Via San Cresci 31 - 32, Greve in Chianti, 50022, Italy
Booking.com MrandMrsSmith.com Priceline.com

More about Villa Bordoni

Stylish Tuscan boutique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member foxmore

My family and I always travel extensively throughout the year and know what we like and appreciate certain standards and Villa Bordoni did not disappoint us. Having visited Tuscany many years ago - very near Greve - we were looking for a stylish "boutique" hotel which could tick all the boxes for us (particularly our 2 children: 11 and 13) for 10 days in Italy which was not a tourist trap. The setting is lovely - even though up a dirt track - which seemed precarious initally but easy to navigate after a day or so. David and Catherine (the owners) employed an extremely talented Florentine designer who helped restore the house sympathetically and the results are really lovely and to be admired. We were well looked after throughout our stay - which can often detriorate over a period of time - but this was not the case. Saman (not sure of the spelling) was charm itself and we all appreciated the attention to detail he gave us. Francesco - the chef - is extremely talented and produced a lovely and well thought out menu using fresh produce. Sadly the service at supper can be slow - compared to the usual fast pace of life - but the quality is never impaired. Make sure to cover yourself in mosquito spray in the evenings - we were bitten alive on the first night in the beautiful gardens whilst waiting for supper! I used the outdoor gym every day - early morning - and thought it ideal overlooking the pool. Both children loved the pool - but thought it became "busy" when everyone was there. The rooms were extremely comfortable with fresh linen every day which was a real treat and much appreciated - the housemaids were very smiley and efficient. It is ideally located for exploring Chianti and David is a wealth of knowledge on local vineyards for wine tastings - it was always service with a smile!

I would really recommend Villa Bordoni to anyone looking for a really stylish small hotel away from it all and we wish it well for the future - a great find for us and we were sorry to leave.......

Beautiful Chianti Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member Lilykins1

My husband and I stayed here last summer and had a pleasurable time. Greve, the town where the villa is located near is charming and the villa itself is quite nice. The only thing I didn't like was that on our first night we stayed in a room where the windows were at the top of the wall, even though it was located on the first floor. It was nicely decorated, but a discount should definitely be offered for this room because there is no view...of anything. That being said, once we did move, I was just very pleased with our entire stay. The bar is charming, the food fantastic and we even had a private cooking lesson with the chef and his sous chef. They were both talented and fun and the dinner we helped prepare was served to all of the guests that evening!

The decor is lovely in both the common areas and the bathrooms are top notch. The toiletries (one of my favorite things at hotels) were really nice also. I would highly recommend this villa for anyone wanting a serene getaway with great food and wine to go along with it!

Genuinely great

by TripAdvisor Member MikeRea

Once we found Villa Bordoni (a feat that was beyond the car's satnav... We'd not taken any directions with us...), it's fair to say that we fell in love with the property. Developed with real taste and decorative flair, the property is genuinely gorgeous - the interior and the pool setting with its salt water pool and fairly private lounging areas. We stayed in the Frantoio 'suite' - a conversion of the old olive oil press building at the front of the hotel, with downstairs sitting room and two rooms upstairs - perfect for the kids and us. There's no view from the room, but that's a minor gripe - the rooms are lovely and tastefully incorporate quiet air-con, hidden TVs, etc.

We took many more meals at the hotel's restaurant than we'd expected - a tribute to the excellent food and the perfect touch of the owner David in recommendations and tips on wines, things to do, etc. - although there is a wonderful choice of vineyards and restaurants locally. It was a wrench to leave the hotel at any time, and we probably spent more time by that pool reading/ relaxing than planned, but it is such a beautiful setting... I cycled every day, but would urge caution - there are no easy or medium routes around the roads or hills near the hotel, and you'll need a mountain bike...

All of the staff at the hotel deployed a deft touch, and we all felt genuinely welcome. We will be back - it already feels a shame to not be there - maybe in spring or late autumn when venturing into the cities nearby won't seem so much work... We did try Siena (weren't impressed), but Florence was lovely (great meal at Quatro Leoni).

Thanks David - you have a real understanding for boutique hotel management, and Villa Bordoni is quite perfect.

Classic and Stylish

by TripAdvisor Member KAB_7

This hotel contributed enormously to the lovely holiday I have just experienced. The owner was very 'polished' in his approach to customer service, a true professional.
We has a junior suite - a good size, fantastic decoration and beautiful fixtures and fittings. We enjoyed the picturesque views of the Tuscan countryside from our bedroom window.
I enjoyed the food enormously, I even had a go at cooking myself, so that I can try to recreate some of the experience at home!! I hope to visit again soon.
Many thanks for a superb stay,
Kate

Beautiful Tuscan Villa

by TripAdvisor Member BostonJillian123

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights during a trip that took us through Maremma, Siena, and finally Greve in Chianti. Villa Bordoni was the best experience we had while in Italy, even better than the "nicer" hotel in Maremma. It is a a product of love by two owners, staff and a wonderful chef and you feel this from the moment you enter. It has an upscale feel, with excellent shabby chic design, but does not abandon any of the rustic, tuscan culture you would want to feel while in Tuscany. The owners are restaurateurs with restaurants in Florence, and they know the epicurean scene in the area. The staff was really amazing and we had wonderful conversations with the main house helper, sommelier and they are truly passionate about their heritage and what the local land has to offer...from food to wine to sightseeing. I long to again be by the pool with an olive tree over my head, the smell of dinner coming from the villa and the thought of enjoying a fine digestivo during a quiet, romantic evening in the hills of Tuscany.

One of our favorite hotels ever!

by TripAdvisor Member Jsk53

We recently spent 5 nights at the Villa Bordoni. We booked it on a recommendation from friends who spent a week here with their twin toddlers in March 2006, shortly after it opened. Despite traveling with a 4 week old newborn and a 3 year old, we enjoyed every moment of our stay. Not only is the villa gorgeous, the service is amazing and the food superb. (We had the best pasta of our lives here, and that's no exaggeration.) David and Catherine, the owners, are so gracious and helpful and, best of all, constantly around to help with whatever you need. When you travel with small children, service is perhaps the most important factor in making for a pleasant stay. The attention to detail and their helpfulness was beyond Aman-like.
The rooms of the villa are gorgeous, especially the bathrooms. We love hotels like this that are sleek and modern, yet retain the character of the property. Some other hotels that we have particularly loved and are similar in this regard at the Widder Hotel in Zurich and the Henry Jones Art Hotel in Hobart. The grounds as well, particularly the garden where you can eat breakfast, are really lovely, romantic and yet simultaneously child-friendly.
The only thing to keep in mind is that the villa is a 10 minute drive uphill along narrow "white roads" (unpaved) through olive groves and vineyards. You must drive into Greve. If you want to be somewhere where you can walk into town or plan to come without a car, this is not an ideal hotel for you, although I know that David and Catherine will arrange car service for you. It's best to see Tuscany and Chianti by car, however, so I wouldn't come to the area without one. All in all, I can't recommend this hotel enough.

The best!!!

by TripAdvisor Member MASToronto

I can not say enough about this property! We recently returned from a week stay at Villa Bordoni - my husband and I travelling with another couple through Italy - by far our best experience of the trip! The owners - David and Catherine - as well as the restaurant manager Dabido made you feel right at home. The service and the hospitality they provided was beyond our expectations. The property offers a comfortable setting (with only 10 suites) with excellent ammenties - spacious and comfortable rooms and updated large bathrooms. Can't say enough about the food - the restaurant was amazing and offers an excellent wine cellar which we tried our best to enjoy. We imagined leaving the property more often for meals, but couldn't pull ourselves away. The front desk was also very helpful in setting up tours at wineries, etc. As well, the hotel location is perfect for day trips to Florence, Sienna, and Pisa. I hope to go back to Italy soon so I can enjoy more of their hospitality!

Villa Bordoni - may be ranked 4 stars but feels like 5!!!

by TripAdvisor Member spurg

We wanted to stay here for 3 nights but when we emailed to book, they were full. I then called them directly and they did find one night for us. Being way up there in the hilltops of chianti is truly magical and you will want to stay longer.

We checked in on October 13th and the light was spectacular. If you are looking for a unique small villa experience, look no further. Great food. Great people. Great energy. The long gravel road seems daunting at first, but there's a warm reception once you make it. The Gardner family only has 10 rooms here and they are all spanking brand new--designed by a florentine. Amazing tile work. Huge bathrooms. They get it here. The food is truly memorable. They offer cooking classes and our only regret was that we didn't have enough time to take one. There is a beatiful unheated salt water pool. The grounds are gorgeous. There's even a small open-air gym above the pool, with a stunning view of the valley below.

Cost: We paid 250 Euros for the the ground floor superior room. It was ideal for one night but would want upper floor if staying longer--and you should!

other tips:
TIP 2.) If you are into early morning light: walk up the old gravel path in the morning and watch the sunrise.

TIP 3.) Jump in the swimming pool no matter the temperature.

TIP 4.) Stay for dinner. There's a lovely snack hour between 6:30-7:30. They have a 3 and four course tasting menu each evening for dinner. The food was the best we've had in Italy. Both husband and wife are chefs with two restaurants in Florence, so they know their food.

Nice hotel, but definitely not great value

by TripAdvisor Member numbnutsEngland

We stayed at Villa Bordoni in September and enjoyed it. However, we didn't think that it was particularly good value for money. Overall, the location is really very nice, with the hotel approached via a mostly up-hill dirt track of over a mile through vineyards, so that your desination is well into the hills above Greve. The staff and owners are very friendly, but we felt that the service is at times too informal for a hotel charging these rates. A sense of extremely high-end, up-market B&B is maybe not too wide of the mark. To be fair though, the staff do go out of their way to be helpful e.g. booking dinner at local restaurants, when you ask them & giving excellent directions etc.
We were very excited about the restaurant, as being in Tuscanny, we were expecting fairly healthy portions of food for dinner. Although the food is good and really good quality ingredients used with a great and tasty menu, there is not a huge amount of it and you definitely want to go for the 4 course dinner, if you have a healthy appetite. Again, this restaurant is expensive, you are clearly on holiday and so you expect a hearty meal.
On the plus side, the rooms are really nice, very individual and comfortable, with great bathrooms. The breakfast terrace on a sunny morning is truly fantastic (and breakfast very good too) and the pool and outdoor gym very good.
Personally, I would not stay again at VB, as I don't think it is good enough value for money and that is because it is a very expensive hotel - but you will not go wrong for comfort, great rooms and good quality food if you stay there.

beautiful and relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member carpediemnyc

Wonderful villa with very attentive and kind service. It was lovely meeting all the friendly guests staying here from throughout the world. We stayed on the first floor room that is wheel chair accessible simply because it had the most amazing shower I had ever seen. Beautiful tiles with lots of wonderful water jets and a little bench. Take this room, enjoy the shower, and go outside to get your views since this room didn't have any. The bed was perfect and the sheets and blankets were so soft and fluffy. Sleeping was pure bliss. The included breakfast was plentiful and delicious. Dinner was expensive but yummy. Can't remember the name but a great, very reasonably priced Italian lunch or dinner could be had in Greve at a locally popular big restaurant. (The front desk could give you the name). Borrow bikes at the front desk and spend an afternoon riding in Greve...just remember all those hills you go down you'll have to ride or walk up on the way back. Don't go to the tourist shop in Greve because it is really a travel agent who will make a commission on everything she suggests and books in the area. The owners of the villa and the internet will be your best bet with booking anything. This villa is expensive so enjoy the property while you're here. i don't recommend using this as a home base for day trips because it's too nice and too expensive for that. You could spend days at the pool just relaxing and taking in the beautiful views of the country side. If you're lucky maybe your traveling partner could give you a pool side massage overlooking the vineyards. The pool chairs are so soft and comfortable and the little veranda that you have is so special. The outdoor shower next to the pool is decorated with the most beautiful smelling flowers and just looking at it is not enough, if you go inside and take a big whiff, you will not be disappointed. I'd suggest taking a cooking class with the chef here, after all, you are in Tuscany.The little details throughout the villa, the wonderful service, and the breathtaking views are so wonderful...you may never want to leave.

Comments