Lucca in Villa San Donato

Expedia.com Booking.com Venere.com

More about Lucca in Villa San Donato

Villa Tours

by BruceDunning

The planned trip around Lucca was to see a number of old palaces. Villa Torrigiani was the most well maintained and the grounds area was a nice pleasant walk. You cannot take pictures inside, but each room was a site to see. It was built in mid 1500's. The grounds had many statues and color mix of flowers, as well as an English garden. It is 7 kilometers north of Lucca.
Villa Mansi, even though elegant on the outside was shamefully getting run down. The owners, still part of the 2nd generation owning for the last 100+ years, do not have the soldi to mainatainand tours is the only support to keep the doors open. The shame is the fresco walls are now fading and the rain intrusion has impacted ceilings and walls. The grounds are very nice to visit. It had to be one elegant home in its era. Located in Segromino area NW of Lucca

VIEW OF LUCCA

by klea&R

"VIEW OF LUCCA"

"VILLA TORRIGIANI"

"RENAISSANCE GARDEN"

The little canal of Via del FossoThe little canal of Via del Fosso

Piazza dei Cavalieri.Piazza dei Cavalieri.

Ancient graffitiAncient graffiti

PucciniPuccini

walking/cycling from pisa to lucca-- or vice versa?

by jerry-ess

Hi everyone, my wife and I are trying to decide whether to stay in Pisa or Lucca for two nights. I would like to stay in one and visit the other on Saturday. Since we observe the Sabbath on Saturday (so will not use money or transport from sundown Friday night to sundown Saturday night), I wondered if its a good idea to walk or bicycle from one city to the other. Is this crazy? I heard it can take 5 hours to walk from Pisa to Lucca, which is doable if we pack a lunch, then return to Pisa by bus after sundown. I'd prefer to stay overnight in Lucca (walk to Pisa will be downhill I think) for the atmosphere and breeze by the touristy attractions in Pisa (which we won't be able to pay to enter anyhow). But maybe its better to stay in Pisa and walk to Lucca, where a money-free afternoon is nicer. Another consideration: after two nights in Pisa or Lucca we are heading to Cinque Terre on Sunday morning, so train or bus connections may be more convenient from one place over another. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!

by geoveo

Hi. We did just that trip earlier this year (well sort of, we didn't do the walking bit). I'd suggest staying in Lucca which is a less busy than Pisa and as you say it is all downhill from Lucca to Pisa. The exterior of the attractions in Pisa are more than satisfying; we didn't go inside as we didn't want to spend our time queuing. The bus service back to Lucca is frequent and drops you right inside the city walls within walking distance of anywhere in town. We hired bikes in Lucca,an easy city to cycle round. You can get to Cinque Terre from either Lucca, a train every hour. Depending on the train you take you may need to change at Viareggio and La Spezia then on to any of the 5 villages in Cinque Terre, each village has a station. From Pisa much the same as the line converge at Viareggio. There are some trains direct between Pisa and Cinque Terre stations. You could join that train by a connection from Lucca to Viareggio. Direct travel time is about one and a half to two hours. You can check timings here: http://www.trenitalia.com/en/orari_biglietti/index.html
If you have any questions fell free to ask me. Geo.

by furrburger

Hi there we went to both cities last year and we found Pisa to be a little disappointing in comparison to Lucca. Other than the obvious spectacles Pisa was quite shabby. Lucca however was positively charming and I think considering your situation you should go there and experience the relaxing and truly tuscan feel of the place. The square( not that it is a square) in the centre is lovely. Enjoy!

by geoveo

I fully agree with furrbuger, Lucca is a gem; relaxing and charming. Pisa on the other hand is big and bustling. It has one interesting area which, by it's very nature, is busy and teaming with tourist tat. Having said that the LT etc. are a must-see if you are in that area.

by kathymof

Spent a week in an apartment in Lucca this past June and I fell in love with Lucca. So my vote is for Lucca! It is extremely charming and I can assure you two days will not be enough to enjoy Lucca. Be sure to walk or ride a bike around the intact walls - you get great views. Also the train ride is very inexpensive and short between Lucca and Pisa.

by Barbred

It is too far to walk or Bike I believe to Pisa from Lucca. May I suggest possibly giving your credit card information to several restaurants before the Sabbath, so you don't have to pay later. There are some truly wonderful restaurants in Lucca, I am sure that they would be more than pleased to assist. May I suggest staying at Hotel Alexandra ( I believe that is the name. It is inside Lucca's walls and you can walk any where from there. I would recommend Buca Di Sant' Antionio, phone 058355881, Osteria Baralla Via dell' Anfidteatro , These are not Kosher but do serve fish. I hope that this helps you.

by painterdave

This is easy..... stay in Lucca. Pisa has nothing to see but the tower.
You can train to pisa in a few minutes.
Painterdave

Travel Tips for Lucca

Just off the square

by painterdave about Pizza

Just across from the ceramics shop near S. Michele in Foro is this pizza parlor. You can eat inside or just around the corner to the right you can find a seat outdoors. I recommend this seating as you can watch the people come and go from the church activities and the tourists as they head for the sights.
Sorry I don't have the name of this place, but it is easy enough to find. It is on the west side of the street. Their pizza is typical European, crispy.
However, I tried their canneloni and found it to be better than I would expect from a pizza spot.
Be nice to the girls who wait on the tables, the boss is tough on them and they are working for college money.

The most wonderful atrium

by leics

Even if you don't go inside, you really must visit the atrium of the Duomo di San Martino.

It is full of the most wonderful carvings, some of which a date back to the 5th century.

You'll find a labyrinth, monsters, realistic animals, the months of the year and the Medieval activities which too place in each one of them, a 'Tree of Life' which starts with Adam & Eve and ends with Christ...

A superb place to spend 20 minutes or so just exploring all the most intricate details of the carvings. Some are by Nicola Pisano, others by various local Medieval (and earlier)stonemasons. I have more photos here.

Unmissable.

San Michele in Foro

by HORSCHECK

This famous church was built between the 11th and 14th century. The columns in the facade are all different and the wings of the angle on top of the facade are flexible to survive the winds. The church itsself is smaller than the facade because there wasn't enough money left to raise it as high as the facade.

Comments