XXVII Aprile Bed & Breakfast

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Florence

Inside the 11th century Santi Apostoli churchInside the 11th century Santi Apostoli church

CastleCastle

copper bas reliefcopper bas relief

At Ponte VechioAt Ponte Vechio

weather.

by xxsentiaxx

Hey all,

I'm heading to Florence tomorrow and will arrive on Friday the 18th. I read on the weather page that it's supposed to be rainy. Do you think i'll need an umbrella or will a raincoat suffice? I'm bringing very little luggage so if I can save space that'd be great. However, I don't want to be caught in torrential rain with no umbrella...

by kathymof

Personally I would take a rain coat. The smaller umbrellas that fit well in suitcases are almost useless when even the slightest breeze comes up.

by royalempress

I agree with the above post, wind could be a problem. We found travel raincoats that fit in a small pouch but are really quite durable and long lasting. The raincoats come with a hood which is also nice. Your local travel shop should carry them.
Mike

by leics

I agree too. A light raincoat is a much better idea.....umbrellas are a real nuisance in cities, and don't actually keep you very dry in heavy rain anyway.

by nomad7890

You may also bring some protection for your luggage. Personally I always pack all clothing in plastic bags - but as an alternative, I have brought a dry cleaning bag which is very light and simply draped it over the luggage.

by kathymof

Yes the luggage protection is a great idea. I always carry a couple ziplock bags in my purse so that I can protect my camera, cell phone and passport in a downpour.

by SunnyTravel

The best decision is to take small raincoat with you or to buy unexpensive umbrella in Florence ;) You can leave it there and don't occupy too much precious space in the luggage with such things

by Beausoleil

We always take both umbrella and raincoats. Wish we had had boots on the last trip! Get one of those tiny folding umbrellas. They actually fit into a purse. The umbrella isn't great in the wind, but I wear glasses so really like to have something to keep my "windshield" clear. If it's windy, anything below your raincoat will get soaked anyway. Just get wet and enjoy it. We visited Guedelon last May in a major rainstorm and were covered with mud up to our knees . . . but my glasses were dry. LOL

Look at it as one of life's little adventures. 8^)

Travel Tips for Florence

Roll a coin down his snout and you'll return

by guell

Master Pietro Tacca originally sculpted this bronze boar, located in front of the Mercato Nuovo, in the early 17th century.

It is said that rolling a coin down its snout into the fountain brings good luck, and that whoever does so will not fail to return to Florence one day.

SWEPTEMBER THE 7TH FESTA DELLA RIFICOLONA

by gial1

Every september, the 7th, in Florence there is a traditional festival called Festa della Rificolona. It is a tradition since the 17th century. By that time, every September the 7th, many people living in the country and mountains around Florence, were coming in Florence with their wives, in order to celebrate the nativity of Mother Mary in Santissima Annunziata Cathedral, and in order to participate, the day after, to the fair organized in the square in front of the Cathedral and in Via de’ Servi (Servi street). In order to gain the best place at the fair (so that their products could be seen and sold by cliets) these people used ton go in the square and in via de Servi after the celebration of Mother Mary and to stay in those places the whole night of the 7th. But these streets were dark so these people used lamps in order to see. These lamps had many different shapes and colors, and they were made with paper. These people were singing the whole night. Nowadays in September the 7th, in the city center, you can see kids with colourful paper lamps who go around Florence singing “ONA ONA ONA MA CHE BELLA RIFICOLONA!”

Prato

by GeoDenia

Although lying 17km north-west of Florence, Prato has been caught up in the urban and industrial sprawl of the big city. Prato was founded by the Ligurians but was taken over by the Etruscans and the Romans. In the 11th century it was an important wool-production centre, and today it is still one of Italy's major textile producers. The old, walled city is fortunately an intact historic island in the industrial surrounds. It features palaces, the impressive municipal art gallery and a magnificent cathedral, with a façade by della Robbia and frescoes by Filippo Lippi, Uccello and Gaddi; the cathedral houses the Virgin's Girdle, which in the painting by Gaddi looks not unlike a hippie's handbag. The centre also features an imperial castle, built during the 13th century.

More cool ways to see things....

by unigirl about On the Streets

The streets of a February evening in Florence are excellent for people watching - it was cold and brisk this evening and I just loved stopping what I was doing and just watching people going on with life. Ordinary Florentines just wanting to go home, either oblivious or annoyed at the constant throng of tourists that are in their city! I am glad they are so generous as to put up with us all the time! Dress warmly and bring something waterproof! It can be damp and cold!

Fantastic Pizza

by fdrich29 about Gusto Leo

This was one of the highlights of my frustrating day in Firenze. Gusto Leo was just across from our hotel and we went there not having enough time to venture too far. At the risk of missing a far better restaurant we decided to eat here, and we were really glad we did. We didn't order anything fancy, just a couple pizzas, soda and water, but it was a great find and great pizza. They also have a cooler with various drinks for sale to take away. This was the only place we found those really big bottle of of The' and we grabbed a few for the hotel and the next day's drive to Sorrento. The waitress was really nice and attentive. This restaurant may have saved me from being a total grouch for the entire night due to my troubles driving around Firenze earlier in the day. Pizza Napoli was fantastic. I had it for dinner and then again for lunch the following day. Absolutely incredible pizza.

Comments