Via del Seminario 5, Lucca, 55100, Italy
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Lucca

Villa BottiniVilla Bottini

Part of Lucca's formidable wallsPart of Lucca's formidable walls

Rather lovely fresco in the main churchRather lovely fresco in the main church

Napolean's SisterNapolean's Sister

Lucca to Viterbo

Hi
We are staying in Lucca for 4 days at the end of January 08 and then travelling to Viterbo to stay for 7 days (accommodation all prebooked). Can you please advise the best way of getting to Viterbo. From checking trains etc it looks as though we might have to hire a car - I'd prefer to do that later when we are in Viterbo if possible. Public transport is our preferred way of getting there.
Thanks heaps, ciao bertoli

by Jetgirly

Trenitalia shows regular train service with two transfers - generally first in Florence then again in Orte. The total trip time should be about five hours and the cost should be about EUR 22.

by mccalpin

www.italybus.it doesn't show any bus solutions for Lucca to Viterbo (which is not surprising).

www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html does show a number of rail solutions, but they tend to be 5.5 to 6.5 hours, with 2 or 3 changes of trains along the way.

www.viamichelin.com shows that the drive should be about 3 hours, with most of the trip on A-1 from Florence to the exit for Viterbo (most of the way to Rome). The A-1 drive is pretty simple.

So, unless you don't mind 6 hours on the train with several changes, maybe you should rethink where you will rent the car...

Bill

Thanks Jetgirly and Bill
I'll have to think about it -3 large adults in a little car with suitcases etc might be a bit squashy so we may go for the train after all. We'll hire a car in Viterbo for about 5 days to check out the Etruscan sites etc but I would prefer to wait until we've checked out Viterbo.
Thanks for your help. ciao bertoli

by bertoli11

Thought I'd let you know, we hired a cae after all and it made life so much easier. There had been random train strikes and we were glad that we were able to pile all of our stuff in the car and go diect to Viterbo. We should have had a car for most of the time we were in Lucca -we spent a lot of time on buses and at train stations trying to get around. Thanks for your help. ciao bertoli

Travel Tips for Lucca

Churches of Lucca

by micas_pt

Lucca is filled with beautiful churches. While strolling through its streets, we came across plenty of churches, some of them unfortunately closed to visitors. Most of the churches are built in white marble making a nice contrast with the neighbouring houses, most of them painted in bright yellow or built in terracotta tone.

A few of these closed churches showed a decayed appearance but fortunately they held a notice about forthcoming refurbishment.

For details on San Frediano church and the Duomo, check my Must See tips.

Inside Lucca

by Angelamtp1

Walking in Italy is unavoidable (I live in Houston where a woman can wear 5 inch hells religiously) Regardless, there are many interesting places to be seen in Lucca, check out the Roman Wall, the churches, and the botanical garden.

Incredible pizza, a hit with the locals too

by arty_girl about Da Felice

The pizza in this place is incredible... nicest I had while in Lucca. They do both takeaway and sit in (though sitting in can be slightly cramped as it's incredibly small and very popular. You can have anything from one slice of pizza to a massive one.. depends how hungry you are! We took a few slices to sit in while we waited on our pizza to be ready to take away.

Seriously... don't miss it! Local specialty flatbreads and they have a special drink which they serve. my memory fails me as to what the name is but it's similar to coke, just ask.. they'll probably know what you mean! I'll ask my sister what the name was though :) The pizza for sure, it's sublime.. I'd recommend the margarita, simple but yummy!

An extraordinary Oval shape "piazza"

by tzuki

The Piazza dellĀ“Anfiteatro is also known as Piazza del Mercato and is one of the most famous places in Lucca. This "piazza" (square) keeps its old oval shape typical of the amphitheaters in the Roman times.

The piazza deserves a visit not only inside the place itself but also outside and around it. The differences between the buildings make this place to be so beautiful in discovering the traces of the old structures and materials.

Inside the Piazza there are located some restaurants (and terraces) and some local shops. Also the piazza is used to open markets as for example happened to us when we were there to celebrate the local festivity of S. Zita and its Flower market.

Guinigi Tower

by alucas

This tower is a landmark in Lucca, and easily spotted by the trees on the top. (enlarge the picture, and you will see what I mean).

It is one of the two towers that you can climb, and the views over the city are superb. See my Lucca page for an example (yes, I know you've already done that)

Comments