Via dei Renai, 5, Florence, Tuscany, 50100, Italy

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 151% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Consider the south side.......

The Silla on the south bank of the Arno should be a must on your hotel list for a visit to Florence. This beautifully appointed establishment excels in service and is just a minute walk from the Ponte Vecchio and all the other wonderful sights of Florence. I truly enjoyed stepping out every day to see the beautiful river with the uffizi and palazzo vecchio right across with the Duomo in the distance. Everything easy to find from the Silla. And the wonderful putti palace and gardens are close as well, being on the south side. The area directly around the hotel has great little restaurants and some happening nightclubs which really pick up late at night. But not to worry-the Silla rooms are very quiet. My room was HUGE. Great bed and bath. Huge TV (as if you'd want to watch tv in a city like this!). Appreciated the hotel wireless Internet. This was the first I'd had in my stays from Rome through Tuscany to Florence. Wonderful breakfasts on the terrace overlooking the river.
    For the tourist staying longer, there's also a convenient launderette minutes across the bridge. I would definitely stay here again as opposed to a spot north of the Arno - I liked the less congested neighborhood but still central conveniences.
    And truly a well-kept establishment with very professional staff. And as a middle-aged American female, who can't not love those flirty good-looking Italian hotel staff members?!

More about Silla Hotel

Loved Hotel Silla

The hotel was amazing and beautiful. The service was great and the rooms were clean. Every morning we were served breakfast in a pretty breakfast room. It was really nice and tasty!! The staff was great as well. They were very helpful when directions were or restaurant recommendations were needed. I would recommed Hotel Silla to anyone traveling to Florence!

Hotel Silla still Wonderful after 20 years

by TripAdvisor Member BigDonDon

We first stayed at the Hotel Silla 20 years ago. Then it was called Hotel Pension Silla. It had been recommended by my daughter's friend. We loved it then! I just returned from 30 days in Italy and the Hotel Silla is still one of the best. Lovingly maintained by the same owners, my spacious room had a great view of the river and the Duomo in Florence. It's an easy walk or inexpensive taxi ride to all the major Florentine attractions.You can depend on friendly, high quality service. I stayed in 3 to 5 star hotels and this one was underrated. Book the Silla with confidence!

Good Find

Hotel Silla was a good find....clean, in a good location and with a helpful, friendly staff who booked museum reservations and gave shopping directions with a smile. I would stay there again.

Nice hotel

Hotel Silla is nicely located in the middle a triangle made up by the city center, Pitti Palace and Piazzo Michelangelo. The best way to explore the city is by foot, so location means a lot. On the other hand, if you do not wish to move around and want step right onto a shopping street or the main sights right in the cit centre from your hotel, don't choose Silla. But if you like to stroll around the city and expect to see the myriad of different places, then Sillas location is ideal.

Other reviews at TripAdvisor had also raised our hopes quite a lot for the hotel. Compared with this expectation, the hotel turned out to be quite neutral instead of exceptional. Interior decoration is minimal, hallways remind mostly of dorms and rooms are very simple and spartan. Our room was towards the Arno-river, which was nice, except that the traffic from busy street along the river echoed to the room throughout the night - light sleepers be aware.

Hotel staff was friendly, but nothing out of the ordinary or what you might expect from any service. Also, there is no restaurant at the hotel, which isn't a big deal really, Florence is filled with nice places to eat, but still, no such service exist.

So would we return to Silla? Not automatically without looking for options first, but Silla is simply nice. Good hotel, but not exceptional.

Really Nice Place

Four of us stayed at the Hotel Silla in February. We found it to be clean and well maintained. The bathrooms were spotless. The staff was very helpful, attentive and full of good restaurant suggestions.
The places they recommended felt authentic and the food was always good.

The hotel was very well located from our point of view; easy walking distance to the Duomo and the
Pontevecchio. The front of the hotel overlooks a small
park and the Arno. For us it was special.

Breakfasts were similar to most other nice hotels. Yogurts, sweet rolls, granolas, cappuchino. Plenty for
an adequate start to the day.

Try getting a room that looks over the Arno. Some of the other rooms open onto a narrow street where the reverberation of scooters can sometimes be disturbing.

We came to like the place and would stay again upon
a return to Florence.

A bit noisy, but very charming

by TripAdvisor Member DaisyDancer

There were 6 of us who stayed at the Silla for several days in April. (My husband and I had never been to Italy before, so we have no basis for comparison with any other hotels.)
The Hotel Silla is very clean, very charming, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel was a convent at one time, hence the many narrow halls, arched ceilings and little rooms. You feel like you are walking thru a castle when you are just going from the lift to your room!
We were quite comfortable in our room, and the bathroom was fine (shower, no tub).
We were given clean towels and soap, every single day, and the bed was made every day. Our room looked out on the river, and as there is a busy street between, it could get noisy at night. We just used earplugs and had no problems sleeping.
The breakfast is yummy! It is buffet-style, but the hard-working ladies will bring you coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate, all you have to do is ask. The food offered was two kinds of dry cereal, scrambled eggs, slices of ham and cheese, every sort of roll/croissant you can imagine, bread, little wedges of cheese, jams, honey and butter, fresh fruit (one morning there was a huge bowl of fresh, sliced strawberries), yogurt (plain and fruit), milk and 2 kinds of juice, usually orange and grapefruit. There is a microwave to heat things up in. It was hard not to stuff myself!

The hotel is within walking distance of several very nice restaurants, and several little shops selling everything from fine quality leather goods to Pinocchios to postcards. It is also walking distance to the Pitti Palace, and on the other side of the river, the Uffizi, etc.
I was just 3 months out of a total knee replacement and was able to get everywhere (used a cane) with little trouble.

The staff was also very kind. Every night, my husband would take a ziplock bag down to the bar area and ask for ice cubes, then bring it back up to the room so I could ice my knee! They had no problem with that.

We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Silla and would stay there again.

great hotel

The hotel is located on the left bank of the Arno River away from the noisy tourist area.
The hotel is well kept, very clean and the staff is great. They serve breakfast on a wonderful terrace overlooking the garden in front of the hotel. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member janetc20

This hotel was recommended to me by friends and it was great. The front desk staff were so helpful to us in our first visit to Florence. The room was clean and comfortable and the location of the hotel was very convenient. Also, the breakfast was included which consisted of plenty of options (although not an American breakfast, I surely didn't go hungry!) and the lady in the breakfast room always had our American Coffee with Milk on the way when we came in. Great staff, great place...Wouldn't hesitate to go back -- as often as I can manage it!

Very nice indeed

Well recommended. The hotel was well located and our room had a view of the Arno, the Duomo and the Bell Tower. Once the trees bloom much of that may be obscured but trees too are a lovely view. There is a lovely terrace that we didn't use because it was still a little cool outside.

Breakfast was simple though filling and the cappuccino was fabulous.

We were close enough to walk to everything. A short walk to the Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi and a pleasant stroll to the Duomo. (I should note that we like to walk)

The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Their restaurant recommendations were great and led us to some great choices. Though the neighborhood is quiet there is a restaurant on the same block. We went there out of laziness since it was nearby and were pleasantly surprised to learn that it was full of locals - our litalian was handy here.

The room is pleasant and the windows are quite large and they open like french doors. With the iron railing it was like having a balcony. Everything was clean and the bed was comfortable.

We certainly recommend the Silla. Church bells rang as we arrived and departed, coincidence?? (they never woke us though)

We had listened to some Italian language CDs before our trip. While not necessary it made our trip that much mroe pleasant as the Italians seemed to appreciate our having made the effort.

Also - consider taking up the Italian habit of long lunches. It is a great way to rest between vigorous sightseeing morning and afternoon. Then you can end the day with a light dinner and vino de la casa.

Ciao.