Santa Croce

Costs 62% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Florence

RampartsRamparts

River Arno from room 21River Arno from room 21

Couldn't fit it all in one picture!Couldn't fit it all in one picture!

Ravishing decor inside.Ravishing decor inside.

Florence

by hojp

I am doing my first cruise into the mediterranean. I am going into Livorno. Shall I do Florence or Lucca? I know I cannot do both. Which is a better way to enjoy the ambience of the region?

Re: Florence

by mccalpin

Do Lucca. It's closer to Livorno; you'll have a nice day walking through the streets; and Florence deserves more than a drive-by visit...well, so does Lucca, but you'll have a nice day walking the streets, seeing and being seen, having a pleasant lunch, and stopping by a bar for a drink (alcoholic or not)...

Since all the trains for Lucca change in Pisa, IF you have time, you can stop in Pisa and take in the Campo dei Miracoli where the Tower and Duomo are...

Bill

Re: Florence

by leics

Agree. Florence is a lovely city, but it is a city.....you need more time to 'do' it than you are likely to have. And it is hugely popular with tourists, so its ambience reflects that. Lucca is smaller and, although a popular destination, not as popular as Florence.

Don't expect either to reflect the 'ambience of the region' though: they have their own ambience.

Travel Tips for Florence

view from the Duomo

by tompt

Enjoying the view from the top of the Duomo. It is ofcourse nice to have clear skies and see all the way to the mountains.

If you donĀ“t feel able to climb the 463 steps of the Duomo you can also have a great view of the city from the piazalle Michelangelo.

Bring Art & Architecture Book

by Hopkid

Florence: Art & Architecture is a great resource when you're visiting Florence's many museums. This invaluable book contains great descriptions of may works of art and architecture in the city. Often times this was the only available English explanation of what we were looking at. Definitely work taking and carrying around. The book is authored by Rolf Wirtz and Clemente Maneti.

Designer or designer?

by Zlur

Way too many designer shops are found all over Florence, and not enough 'regular' shops! This frustrated me slightly. However, if you're into such things then you will be in heaven! I did find an outlet that sold reduced designer wear, but don't even bother, it was rubbish.

Although I must say, window shopping and admiring the wonderful dresses was an experience in itself, as you can see from my photos. Anything - bags, dresses, shoes, belts... you name it! Have the Gold Card ready :) Astronomical prices, of course

Think Twice (Part I)

by jag17

We picked up our rental car the day we left Florence. Wow! It was terrifying! I picked a rental office very close to our hotel. We walked to the rental location, and got the car. I was very tempted to turn right around and give it back. It took close to 45 minutes to maneuver the round abouts, and the tiny one way streets to get back to the hotel. From the hotel, it was an attempt to get out of town in one piece. Another 15 minutes of terror as people zipped around with no regard to lanes, signals, or road rules. We were glad to have our car in the smaller towns, but I would think twice before picking it up in any of the major cities again. Not worth the stress!

Horn honking and shaking fists seem to be the norm :)

Check out my Rome page for Part II, the rental return.

Ristorante Pizzeria La Ghiotta

by HORSCHECK

This small Trattoria offers great italian meals in an italian atmosphere for affordable prices. Even though, I was in Florence in December and most tourist restaurants were empty, La Ghiotta was always packed with Italians. The service and furniture are just basic, but the food and the wine are excellent. The pizza and pasta are gorgeous. Prices vary from 3 to 5 Euro. A 1/2 litre of wine is only 2 Euro (12/2002).

Comments