Torre di Ponzano

Torre di Ponzano - Chianti area - Tuscany -
Expedia.com Booking.com Venere.com

More about Florence

The house of Elizabeth Barrett BrowningThe house of Elizabeth Barrett Browning

View back to palace rear from Boboli gardensView back to palace rear from Boboli gardens

The CampanileThe Campanile

Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore ceilingBasilica di Santa Maria del Fiore ceiling

Airport perimeter

by sswinney

I read there is a bus which picks up and drops off JUST OUTSIDE THE AIRPORT PERIMETER. Exactly how far would I need to walk from the bus stop to the airport?

Thanks.

Sandy

by leics

I'm not sure about buses stopping outside the airport perimeter.....I expect most of them stop somewhere nearby, but I see no reason for getting off there..

Buses stop just outside the airport terminal, and I suspect that is what you have read. There's a small group of bus stops (almost a mini bus-station) and the railway station.

Walking time from either to the terminal building? Less than 2 minutes.

by leics

You will find route map for buses from Pisa to the airport (and elsewhere)here:

Click LAM Rosso for a list of stops and 'cartina' for the map. Clicking on the name of the stop brings up the timetable.

by mccalpin

J, the OP is talking about Florence, not Pisa.

Sandy, where do you want to take the bus to? Florence City Center or to another town?

I have not been to Florence's airport, but I would be amazed if the bus stop were a long walk. See
for a map of the bus route at the airport...no, it's hard to tell where everything is, but it would be unusual for an Italian airport to force buses to load far away...

Bill

by leics

J is not properly awake and offers her profuse apologies.

Pisa is the airport inextricably linked with Florence in the minds of so many of us who travel by budget airlines that it was an automatic brain blip.

Apologies again.

by mccalpin

Well, since the OP didn't explicitly name the airport as Peretola (or whatever), maybe you're still right ;-)

Bill

Travel Tips for Florence

Walk around Signoria Square ...

by maxovna

Walk around Signoria Square - a museum in the open air. I will especially miss the taste of the Italian ice-cream (Italy is the motherland of ice-cream) and the bronze boar - the talisman of Florence. If you want to come back, you must cajole the boar - insert a coin into its mouth and it must fall down through the rods of the iron-barred hole.

Locks on the Ponte Vecchio

by EllenH

I only knew about the locks on Ponte vecchio from Virtual tourist. I had read about the lovers attaching the locks and throwing the key into the arno river to forever seal their love. So when I was there I specifically looked for them and I overheard an English speaking tour guide tell her group that it was not an Italian tradition at all but rather an American one. I don't know if that is true or not but I thought it was pretty funny.

Columns

by leics

Easily missed, the two brown columns on either side of the East door of the Baptistry are, in fact, marble. They were a present from the Pisans around 1117, but were too weak to be incorporated into the building. It is said the Pisans deliberately ruined them by baking them in embers.

Dangerous happy hour-place

by Henrik_rrb about Shot café

This is one of the best places I've ever been to! Was a while ago now, but according to my sources the happy hour-prices are still the same.
It starts at 5pm, when all beers, drinks and everything else costs 1 euro. No less, no more. That's the price they have for the next hour.
After 6am the prices goes up to 2 euro for everything. After 7am it's 3 euro, and after 8am I would guess the prices stays fixed at 4 euro.

But then again, after having those prices for the whole afternoon not many persons will manage to continue at that time...

My best/worst time there was back in 2003, when me and my friends just stopped by to say "ciao" on our way to the train, that would take us back to Milan.

Had a beer just for fun with our friends. And then a drink.
And then another drink.

Then I needed to go to the toilet, but ended up in the box-room, where all the cleaning stuff were... Not easy to see the difference on two doors, after drinking that much...

In the end, shortly before 6.30 we were just about to have to run for the train, when Ola, my dear friend, said that I really had to try a "Runis", a famous drink that had gotten it's name from a swedish footballer (now in Fulham by the way) since it was his favourite drink at that bar.

Sure, couldn't jump on that opportunity... Drank it within 15 seconds, and then tried to run to the station. Somehow we managed to get there in time, and then slept very well for the whole trip back home...

The Shot Café is a bar, no more, no less. Not very fancy, not very cool. But still with some class.
And, most important, with both great prices, and great drinks!

If I have understand the whole thing right the bartender now is a guy called Gerrardo, who lived in Sweden (Norrköping) for a whole year.
Not sure if it's even possible, but apparently swedes gets even lower prices on the drinks during happy hour because of this!? :)

Remember, I warned you... Don't blame me when you wake up with a bad hungover the next day... Yep, sure... Every place that sells drinks for 1 euro also demands both a smoking and a tie at the entrance... ;)

The place have a very international feeling, and you'll definately meet a lot of people who aren't italian there. During happy hour there is also a very nice buffet to eat from.

Tourist Restaurants

by ForestqueenNYC about In Centro

I consider all restaurants in the center of Florence to be tourist restaurants. Some are better than others, of course, so I am writing about my favorites and my not so favorites. Comments are based on the food, the service and friendliness, the price, or the usability of the bathrooms without a hassle.

Comments