Santa Maria Novella

Santa Maria Novella Hotel
Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Costs 103% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Perfect for Us!

We spent three nights at this hotel as arranged by our travel specialist. Facilities excellent, clean and beautifully maintained. We had rooms on the 6th floor, recently renovated, with windows opening onto the Piazza. Very large rooms and bathroom facilities. Buffet breakfest outstanding, surely meeting the needs of American and European travelers.

Unique Quality: Great roof top views with tables, chairs, and umbrellas available. Location was fine for us, an easy walk to the Duomo, other sights in the area of the Duomo, and our favorite restaurant find, II Latini! We also walked to major museums, Uffizzi and Galleria dell'Accademica.

Directions: If traveling by train, Piazza and hotel only short walk way, but, at the same time, once on the Piazza, never would know station nearby.

More about Santa Maria Novella

Luxury and Great Service on the Piazza Santa Maria Novella

by TripAdvisor Member MamaJuji

We stayed at this lovely, recently completely refurbished hotel for four nights in late April 2006. The hotel was busy, but quiet, even when the dining room was full it was a pleasant murmer rather than a roar of conversation. The staff were extremely helpful, and provided us with recommendations to local restaurants (not filled with tourists), helped with train schedules, suggested small noteworthy museums and a spot for superior gelato! The hotel is marvelously located, on the Piazza Santa Maria Novella, a few blocks from the heart of Florence, and yet close to the train station for easy arrival and departure on foot. The rooms were large and beautifully furnished, silk drapery, canopied beds, spacious marble bathrooms with decadent showers. The breakfast room was filled with huge paintings and breakfast was a generous selection of flavorful fruit, juices, yogurt, pastry and even bacon and eggs, not to mention espresso, coffee and tea. We had a late night cap in the hotel's bar, although a bit pricey, the cocktail was well made and accompanied by a silver dish of assorted nuts. We were sad to leave, and would return in a heartbeat. The hotel's website accurately represents the ammenities, and email is an excellent means to communicate with the staff.

I was staying in a rented...

by Svitata

I was staying in a rented apartment arranged by my school, together with a few other foreign students. It was located in a narrow street close to the Santa Maria Novella train station, and right next to a disco!! Imagine that!

The apartment had a kitchen a little terrace overlooking into the terrace of the next building. We cooked nearly every night, it's cheaper!

Inexpensive option near Santa Maria Novella

by mariocibelli about Hotel Fiorentina

Inexpensive hotel, used Sept to April for international student housing. Cheap rates rest of the year.

Florence Hotel with a View

by no1birdlady about Hotel Diplomat Firenze

This hotel opened recently in downtown Florence across from the Santa Maria Novella trail station. It's a very good location to see Florence. The rooms are nice and larger than many. Food was good. Service was a bit slow but then we were a large tour group coming in so they had a lot of people to process and get to the rooms. My favorite thing was the beautiful view of Florence from the top floor where we ate breakfast. We could see the skyline of Florence with the cathedral dominating it. How magestic that is.
Since we were on a tour, I don't know the prices we paid because they were included in the tour price.

Budget Hotel, convenient location

by xxsentiaxx about Hotel Merlini

Hotel Merlini is a budget accomodation, very good for anyone trying to save money and needing to stay close to Santa Maria Novella train station. We arrived after check-in time but since we e-mailed them prior to arriving with notification they were expecting us late. The hotel e-mailed me a map with my confirmation which made finding the hotel very easy. It was a 5-10 minute walk from the train station. We were a little confused finding the hotel but once we figured out the street numbering system we found it in no time. There is no elevator and you have to climb to the third floor, we had backpacks, which meant it was no problem. Since it was late, the door was locked and we had to knock. I told the gentleman we had reservations and he welcomed me by name. He showed us to our room and handled the paperwork while we got settled in.
The hotel room was large enough with a double bed and a full bathroom with shower. The hotel itself was quiet, the building is old and therefore the walls are thin, but around midnight, outside and inside was completely quiet. Like all other hotels we've had in Europe there are no screens on the windows, therefore we woke up with a few bug bites. Next time we'll suffer the heat and close the windows as there was no air conditioning.
We checked out of the hotel early the next morning and the hotel kept our bags for us until evening with no problem.
We would definitely stay in this hotel again if we return to Florence.

Charming Hotel

We stayed in the Santa Maria Novella on the first night of our little tour around Tuscany. We really loved it there. The hotel is very charming, from the people at the front desk to the decor to our lovely room. The location is quite near all there is to see and the breakfast in the morning was delicious. We would definitely stay here again.

A Great Find

by TripAdvisor Member MJN_slc

My wife and I just spent 3 nights in Florence, as part of longer trip to Italy. This hotel was fantastic. The room quality, staff and breakfast exceeded our expectations. We normally stay in 3 star hotels, but we feel like this is really a 4-5 star experience. The room and bathroom were fantastic, and very clean. The decorations and furnishings were quite new. Our room was really quiet, despite being on a busy Piazza. It's also hard to beat the location; really close to the train station, rental car returns/hire and a very short walk to the major sights. I highly recommend the Santa Maria Novella. Also, the staff was quite helpful. We stayed in 103 (second floor)...it had a wonderful view of the Santa Maria Novella Basilica from our window.

Trust the reviews of those with positive comments...I was a little skeptical because there were a couple of negative reviews when I booked the place, but it turned out perfect.

It's the little things that make the count

by TripAdvisor Member TorontoGuest

We booked the Santa Maria Novella Hotel based on TripAdvisor recommendations. On the surface the hotel is beautifully furnished situated in a very central and good location in Florence within walking distance of major sights. The rooms are gloriously decorated with a full marble bathroom and you really feel you are in a luxurious place. The bedroom is very cozy and comfortable. But for us the hotel did not meet our expectations of a four-star hotel. Everything was attended to on the surface, the bathroom looked very clean but when we returned at the end of the day, the floor was not cleaned. The beds were turned down at night yet the bathroom left still messy. The breakfast was sumptuously laid out in a beautful setting however one day the milk was bad and we did not eat breakfast there again after that. Whenever we asked the staff questions the information changed or was not consistent the next time, and the receptionist staff were not very friendly, as least we did not feel warm and fuzzy. As mentioned the hotel itself is beautiful and most folks could enjoy their stay there, but it just did not meet our personal expectations based on the level of four star hotels we have stayed in across the globe. Finally, everything is branded Santa Maria hotel, the bath mat, the bath towels, soap, shampoo, toiletries, glass covers, bed mats, bed spread, slippers, bath robe even down to the "intimate cleanser". It was a bit over the top.

Above average

by TripAdvisor Member DJGIT

My wife and I stayed at the SMN Florence for two nights 28-29th June 2006 during the second leg of a two week tour of Tuscany and Venice, arriving by train from Pisa early afternoon.
The hotel is situated about 5-10 minutes walk from Santa Maria Novella station, in the Piazza of the same name.
I was dissapointed upon arriving at the Piazza Santa Maria Novella to note that the Church of the same name was undergoing some sort of restoration to the facia and as such was completely hidden behind scaffolding. I also admit to geting a little worried when the hotel seemed a little elusive in as much as we walked around the whole Piazza before noticing that the entrance to the hotel was also concealed by a second mountain of scaffolding that had been erected to the adjacent building.
Upon checking in both my wife and I found the staff friendly and attentive and the lobby, bar, breakfast room and reading rooms were all very nicely decorated and furnished.
When we arrived at our room we were very pleased with the size as most hotels in Italy that I have stayed at, have rooms akin to the size of a broom cupboard. The bathroom was small but clean and in-keeping with the rooms decor which I can only describe as "Italian" lots of bold colours and draped fabrics. The television was a very small, possibly 15", lcd with only one English channel, namely CNN as with everywhere else we stayed in Italy.
The location is very good as you are close to both the station, Duomo and Baptisery and only a short walk from the Ponte Vecchio and Ufrizi.
Breakfast was nothing to write home about, standard European fare, a croissant, coffee and juice...an omellette if you were willing to pay 12 Euro PP to have it served in your room.

I am always taken aback somewhat at the ratings given on Trip Advisor for hotels in Europe, I can only imagine that the large US contingent are less expectant of high quality/medium cost whilst travelling in Europe and as such are always pleasently suprised when arriving at what I would call, by worldwide standards, an above average but unspectacular hotel.

Had I been travelling in the USA or Asia Pacific/Australia, I would give this hotel a mark of three, however, knowing as I do what you get for your Pound/Dollar/Euro in Europe I will mark this hotel four out of five, as I can't imagine that you are likely to find anywhere as good for the money. That is not to say however, that I was blown away.

Santa Maria NovellaSanta Maria Novella

Santa Maria Novella- facadeSanta Maria Novella- facade

Santa Maria Novella cloisterSanta Maria Novella cloister

Santa Maria NovellaSanta Maria Novella

luggage storage in Santa Maria Novella?

by MissThing606

hi,

I'm off to Florence for a weekend on Friday. Ill get there in the morning and probably wont be able to get to the appartment before 1pm. Is there anywhere to store a bag or small suitcase in the station? And does anyone know the cost?

RE: luggage storage in Santa Maria Novella?

by micheleld

There is a paid luggage storage in the train station.

RE: luggage storage in Santa Maria Novella?

by mccalpin

"Rates per bag left Deposit rates (for each bag): 3.80 - for the first 5 hours 0.60 - per hour for the next 7 hours (from the 6th to the 12th) 0.20 - per hour from the 13th hour."

"Timetable:
6 am - midnight"

from http://www.grandistazioni.it/client_enhtml/page.php?id=10017

Bill

RE: RE: luggage storage in Santa Maria Novella?

by MissThing606

3.80 is a good rate, thanks guys!

Comments