Ville Le Rondini

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Ville Le Rondini

Florence Villa

by dms1989or about Villa le Rondini

On the outskirts of Florence, They have a working olive farm so to speak. Very nice and rustic. Breakfast included and was good. Continetal type. Full bathroon with a badis<? Blowdryer in bathroom, small fridge in room. Windows open for the lovely fresh air. If you are not in main villa a car on property will pick you up. Short walk to city bus. Free bus tickets at Main Villa. Nice Easy to get around.Very nice staff. We brought home some of their olive oil. Yumm Beautiful view of Duomo in Florence as Villa is on top of a Hill, beautiful gardens, spacious rooms for anywhere, sofa included! Acres of olive trees. Beautiful villa property and surrounding sites.

Ponte alla Carraia, Firenze (Florence), ItalyPonte alla Carraia, Firenze (Florence), Italy

Santa Maria NovelaSanta Maria Novela

Hello Neptune!Hello Neptune!

Outdoor gallery in Piazza della SignoriaOutdoor gallery in Piazza della Signoria

Oltarno neighborhood

by wayfinder45

I'm interested in booking an apartment in the Oltarno neighborhood near Ponte Vecchio for my family of 5 (including a couple of teens). From what I've read, the neighborhood looks interesting and a bit off the beaten path, which I like. I've heard it described as "bohemian" which will certainly appeal to my teens. However, I'm curious as to why the rental rates are so much lower there. Is the neighborhood safe? Are there parts of this district that I should avoid? Maybe I've just discovered a great deal, but wanted to check with fellow VTers who may know this area well.

by kathymof

I rented an apartment in the Oltrano and it was wonderful. It is not touristy like the area to the north of the river. There are many nice little cafes in the area. It is perfectly safe.

by leics

I didn't stay there, but wandered it several times (single middle-aged female). Perfectly safe, with cafes and restaurants but fewer than in the main part of the city (Oltrano is more residential, I think).

I don't, in all honesty, think I would call it 'bohemian' (which to me implies artists and students, cafe society and philosophical creativity). To me it's more like an ordinary working & residential area.

It's cheaper, I imagine, just because it's quite a long way from what people want to see. You'll have to walk further and cross the river to get in and out of the main city. But I would have no hestitation in staying there.

by kathymof

I agree completely - there are some workshops but it really wasn't Bohemian. It was a longer walk but perfectly doable in my opinion. Never even considered taking a bus or taxi to get into the center of the touristy area.

by leics

I didn't consider it either. I rarely do anywhere,to be honest, unless I'm going on a daytrip.

But not everyone feels happy about walking long-ish distances, I suppose. And the Ponte Vecchio is horribly thronged with people for much of many days of the year, so crossing it isn't a great deal of fun (there are other bridges, of course, but they are slightly out of the way for the historical centre).

There are a few small electric (?) buses which can negotiate some of the narrow Medieval streets in the histporical centre. You can find info and maps of their routes in English here (sorry if it stretches the forum):

by lgault

We just got back from our honeymoon in Florence and Oltrano was our favorite part of Florence. We actually stayed on the other side near the Duomo and wished we had stayed on the Oltrano side. I wouldn't call it Bohemian, but it did have alot of really interesting and unique shops. And we both thought the best resturants. It has a very different vibe than the more touristy side of the city. I wouldn't say it is a long walk at all. It never took us more than an easy 10 or 15 minute walk to get back to out room by the Duomo and that was when we went all the way to the wall. We walked around all the time at night without a problem. The reviewer who said that the Pointe Vecchio is a pain and crowded with people is right, but we just went down one bridge to cross and it was easy.

Travel Tips for Florence

Next stop, the Galleria degli...

by Barbara2

Next stop, the Galleria degli Uffizi. Now here we did have to wait in line to get in. It was a pleasent wait, however, with interesting travelers to talk with and artists to watch as they work at their easels in the courtyard.

Check out Vechia Maggio. This...

by jessicadf

Check out Vechia Maggio. This is a very old palazzo, on top of a hill in the middle of the Chianti valley. Centuries ago, the locals celebrated their spring festivals here. More recently, this was the outdoor location used for the Kenneth Brannagh production of 'Much Ado About Nothing.' Lovely!

Irish pub in Italy

by HELEN about The Williams

An irish pub in Italy. Fun, relaxing atmosphere. This place is bid in relation to Italian standards. You can sit at the tables outside or hang out at the bar inside. The crowd was young and hip. The men are very flirtatious and forward. But girls, watch out for the women, then are very possessive of their men.

Italian Food

by mileslunn

If you are a fan of Italian food, you will definitely love Italy as the dishes are far better than what you will get at a typical Italian restaurant elsewhere. For starters, prosciutto or carpaccio are the best. For first course, try anyone of their pastas and don't worry if you are unsure of them as unlike in most Canadian and American restaurants where there are only a few good pastas, most will be good here. For the secondi, try either their Veal or Pesci (fish), while for desserts, their gelatos or sorbettos are the best. In addition you can get a gelato at many ice cream places. For drinks, wine is the most popular, but if like me, you prefer beer, that works too. For dessert, though try some of their lemoncello, which is more popular in the South of Italy, but also served in Florence. Their espresso and capuccinos are small compared to what most are used to, but are much stronger so don't have them if you are up late unless you want to be up all night. Instead, order a decaffeinated one if in the evening.

Comments