Soggiorno Bartolini

AMOMA.com

Good For No Data

More about Florence

BaptisteryBaptistery

A romantic view of Ponte Vecchio from P. TrinitaA romantic view of Ponte Vecchio from P. Trinita

Me in Florence -- not my bike...Me in Florence -- not my bike...

Ceiling of the BaptisteryCeiling of the Baptistery

McDonalds Florence

by Ladymarian1

OK I know its probably not the done thing to ask for a McDonalds - case of the old piggy bank - we're wrinklies and hope to have some fun - does anyone please know the address of the local McDonalds or other fast food restaurants where we can get a cheap mid day bite. All replies greatly appreciated - our kids have disowned us - but more realistically got bitten by the travel bug as well!

by ghosthunter

Hiya, There is a Mcdonald's adjoining the main railway station & i remember another one somewhere near to Boboli Gardens ( giardino di boboli ) but the one at the station will be closest if you are in the city centre, Darren.

by qaminari

There is one by the Santa Maria Novella railway station (Pïazza della Stazione) but I would have thought you could easily buy panini or something just as cheap, but with local flavour from almost anywhere (e.g. at Piero, Piazza del Duomo).

by effeti

:-(

by Marianne2

It's so easy to find delightful non-expensive foods in the small markets, delis, and also supermarkets, rather than eat in some McDonalds, if you are on a stict budget. I carry a small shopping bag with me, buy some local bread and any variety of ham, cheeses, olives, fresh veggies, and fruits. This makes for a much healthier diet, too. Panini and pizza by the slice are also good ideas. You should look for these places in back-street neighborhoods, not the well-touristed areas. And then, you'll also find a more authentic view of Italian life, if you are interested.

by Lhenne1

When I was briefly living there I admit I had a one-time hankering for something that tasted like home. So I caved in and stopped one evening at the McDonalds I passed daily on my walk home from class.

To get there:
From the Duomo, follow Via de'Martelli (it turns into Cavour) for about 2 blocks. McDonalds will be on your left.

But I can't help but reiterate what other people have mentioned, it is certainly possible to find delicious, inexpensive food in Florence. It's like any other city, there is a selection for all price ranges. Check out some of the Florence pages for the Restaurant Tips people offer. A lot of them (most, actually) will tell you approximately how much that particular restaurant charges per person.

Travel Tips for Florence

Piazza Michelangiolo...

by CandS

Watch the sun set at Piazza Michelangiolo, you will get a wonderful view of Florence... It's great to sit up there as the sun goes down and relax with someone special or friends. :)

It is easy enough to walk up there (although it's a long walk!) or (as we found out later) you can take a bus from the station.

Firenze Gelato Festival

by milliturtle

We were able to go to the first annual gelato festival in Florence held on May 28 to 31, 2010. Being big fans of gelato, we were quickly rearranging our travel plans to make sure we can at least do some of the activities.

Basically, the artisan gelato makers were invited to participate. Throughout the festival, there are activities for children (such as gelato making workshop), demonstrations, seminars, and tastings. You can get a gelato pass for 4 euros that will give you 5 tastings, or you can get a 1 tasting ticket for 1 euro. There are "artisan villages" at different locations in Florence, and we visited the location near the Duomo. There were 6 participants that morning and we tried from 5 of them. (10 am was a bit too early for gelato, so we couldn't have tasted more.)

Because this is a showcase for these master gelato makers, they serve some interesting flavours - we tried the marscapone, ricotta, green apple, cookies, and straciatella fiorentina (has alcohol). All good but my fabourites were green apple and marscapone. There were many more we wished we could try.

We couldn't find any of the other events, like the one where they make gelato using traditional equipment, so I cannot comment any further. Based on the schedule, there seems to be a lot going on in the next few days. The volunteers at the ticket booth were able to give us some pointers, but I wished there were more information out there in English.

I think there is potential for this festival (if they hold it again) but it will need to be better advertised. We saw two posters in the 2 days prior to the start of the festival. I spoke with a few other people and none of them know of the festival before hand.

The website I attached is in Italian, by the way. There really wasn't a lot of available information in English when we were researching our trip.

tons to choose from!

by kazander about San Lorenzo Market

There is so much at this market. It's a great place to pick up souveniers or gifts. I bought my suede jacket here when I was in highschool (see pic) and I was able to bargain the price down by $40.

Rourist bus

by croisbeauty

The tourist bus includes 15 stops of particular interest along the itinerary as following: Stazione FS - Martelli - San Marco - Colonna - Beccaria - Tintori - Zecca Vecchia - Piazzale - Galileo - Machiavelli - Porta Romana - San Felice - Tornabuoni - Antinori - Unita.
It is possible to get and off at every stop.
Bus frequency: every 30 minutes, from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. every 60 minutes. Timetable: summertime 9 a.m. to 11p.m., wintertime 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Price: adults € 20,00, children € 10,00, ticket is valid 24 hours.
Tickets can be bought on board, at some stops or in selected hotels.

AUTHENTIC CHEAP ITALIAN FOOD

by ENGLISHMANABROAD about TRATTORIA LA CASALINGA

THIS PLACE IS A FAMILY RUN BUSINESS POPULAR WITH THE LOCALS AND INFORMED STUDENTS / TOURISTS. THE FOOD IS AUTHENTIC NORTH ITALIAN FARE WITH A PIZZA NO WHERE TO BE SEEN !!

THE FOOD IS SOURCED FROM LOCAL PRODUCE AND FRESHLY PREPARED BY COOKS, WHO DESPITE THEIR SENIOR YEARS, PREPARE GORGEOUS FOOD IN KEEPING WITH LOCAL CUSTOM.IF THE LOCALS EAT IN SOMETHING MUST BE RIGHT ?? THE CLIENTELLE COVERED ALL AGE GROUPS.

WE HAD A SUBSTANTIAL 4 COURSE MEAL & DRINKS FOR LESS THAN 50 EUROS - BARGAIN !!

IF YOU WANT FANCY EXPENSIVE FOOD WITH OPULENT CORPORATE SURROUNDINGS AND SLICK SERVICE THEN THIS IS NOT FOR YOU,IF LIKE ME HOWEVER YOU WANT THE REAL FEEL / TASTE OF ITALY; GREAT FOOD,ATMOSPHERE,FRIENDSHIP AND GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU....A GOLD MINE

(I USED TO LIVE IN ITALY FOR 3 YEARS SO I THINK I HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE OF ITALIAN FOOD)

BE SURE TO CHECK IT OUT !! MY FAVOURITE DISH ,WHOSE NAME ESCAPES ME RIGHT NOW (I AM AT WORK !! ) WAS THE GRILLED PORK CHOP SERVED WITH SAUTEED POTATOES & MIXED SALAD...FRANKLY I COULD PRETTY MUCH EAT EVERYTHING ON THE MENU EXCEPT THE TRIPE (UGH!!!)

OTHER FAVOURITES ARE MOZZERALLA WITH PROSECUTTO HAM, TOMATOE BRUSCHETTA & SOMETHING I BELIEVE (LOOKED BAD TASTED GOOD) WAS LIVER PATE ON TOAST....AND THE RAVIOLI,CANNELONI,ETC ETC

Comments