Tornabuoni La Petite Suite

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

More about Florence

Ponte Vecchio & Arno RiverPonte Vecchio & Arno River

A defining landmark of Florentine skylineA defining landmark of Florentine skyline

copy of Michelangelo's David statuecopy of Michelangelo's David statue

Piazza della Signoria (Florence, Italy)Piazza della Signoria (Florence, Italy)

6 weeks in Firenze with a 1 yr old.. need info!

by MaggiesMom

Hi all-

I'll be in Firenze on business starting the end of this month (January) and staying until the first week of March. We're staying just off of Piazza Ognissanti. I have been to Firenze once before, but I now have my 1 yr old daughter in tow - so I'm hoping for some help and information from the locals.

Where can I buy baby supplies? I have a friend on business in Genova right now, who said "yes, diapers, wipes, etc in the supermarkets." - so that's a relief, but I *may* actually have to buy a crib (ugh). I looked to see if anyone listed anything on Craigslist for Florence - nothing. I found something called Kikiju? Kijuju? Anyway- it's similar, but I didn't see anything listed there either. If I had to buy one - is there somewhere in the city for baby furniture/toys/etc?

I realize it's winter, but I seem to recall mosquitoes so big that you could put a saddle on them and ride them around. Any of these things around this time of year?

Also .. any baby friendly fun suggestions? I know there are a few parks, but don't know if there are any with a playground or swings etc.

I always have the most wonderful time when I'm in Italy, but it never crossed my mind to look into these things before since .. well, i was *alone*. LOL!

Thank you so much in advance for any help!

Best-
Christine (Maggie's Mom!)

by gial1

hello!!!! My name is Sara, I live in Florence and I have a 6 months old baby (her name is Vittoria). There are many baby stores in Florence. For example CHICCO (it is a store which sells clothes, toys, bath products, all baby supplies). One CHICCO store is in VIALE LAVAGNINI (very close to PIAZZA DELLA LIBERTA').
Another big baby store is IOBIMBO (it is not in the city center though but in CAMPI BISENZIO, which is 20 minutes far from Florence city center). Thisstore is very big and cheaper than other baby stores. You can find a lot of products here, the only problem is that you can reach it by car (if you rented one you can go there)
If you need diapers, wipes etc you can easily find them in the supermarket (your friend is right).
If you want a crib, you can find it at CHICCO or IOBIMBO. I am almost sure that there is some baby store in the city center as well but they are more expensive than the ones you can find in the suburbs.
For mosquitos don't worry, right now it is cold and there are not mosquitos around, but maybe in march they will come back!!!
As far as parks are concerned, you can go at CASCINE, or also ALBERETA (south Florence).

by MaggiesMom

Hi Sara- thank you so much for all the info. We are staying not far from Santa Maria Novella - and there are apparently many car rental places nearby that we can rent from to go to io bimbo if need be. I found the Chicco store, and may just go the first day we are there and get a few things we need desperately and then take it from there.

I also found subito.it - and found someone selling a proper crib and mattress for 100 euro. Always good to have a backup plan!

Thanks again-
Christine

by gial1

you're welcome... another interesting store, if you rent a car, is IDEALBIMBO. This is one of the cheapest ones, and it has everything (clothes, toys, crubs, food, medicines). It is in Campi Bisnzio very close to the mall I GIGLI

by moonmom

Do you know the exact address of the CHICCO store in Florence? I need to buy a crib too for my 10 month old when we arrive in Florence next week! THank you.

Travel Tips for Florence

The Duomo --> The Campanile

by KiNyA

Personally I found the Campanile more impressive than the Dome. with its 95 meters is the Campanile 6 meters shorter than the Dome. It is clad in white, green and pink Tuscan marble. It has obvious Gothic windows.

The mime Grey

by paoseo

If you are lucky, or unlucky depending on how much humor you have,walking between Palazzo Uffizi and Palazzo Vecchio (or Palazzo della Signoria, same building)you could meet the mime Grey. He is great!!! Take a breathe in your cultural running. LOL

To buy gifts and souvenirs

by Karahan about Mercato Centrale

Actually, Mercato Centrale is a building where you can find daily home necessities like meat, vegetables, fruits etc. Looks like a big supermarket that has 2 floors. But at the same time, what makes it special is souvenir shops around the building. You can find many more shops on Via dell' Ariento. Almost everything about gifts. Leather products, gift of jewellery, bags, t-shirts, jerseys, trinkets, magnets and many more...

How to get around, are you...

by Sergiuz

How to get around, are you wondering? Ooohh..by car, by car, BY CAR, this is the order :-). Seriously, just in this way you'll be able to try all the shades, the changing landscapes, the awesome dramatic skylines, the breathtaking little towns appearing on the hill beneath the last bend of the road...

Outstanding Service!

by StuartSage about Ristorante La Posta

Service, Service, Service...!!!!

Aside from the asparagus on steroids that we were served...this was an experience that should not be missed.

A family restaurant that serves outstanding food and wine, served by real characters who obviously love their jobs!

We were given free desserts, free liquers after dinner and free coffee - for no apparent reason other than we had a waiter who took a shine to us - or it could have been due to the show my wife put on when returning from the ladies with her dress tucked into her underwear!!!

I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough - it was a fitting finale for our stay in Florence. The Entrecote Dragoncello

Asparagus so big they looked like small trees but tasted absolutely fantastic.

Comments