Boston Hotel

Il quartiere Venezia Nuova, LivornoIl quartiere Venezia Nuova, Livorno

Quartiere Venezia, LivornoQuartiere Venezia, Livorno

Travel from Livorno to Rome

by debbymac

Has anyone traveled from Livorno to Rome before?
I'm trying to decide if a car service to Rome is better
than the train or not. Will I see more of the countryside
of Italy taking the train?

Also, from the port (arriving on NCL), is it easy to get
a bus to the train station? I've heard taxi's can be
expensive and it's not within walking distance.

by leics

You'll certainly pay a huge amount less by taking the train.

will give you times, fares and details in English.

As for countryside, I suspect neither will provide you with more......just a different view.

I believe bus number 1 goes from near the port area (the Piazza Grande) to the station. Timetables here:

This thread, on VT's sister site, may be helpful:

by craic

I have travelled from Livorno to Rome (and from Rome to Livorno) and it was certainly cheap and easy. BUT i had picked a busy day to travel and bought my ticket at the last minute - so I couldn't get a reserved seat and sat on a pull down seat in the corridor. I had a reserved seat from Rome to Livorno so no problem.
If you don't want to risk this make sure you reserve a seat. Also if you have plenty of luggage, and because you seem to be arriving from a cruise I thought this might be the case, please be aware that Italian trains do not have a checked luggage system, so you have to carry it all yourself.
If you have a great deal maybe think about first class where there is more room. If you check on trenitalia you will see it is not that much more expensive.

I don't know where you are arriving in Rome - but if it is anywhere near the centre I would be a nightmare arriving by car. What with the restricted zones and the madness of the driving.

The port is certainly not within walking distance but it is not that far! Maybe some taxi drivers take advantage? I can't see how it would cost more than 20-25 euros. If you decide to take a taxi ask the driver how much before you get in.

Quante costa stazione? or something like that will get the message across. Or if you are lucky he will speak english.

But most if not all the buses go to the station so that might work for you too. The ticket costs something like one euro but I am not sure if you have to buy the ticket before from somewhere like a newstand (I did) or if you can buy it from the driver. (You have to vailidate your ticket once you are on the bus.)

by craic

oh i see you were thinking of a car service to rome rather than driving yourself. That would certainly be convenient but very expensive.

by craic

ps the scenery from livorno to rome is not that amazing, no matter how you travel.

Travel Tips for Livorno

Museo civico Giovanni Fattori

by Azhut

Infos from the Museum site:

The important collection of paintings by Giovanni Fattori and the other "macchiaioli" and "post-macchiaioli" painters kept in Livorno - which was the city of Fattori's birth - has been rationally organised and given a worthy arrangement in the prestigious Villa Mimbelli. The exhibition route, along which there are 135 works by Fattori and by painters prevalently connected to the "macchia" school, encounters the special beauty of richly decorated and furnished rooms, giving life to an extraordinary cultural event. As well as the great paintings of battles and the other works by Fattori that constitute the main nucleus of the gallery, one can admire paintings by Pollastrini, Gambogi, Nomellini, Capiello, Lega, by the Tommasi, by Signorini, by Ulvi Liegi and by many others, in an ideal and precious anthology.
The Museum is located into Villa Mimbelli, via San Jacopo in Acquaviva.
Entrance: 8.000 (full price) - 5.000 (reduced)
Catalogue: 15.000 (special price at the G. Fattori Art Gallery)
Guided Visits: call 0586/808001 for information

Main Transport Connections

From the railway station: the no. 1 bus (stopping at Terrazza Mascagni and Piazza S. Jacopo in Acquaviva) or the no. 8 bus (stopping in Via Montebello)
From the ferry port: the no. 3 bus and then change to the no. 1 bus or the no. 8 bus

From the main connecting roads into the city: follow the road signs (direction Accademia Navale, Viale Italia).

Chiesa di Santa Caterina da Siena

by maykal

In the heart of Venezia Nuova is this church, which looks quite plain from the outside, just dull bricks and an octagonal belltower. But inside, the dome is impressively painted. It dates from the 1700s and actively welcomes visitors who dress respectfully (no shorts...).

I tried to take a few photos inside, but I haven't yet mastered the art of holding the camera steady without using the flash, so they are a bit blurred :(

I was about to start my walk back into town ...

by craic

... along what I found out to be an 18th century promenade, when I saw a young guy in speedos come up a tiny track.
So I went down the track thinking there was probably a beach and there was.
I hadn't yet found out how keen the Livornese are on the beach culture. And tanning. So I was surprised to see so many people had taken the mountain goat path down to this rocky beach. And to see a couple of them were very nearly done to a turn. Baked mahogany brown.

Old stuff

by craic

Livorno has got the old fortress on the harbour but in my wanderings I didn't see a lot of old stuff.
(And I never took a photo of the fortress. Dunno why. I did buy a fridge magnet of it. 7 euro!!!! Made me draw me breath in a bit but I really wanted a souvenir of Livorno. I also bought 31 Songs by Nick Hornby to give my son. But when I got home I found my daughter had sent it to him as a birthday present. Snap!)
Anyway. Old stuff.
Did they never have it? - I wondered to myself.
Were they just so pragmatic they ripped it down and built something useful?
Maybe a monster earthquake shook all the old stuff into piles of rubble.
Quite a puzzle.
Then I got talking to someone and they suggested that as the Allies landed on the coast near Livorno during WW2, maybe it all got blown to bits.
Having seen the bomb sites in Genoa, I thought this was quite a realistic assumption.
Just an afternote. I had such a lot of trouble finding somewhere to stay in Livorno on the internet. But when I got there hotels of all manner and description were thick on the ground.
See the hoarding pointing the way to yet another hotel?

PS I have been told this is the remains of a 19th century railway station.
And yes. Livorno got a hammering in WW2 because it had docks.

Running in Tuscany

by nrone

"Three sweaty weeks"

Just outside Livorno, in Tirrenia, I spent three weeks making the final preparations for the track and field season. I sure had a good time surrounded by sunny beaches, beautiful nature and runners from all over Europe.

Comments