Via Puccinotti Francesco 44-48, Florence, Tuscany, 50129, Italy

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Villa Antea

More Luxury

by gabriellefox about Villa Antea Hotel

The luxurious Villa Antea Hotel, positioned in one of the most peaceful and elegant areas in the beautiful city of Florence, represents the very finest of Florentine hospitality. The property, dating back to 1903, combines beautifully-decorated interiors and lovely manicured gardens with a high standard of service, guaranteeing a very relaxing and pleasant stay. The hotel offers 6 elegantly-furnished and spacious double rooms, each equipped with individually-controlled air conditioning, comfortable king-size beds, high-speed Internet connection, safety deposit box, direct dial telephone, colour TV, walk-in closet, minibar with complimentary non-alcoholic drinks and hairdryer.

Each room is decorated with rare antique furniture pieces and precious tapestries, and features a spacious private bathroom entirely decorated in Carrara marble.

Inside View of the DomeInside View of the Dome

The dome from the bell towerThe dome from the bell tower

Performers outside of UffiziPerformers outside of Uffizi

Via dei Bentaccordi (Florence, Italy)Via dei Bentaccordi (Florence, Italy)

smn station at night

by fairyindadragon4rest

is it safe for 2 girls to be at the smn station for 2 to 3 hours in the middle of the night waiting to catch the first train out ???

by Laurel914

I'm hoping someone will be able to give you a better answer because although I was traveling solo, the latest I was out was probably midnight or a bit after. I definitely felt safe the entire time I was out. You won't be by yourself so later probably won't be a big deal. If you're staying in a hostel you could probably stay in the common room through the evening without a problem or the lobby or if you're staying in a hotel, the lobby should be fine too. I stayed at Academy Hostel (it's about a block from the Duomo) and I'm sure it would have been fine for me to stay in the common area until catching an early morning train so I'm guessing your hostel or hotel would be ok with it too. Good luck!

by leics

Although I too felt perfectly safe in Florence, I wasn't out in the middle of the night. I wouldn't feel comfortable hanging around any station anywhere at that time, to be honest: there are usually few, if any, staff around.

The suggestion above is a good one, and then maybe getting a taxi to the station if it's some way to walk?

by campromise

by footstool

i was in Florence in 2006. The Santa Maria Novella area was full of seedy characters and street people in the middle of the day. Mostly they were student-types. All I can say is Stay Awake, and keep all cash and passports in your front pants pockets.

by leics

I'm afraid I disagree about your perception of SM Novella. I have been in Florence (and Italy) several times over the past couple of years and I would certainly not say SM Novella was 'full' of seedy-looking people in the daytime.

Wherever there is a main railway station in Europe you will see some poorer people (and 'students'), simply because those who can afford a car generally use it. And of course stations attract transients of all types, including those looking for theft opportunities: that's normal (especially in tourist-popular areas). SM Novella is no better and no worse than any other European station I have passed through.

One should not judge by appearaces in any case, but it is simple common sense that hanging around anywhere likely to be fairly deserted in the middle of the night (be it station or city centre) is not a particularly sensible thing to do. One's gender is irrelevant. I wouldn't recommend it in the UK, nor would I recommend it anywhere else.

Travel Tips for Florence

Packing List

by syllybabe

I left my big suitcase in Rome and brought a carry on with me to Florence. It's easier to take on the train with you and roomy enough to add all the things you bought. It rained most of the time when I was there so the umbrella was handy.

The MALL

by gial1 about Gucci Outlet

The mall is in Incisa. You can find all the best fashion designer stores there. There are
GUCCI, FENDI, ARMANI, ERMENEGILDO ZEGNA, HUGO BOSS, LA PERLA, VALENTINO, YVES SAINT LAURENT and others. You can buy shoes, bags, sunglasses, wallets, foulards and many many other things at an outlet price

How flowers move about

by jessicadf

I just loved this little flower scooter/truck/bike/whateveritis. Driving up this wide boulevard on the outskirts of Florence, as we headed to Fiesole, this was our first view of the city... quiet street with this little vehicle going down the road, with flowers in the back. Yes!

Eating at the trough

by tan1415 about Sostanza il Troia

We arrived real late at our hotel, and the hotel made reservations for us. As long as we arrive before 21.30..there should be room for us.
Arriving there place was packed. 90% was locals.
We were seated at the a table with an italian local couple right besides the kitchen. They seem to know everyone...cause people kept passing by to say hello and shake there hands. But they didnt mind at all and was very gracious that a couple tourists sat at their table.

Again the menu was not extensive at all. Reading the online reviews i immediately know what i wanted. The butter chicken and the bistecca. That was no problem. We got the bistecca for 500gr. I noticed that most of the cuts they have are rather small. So even at 500gr the Bistecca was sufficemtly thick.

The owner advised as to order as primi the artichoke Omelet...and this trifecta made for an incredible and unforgettable dinner.

The signature of this restaurant seems to be simplicity combined with incredible taste. All dshes are so clean and seemingly straightforward ..just a dash of fresh pepper and the way we go into food heaven.

It made me wonder....why can't i do this. It all looks so simple....:)

Talking about simplicity...at another table they ordered just 1 dish.Pasta with butter.Thats it. They ate it with gusto and to be honest...looks tasty to me too.

All i can say is...really want to return again and just try everything on the menu.

They also served the best bread with teh dinner compared with other restaurants here.

The price at the end was just €67 euros for two. Thast so cheap IMO. The price of water at just 2€ for a liter mineral water is just incredible. Great great value.

If u must try a real local tuscan cuisine...come here. You wont be dissappointed. And without the bistecca the price would be even cheaper. We ordered 3 dishes. All 3 dishes had one thing in common. It seemed so simple

Artichoke Omelet
Bistecca fiorentina
Butter Chicken

The omelet was so delicious. One of the best egg dishes ever. A must try for my dad and brother who simply love their eggs.

Bistecca Fiorentina...for years I wanted to try out the real thing. Now I understand why in the USA the best steakhouses are italian run. Here the owner asked me how I would like my steak...medium rare etc. I just said..make it the way its done tradionally. And i was not dissappointed. The bistecca was well grilled on the outside, but rare on the inside. I won't say it was rare as in bluish rare. But steak was bloodred.
The taste was delicious...steak was so tender. Even though in the cut i got there was no fillet. What truly surprised me..even though it was rare and bloody...all i tasted was the full beef flavour. No hint of the blood(metalic) or anything. If i was blindtasting I wont even realise that the meat i was eating was this rare. One of the best steaks ever. Better than Luger? I am not sure but its right up there. (definitely better than Sparks Steakhouse in NYC)

The ButterChicken..due to the distinct way it was served..it was obvious this and the omelets are the favourites. It comes served on a sizzling deep iron pan. Simply two lightly breaded chicket fillets fried in butter.It looks so simple and striaghtforward....but the taste. One of the best chicken dishes I ever tried, It was so damned tasty.
I didnt want to think how bad it was for my health while i used the bread the clean up the dish of all the butter sauce.

This is one of the best meals ever. Price quality, taste...simply perfect.

Comments