on top of your room rate. Use a booking service online, they usually give a fair price. I reccomend www.itwg.com
Look carefully over hotel information, if you mind sharing ammenities as in a bathroom, look for that because many hotels in town have that option for less money. Most places are very clean and well run so don't worry too much about that. I have met several very friendly people through hotels that I stayed at when I first arrived in town. Some budget places to try are, Hotel Sampaoli on via San Gallo, or Concordia on via dell Amorino. Both were very friendly and helpful. Rates for a single were around $45 a night. I also stayed at Hotel Lombardia which was quite nice. Fairly inexpensive too but can be a little noisy unless you get a room off the street.
Off season-November through February the average one star will be $40-$60. In the height of the good season it goes up to $60-$90 unless you do your research. A good deal can be found. Make sure that if you book online you print out a copy of your confirmation with the prices on it because some will try to slide a few more bucks in there. If you are going to stay in a hostel, book before if they take reservations, hostels fill up quick. Also, most of the cities hostels are not centrally located so take that into consideration as well. Also

Italy: 2 weeks

by MTLinNJ

I only managed to sleep for 2 hours on the flight from NY to Rome. I was dead by the time we got to the car rental agency (Avis). It's probably why I didn't protest much when they almost doubled the cost of the rental by adding insurance. Had I been more awake, I would have switched for the train.

We didn't go to Rome then, we just circled around the city and went straight to Florence. On the way there, we had our first encounter with Italian expresso. To quote my friend Alex :"Oh my god! I could get used to this".

Another fun experience that we had was to try finding our hotel. Florence, like most of the Europe that I have seen, seem to only have one way streets. I would have been better off parking as soon as I could and take a cab from there.

Our hotel was pretty nice. We got scared by the ugly staircase leading to it but once inside, it's like any other 2 star hotel - no frills but clean and cheap. The name was: Hotel Sampaoli and, if you are interested, they have a nice website.

"Florence"

Florence was beautiful as I expected from many of my friends and family having been there before me. The Duomo and other churches are spectacular, the gelato is very good and the museums are packed with masterpieces. My brother Marc joined us on the third day, fresh from a 2-3 week visit in France. Unfortunately he lost his passport in the plane so he had to spend a few hours trying to contact the airline to be told that they didn't find it.

Marc is even more of a travel nut than I am and he learns language so fast, It's frightening. We will have an interpreter for the rest of the trip.

After 3 days in Florence, it's time to leave for Venice.

"Venice"

We didn't sleep in Venice but in Padua which is connected by train to Venice. The ride was approximately 30 to 45 minutes and very smooth.

Venice was really impressive. I wish that we could have stayed one more day. We first enjoyed a little stroll in small streets and then we took a water-bus to St. Marc Place.

The Doge's Palace is amazing, every room larger than the preceeding and each painted ceiling is amazing.

The Cathedral is something else also, you can tell how the city was at the height of it's power from all of the gold and treasures adorning the walls.

If you have the chance, try some hot chocolate at one of the many coffee houses that you will see.

"Assisi"

After a quick stop in San Marino, we made our way to Assisi, the town where the Franciscan order was founded by Saint Francis. As some of you know, I am not much of a real catholic, twelve years of catholic school pretty much convinced me that I didn't care about my spirituality.

However, I love the historical and anthropological aspect of religions and to me Assisi was just like returning to the middle ages and trying to understand the religious fervor of these times. Assisi is packed with churches, it seemed almost as if there were more churches than citizens. Saint-Francis would have flipped had he know that they woud build huge cathedrals and monasteries with the money that he would have used to feed the poors.

"Tivoli"

As we are making our way to the Amalfi Coast, we decided to stop and visit Hadrian's Villa in Tivoli just outside of Rome. The place was so impressive, roman ruins after Roman ruins. The palace of an emperor at the height of the empire.

It's really worth the detour if you are into Roman history.

"Sorrento"

Our first night in Sorrento was a nightmare - no heat in our room! We froze all night so the next morning, we rented a room in a 4 star hotel (Imperial Tramontano)a few blocks away. The place was amazing, situated on top of a cliff with a view of Napoli and the Vesuvus, breakfast was great too.

In November, it didn't have too many tourists. In fact, there was so little tourism that most of the hotels were closed for the season.

"Positano"

Our first daytrip from Sorrento was to Positano.

We took the bus from the center of Sorrento to the top of Positano. Positano was built on the mountain side just like other towns in the area but that mountainside is the steepest that I have seen in Italy.

The town is pretty but it was too cold on that day to be fully enjoyable.

"Capri"

Our second daytrip was Capri.

I just fell in love with the place. Capri is so beautiful that it is breathtaking. No wonder some Roman emperors chose to live there toward the end of their lives.

We started by making our way up the mountain to Tiberius Palace and then we circle around Capri. We must have seen 1000 steps and more. The next morning (we went to Napoli)we could hardly walk but it was worth it.

"Pompeii"

We had a few rainy day during the trip but the day that we decided to go to Pompeii, it was falling so hard, we got totally drenched.

The town is huge and so interesting. I think that in the 3 or 4 hours that we spent there, we saw maybe 20% of the city. Next time I go to Italy, I'll spend at least 2 days out there.

"And finally ... Rome"

The end of the road: Rome.

What a wonderful city - full of life, past and present.

While Marc tries hard to get a new passport and Alex risks his life on the scooter that he rented, we decided to kill the little that is left of our legs. Forum, colliseum, Spanish steps, Vatican, Trevi fountian and the list of wonderful sights goes on and on.

The Vatican is amazing, I always though that the church had been stealing money from everybody. Now I know for sure that they have. Sometimes I wonder though: if there were no powers (or thieves) on earth, there wouldn't be a great wall in China or the Pyramids of Egypt or the St. Peter cathedral and the world would be a boring place.

B&B in Florence

Hello!
I was wondering if anybody of you VTers could recommend a good and not very expensive B&B in the centre of Florence. I'm planning to go to Florence next weekend so... hurry up! I trust you!
Thanks a lot!

by sniem

Ciao Sara,
I'm lucky to have friends in Florence so I never need one. But friends of mine stayed in the "Pensione Annalena" in the Santo Spirito area 2 years ago and they really liked it. I think the price was around 70€. Here is their website: http://www.hotelannalena.it/

Horscheck was in Florence in December I think he was pretty happy with his albergo somewhere near the train station.

Hey I'll be in beautiful Rome from March 28th to April 1st maybe we can meet.

Silke

by Sarita76

Thank you very much!!! I had a look at their website and it seems to be ok.
Yes, we can meet in Rome for sure :)) Let me know!

by jessica-tob

Hi Sara,
check out this webpage and maybe you'll find something! I booked accomodation in Rome through this site.
Have a wonderful time in Florence!!
www.cross-pollinate.com

Jess

Thank you Jess!!!

by HORSCHECK

Hiya Sara,

I was in Florence last december and I stayed in the Hotel Sampaoli which was in fact a recommendation of another VT memeber.

It is a small basic Hotel for travellers and the owner Leonardo is young and very friendly. The hotel is only 10 minutes walk from the Duomo. They have either single and double rooms with shared bath or en suite.
And last but not least they offer one PC with free internet access .... :-)

Check it at:

Hope this helps
HORSCHECK :-)

by HORSCHECK

... and I forgot to mention that Hotel Sampaoli is situated in a relatively quiet street what isn´t normal for a centrally located accomodation in Italy ... :-)

HORSCHECK :-)

Grazie!!!
One more chance to spend a nice weekend in Florence! Thank you!

by SirRichard

Hi!
A friend of mine recently was at a youth hostel called "Ostello Santa Monaca". She said was a good value, an old XVth century convent, quite centrally located (walking distance). They only have beds in dormitories for 16 euros/night, no private rooms.

More info at:

Have a nice trip
Joaquin

by kcochran111

Try Hotel Ottaviani. It's in Piazza Santa Maria Novella. Cheap and comfortable with a super-friendly staff. Ph: (39) 055-239-6223

Comments