Via Fontanella, 663, Localita San Filippo, Lucca, Tuscany, 55100, Italy
Booking.com Venere.com Travelocity

More about Lucca

Via Vittorio VenetoVia Vittorio Veneto

Saint George and the dragon.Saint George and the dragon.

Under the church floor........Under the church floor........

Cathedrale di San MartinoCathedrale di San Martino

Is Lucca driveable?

by hthistle

I will be in Tuscany with my 89-year-old mother and have rented a car. She has to use a walker so getting around on foot won't be too easy. Can one drive around in Lucca or must one walk most places?

by SLarke

Lucca is beautiful, we only stopped for dinner to meet friends so don't know it very well, but in my experience the centre was not at all driveable. From what I remember it's walled & there is a road that circles it but you have to park at one of the gates. I think the interior is quite small, although it's medieval & I'm not sure all of the paths are that well paved.

by travelgourmet

Yes, it is a walled city and there is parking within the walls. As mentioned, the area is not that large within the walls but a walker can be used. Perhaps you can find a wheelchair rental in the area.

by jamesfmunro

I would go with the wheelchair option. Even if you could get a car into the walled town, if would be a royal pain to drive there.

by hivaoa1

unless you have a car with the "handicapped on board" sign, you can't drive in lucca.

by Barbred

Cars are not allowed in most of Lucca, inside the walls, outside the Villas are lovely

by hivaoa1

well, u can drive in some parts inside the walls and you also find car parks inside the walls, of course you have to pay almost anywhere you park

by travelgourmet

Ciao, Chiara. I am glad you re-phased the no parking to some parking. You being a local, I find wisdom in your knowledge of Italy, but when you said "no parking inside the walls of Lucca, I thought that it must be a new law. When I went in 2005, there was parking near the wall on the inside, and the cost for the parking meter was not that bad. In fact, we walked around town, shopped, and even had lunch inside the walled city and then walked back to our car, still standing, still time in the meter, and even empty car spaces nearby. We then walked up the wall and had a great stroll. Lovely town, lovely Italy. As to the question, you are right as you cannot drive around in Lucca, and it is too small to want to keep getting in and out of a car every two blocks. To the writer of this question, I have a 90 year old mother with a walker, and she only has trouble on stairs, ever cobblestones don't bother her. Of course, she is Italian, so. lol

Travel Tips for Lucca

Mountains surrounding the city

by micas_pt

The day we visited Lucca was our second day in Tuscany and I was enjoying a lot the landscape - the plains spotted with some hills as I had seen on countless photos and books.

But it was only when I went to the top of Tower Guinigi that I noticed that Lucca was surrounded by mountains!! Although I hadn’t noticed it before, it struck my attention – the imposing mountains all around, as if Lucca was enclosed not only by the walls but also by the mountains. These mountains provide a majestic background to photos, even if they are not clearly seen on cloudy days.

Massaciuccoli lake

by Azhut

The Massaciuccoli lake basin and the Macchia Lucchese are a part of the Parco Naturale di Migliarino-San Rossore-Massaciuccoli, which, thanks to the various ecosystems of which it is composed of, presents a varied and highly interesting flora as well as a numerous fauna. The Lago di Massaciuccoli, with the marshy area that surrounds it, through its drainage canals, constitutes a humid coastal area whose waters are rich with fish and rare vegetable species, while amid the bog grass (Cladium mariscus) and the thin cane (Phragmites australis) passing and migratory birds build nests. The lake of Massaciuccoli is the residue of a delta lagoon formed by the Serchio and then segregated by the same river floods. .Deep not more than two meters has an abbundant fauna and flora and notable from a natural point of view .In the two centers on the lake bank, Torre del Lago and Massaciuccoli remain restaurants specialized in game and of lake products (fish and frogs).

Hot Chocolate Anyone ?

by sue_stone about Cafe del Mercato

Cafe del Mercato is located on the interesting Piazza Anfiteatro.

We stopped off at the cafe for a quick caffeine hit.

I ended up having a coffee, but Alex was transfixed by their house speciality - gourmet hot chocolates!!

There were 32 tempting flavours to choose from!! Alex had a mocha hot chocolate which was deemed to be delicious.......my coffee was pretty bad.

Best seat in the house

by klasher

We arrived in Lucca, rented bikes and found a great store that sold fresh bread, sandwiches and cheese. Pecorino cheese and picnic supplies in our bike basket, we picked up a small bottle of wine and headed up the wall to find a perfect spot for lunch. We ate and drank overlooking the distant mountains on the wall by a park. It was a very memorable lunch in Tuscany.

Church S Michele in Foro

by prleprle

The church of S. Michele in Foro is spectaculars and really impressive! The façade is higher then the roof and decorated by varied columns and rose-windows. Every single column is different; some are elaborately carved, some twisted and spiraling, others are like striped sweets. It looks like the whole church is built of the air, not of the stone. The church was built in 12th century over the ruins of a previous church and on the area of the ancient Forum of Roman Lucca. The great Archangel Michael crowns the top of the façade. I had to get back few times to see that church again and again.

Comments