Piazza Santa Maria Novella 20, Florence, 50123, Italy

Hotels.com Travelocity Venere.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• “BEWARE!!! Read carefully - Dun stay unless you wa

Myself, my sister and 2 friends just checked out from this hotel 3 hours ago. We booked a quad room for 3 nights. On our 2nd day, i woke up at 6am to take a shower. Halfway through i realised that the water had difficulties flowing into the drain and when i finished and open the door i found that the water had flowed out to the bathroom and when i opened the bathroom door i saw that the water also flowed out to the bedroom floor which is made of wood. I called the reception to report and told them to send someone to the room to wipe the floor. Five minutes later, someone came to see the room. Then he went off to get 4 towels for us to put on the floor first and said he would send a porter later. An hour later we went out and my 2 friends came back in the afternoon and was told by the reception that we need to bear some responsibilities for the damages of the wooden floor in the room. My friends then told us and we went to speak to the receptionist. The one who spoke to my friends had gone back and we asked her if she knows anything about what the earlier receptionist told my friends. She said she did hear from the first receptionist. I then asked her about what the first receptionist said that we might need to bear some responsibilities for the damages. She said yes we will be charged 100 euros for the damages .

I was angry and i demand to speak to a manager but she said it's a weekend and the manager wasn' around. She told us to write to the director . I asked her to call the manager but she said she didn't know the number. I said it is unfair to simply charge the guest when it wasn't our fault and we didn't do anything at all. She said she's busy and she didn't know anything. She said all we can do is write in to the director and if we dun go back to our room immediately she would call the police. The fat lady at the receptionist was extremely rude.

I wrote to the director immediately but there was no reply. On the 3rd day, i asked another receptionist if the manager will be in. He gave us a name, Tony Lombardi and said the manager will only be in on Monday morning.

Last night we saw the fat receptionist and we asked her if there is any reply from the director and she told us that tomorrow morning someone will be here to handle our issue. This morning when we wanted to check out no one was there. We asked her and she said the manager wasn't in and she showed us the bill. She said they had checked properly and the damages if more than that. We were charged 250 euros instead of 100. We were really mad. How can we pay for something when we didn't do anything wrong or purposely causing the damages? The hotel sure admit that they have a bad drainage system and when we requested.for someone to mop the floor no one came. The fat receptionist told us we have to pay that amount or she would call the police. Are we criminals? We were accused and forced to pay. No one bothered to speak to us. There is no manager in charge to handle the matter professionally, only a rude receptionist. We were not given any choice, we were accused and forced to pay any amount stated on the bill. This is even worse than the Italian mafia. We were not treated like guests instead were were treated like criminals.

For those who wrote good reviews i'm sure nothing happened during their stay but if something happens maybe the shower head broke or the hair dryer stops working, i'm sure you will be treated like us.

I'm a frequent traveller and i have stayed in many many hotels all over the world. I've never encountered this problem with any hotels anywhere . Not one hotel can just simply accused their guest because of their own fault and forced their guest to bear the cost.

Directions: na

• Don't stay here unless you want your stuff stolen

My fiancee and I traveled Europe for 49 days after graduating from college. This trip took a great deal of planning as we planned everything out ourselves down to bus transportation. Trip Advisor was very helpful in pointing us in the right direction for hotels except Hotel Universo in Florence, Italy. We stayed in a lot of hotels and this one was by far the worst. It had nothing to do with the room, the cleanliness, or anything like that. We arrived at the hotel this past July during what seemed like the hottest time of year. The air conditioner our first night there was working poorly and could not be adjusted. We could here it run but the room was still hot. The next day after walking around all day in 105 degree heat we came back to our hotel and it was sweltering. We called down to see if the hotel staff was aware the A/C was broken and we were told that it would be resolved within the hour. After an hour passed and me and my fiancee could not stand the heat. She went down to the reception to see what was going on around 7pm. She waited down there about 4.5 hours with other guests that were outraged by the situation until someone came and they could not fix the problem. Now that it is 11:30 we are all finally provided a complementary room for the night at another hotel free of charge. It is 1 in the morning before we arrive to sleep for the night. Since we read all of the horror stories of things getting stolen from people, every hotel we stayed in we always left the "do not disturb sign" up. We walk back from the complementary hotel the next morning to the Hotel Universo which is kind of ridiculous after we waited in the lobby for a total of 5.5 hours the night before and didn't get to sleep until 1am. We walk to our room to find the do not disturb sign off the door and our room made up. At first we don't think anything of it but the next day my fiancee is missing one of her undergarments. We left everything at the Hotel Universo but the clothes on our back so our first instinct is to check the room inside out from top to bottom. After not finding it we think that maybe it was picked up in the bedding. We call down to reception and are told they will check laundry and call back in a half hour. One hour later we call back because we're just waiting for a response and it is not to be found with no apology offered. We keep calm and go buy her a new undergarment as we packed only enough clothes to fit in a backpack and she has just enough clothes to make it by. The next morning as we are sitting in the hotel watching TV our door suddenly opens and a shocked maid quickly pulls the do not disturb sign off the door. Her face looks surprised to see us in the room and we find it very odd that she would open the door without knocking at all. Shortly after this incident occurs my fiancee finds that another undergarment and an expensive shirt are gone. We immediately know that all three items had been stolen. My fiancee becomes irate as anyone would. This leads us to believe the maid had entered without knocking to help herself to more of my fiancees clothing. My fiancee immediately goes downstairs to bring it to the attention of the receptionist. He tells us that his "maids are honest" and we should check the room and that we probably misplaced it ourselves. We would not have accused anyone without first making sure of this. He offers no apology again and says all we can do is file a police report. It is the worst feeling to feel ignored as if no one is willing to help resolve the issue. At no point did he try to make it right by asking his staff about the issue. We tried to contact the main hotel manager Claudio Delli with no response as well as Laura Parato the assistant manager. We contacted them with regards to our situation on July 18th, 2011 they have made no attempt to recognize or apologize for our losses. I highly recommend you do not stay at this hotel or the Hotel Rosso 23, Hotel Balestri, Hotel L'Orologio, Hotel Santa Maria Novella, or the Hotel Villa Cora as these are owned by the same group. We feel in every incident their hotel staff acted very unprofessionally. They also neglected to take responsibility for the issues we presented to them. We were made to feel as though our problem didn't matter. This has been the worst experience I have had at any hotel. It's a shame.
    I only wish now that all of you will take our advice and that this will not happen to anyone else.

• cfuentesm's Profile Photo

Hotel Universo

It calls itself Hotel but it's not even a guesthouse. AVOID the Hotel Universo. They sell it to you as a firstc class hotel. Believe me, it is not. Dirty, ugly, expensive etc...

Comments