Cala Dei Santi
Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Il Pellicano

by Bigs

Monte Argentario is the archipelago in the south of the province of Grosseto. It´s a rocky place for the rich people from Rome etc.... even the dutch queen is going on holiday here! A lot of motoryachts are stationed here! I didn´t liked it that much, cause it was so crowded. Porto San Stefano was the worst, Porto Ercole on the other side was better. Have a look at my travelogue!

by sim1

I didn't really visit any of towns on Monte Argentario (Porto Ercole and Porto S. Stefano), but chose to do a scenic roundtour of the peninsula. The road to take to do that is the 'panoramica'. The name says it already, this road gives you some fantastic views! But there is a 'but' to this though.....

The further you go on the road, the worse the road gets. At the top it is just a dusty road with lots of bumps and rocks. And there is another 'scary' factor to it..... it is very small. It is so small that it is difficult for cars to pass each other. On the one side there is just a steep cliff down, no railing, no nothing. But in order to pass each other you need to go close to this side..... eeeks...... hahaha, not the best place to be when you are afraid of heights. But the view.... wow, that is worth it all! Beautiful!

Coast north of Rome

by breughel

FORUM REPLY.

You asked for a trip along the Italian coast. One possibility is of course in the south the well known and very nice and rocky coast between Sorrento and Amalfi.

The other possibility is to the north at the Monte Argentario peninsula.
Nice coast with a mix of typical harbours like Porto Santo Stefano, Porto Ercole and Talamone. Also large sand beaches under the pines near Orbetello and Ansedonia.
Weather in September is nice and there are not too much people in the week. Romans come here for the week-end; there are few foreigners on this coast.
You will find details under my tips for these destinations at 150 km north of Rome by the Via Aurelia.

Ciao.

by sim1

by Bigs

"Porto Ercole"

Monte Argentario is an archipelago in the south of the province of Grosseto. We have stopped there for a lunch as we visited the Giardino Dei Tarocchi in Capalbio. We first drove into Porto San Stefano there, but we didn´t found a parking in that chaos, so we decided to try the other side of the "Monte": Porto Ercole, the place were the Dutch monarchs are on holiday often.

"Yachts everywhere"

"Old Part of the town"

ARGENTARIO- Porto Ercole.ARGENTARIO- Porto Ercole.

Viareggio

by haleysmith

Hi to my helpful VT friends!
My family and I are staying in Viareggio for a week before exploring more of Tuscany (Florence, Siena and Porto Ercole). I am looking forward to seeing Lucca, Cinque Terra and Pisa but can anybody suggest any other places to visit or experiences to enjoy whilst in Viareggio? Will there be any opportunities to have a boat excursion, is it realistic to have a trip to Elba and any ideas about scuba diving? A lot of questions I know, but you're always so helpful - thank you! Haley

RE: Viareggio

by hivaoa1

please read my other post, i replied to you

Things to Do in Monte Argentario (Souther Tuscany)

by Flutz

Greetings all,

I'm going to be spending two weeks from boxing day until Jan 10th in Italy, and part of the time I will be spending with my friends who have rented a villa in Porto Ercole, with the Monte Argentario area of Tuscany (Grosetto). Has anyone stayed here before and can offer some tips on stuff to do? Can we get to Corsica from Monte Argentario? We are interested in day drip activities as well, to places such as the Saturnia sulpher springs in Manciano and to Pitigliano. I'd also love to see Siena but might do that as a solo day trip when I go to Florence on my own after a week in Monte Argentario.

We will have a car with us for the duration of the trip. My friends are staying there the entire time from Dec 22- Jan 7, and were looking for things to do for Christmas and New Year's.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Flutz

Looking for a beautiful little town/village max 2h from Rome

by julia_anh

We are planning a 5-day vacation in spring 2007, we have flights to Rome but would like to spend most of time outside the city, preferably near the sea. We'll have a car available. Due to the short stay, would like to find a nice, little, beautiful, peaceful location for a relaxing holiday, maximum 2-3 hours drive from Rome. Do you have any suggestions of nice places or hotels or resorts (reasonably priced), from where you can make short daytrips to the countryside?

Does anyone know what kind of weather we can expect in April?

(We have already seen the beautiful Napoli-Sorrento-Amalfi-area, now looking for something else, preferably as beautiful but less touristic.)

RE: Looking for a beautiful little town/village max 2h from Rome

by reyescd

This isn't by the sea but it is an incredibly beautiful little village, Tivoli. It sits about 45-50 minutes by train from Rome. It is really something to see for sure. Many restraunts looking out over the hills and beautiful scenery. The Villa De Este is there along with many other famous places to see.

RE: RE: Looking for a beautiful little town/village max 2h from Rome

by nicolaitan

I haven't been there, but friends stayed in the region of Porto Ercole a year ago and haven't stopped talking about how much they loved it.

RE: Looking for a beautiful little town/village max 2h from Rome

by estel642

We recently returned from Italy and spent the first two days near Rome. A previous reply mentioned Tivoli, which is east of Rome. We actually stayed in Villa Adrianna a few kilometers from Tivoli. We had a car, but drove to the train station, parked for free, and rode the train. The fare was only 6 or 8 Euro round-trip and include all day on the Metro. We stayed at Agriturismo La Ferrata - Villa Sdrianna, info@laferrata.it

It was very quite and peaceful. La Ferrata is an old farm house (actually located in the village)that has recently been refurbished. The rooms are very nice and there is a restaurant on the premises. Francesco, the host, speaks English and is very accomodating. We would definitely stay there again.

RE: RE: Looking for a beautiful little town/village max 2h from Rome

by julia_anh

Thanks for the replies so far, both Tivoli and Porto Ercole sound very nice! BR, Julia

Comments