Palazzo Rocchi

Palazzo Rocchi
Travelocity Venere.com Hotels.com

More about Lucca

Inside the Basilica of San FredianoInside the Basilica of San Frediano

View of irregular structure heightsView of irregular structure heights

An old shop in LuccaAn old shop in Lucca

Inside the Church for St. GemmaInside the Church for St. Gemma

Lucca vs. San Gimignano

by cdewolf

Five of us (2 couples, one teenage girl) will be spending one week in Tuscany in July, which I understand is a very hot month in Italy. Which of the two areas would be more comfortable for people not accustomed to high humidity? Which area would be better for touring? We will be spending 3-4 days in Rome first. Any advice would be most appreciated. Also, does anyone have any opinions or experience regarding Holiday-Rentals.com? Thanks, Cheryl

RE: Lucca vs. San Gimignano

by dnwitte

Apropos of climate, Lucca is very low lying, in a flat moist area. San G. is a hilltown, so even if the days are hot, the evenings cool down nicely and the mosquitoes should be less.
As for which is better for touring, well neither is exactly central for public transport. If you have a car you'll have no problem. Otherwise, be aware that San G has no rail service, so you'll rely on bus service, and that can be a bit of a hassle.

RE: Lucca vs. San Gimignano

by Beausoleil

. . . or rent a car which is what we did. I vote for San G also. You will be right in the middle of gorgeous countryside for touring. Do take the S222 called the Chianti Wine Route. It is spectacular.

Yes, we rented through Holiday-Rentals.com last autumn for a trip to Italy. We had a wonderful experience. We liked it so well that we've booked a house through them in France for this autumn.

They have good choices in all price ranges and the service is excellent. Basically, they put you in touch with the owner and you make your own rental arrangements. I highly recommend them.

Travel Tips for Lucca

Bring a Journal

by deecat

Each time I traveled to Europe, I brought fewer clothes with me. I learned to co-ordinate better, to purchase wrinkle-free items, and to do more washing in the sink. I also learned to layer.

Because I could never be 100% sure about weather conditions, I would bring items that could be layered for warmth. Bring all prescription medicines in their original containers (better for going through security) and better if you need a refill. Needless to say, a digital camera is a must. I also have a charger for my batteries, which I use each night. Remember to take your Journal with you to jot down pictures you have taken and what they are, names of restaurants and what you ate, shops and what you purchased, names of people you met, sites you visited, and anything else that you feel is important.

This is especially true for VT travelers. I do not know how I could have written my pages thoroughly without looking back into my journals.

Several VT friends have asked me how I remember such details; now the secret is out!

Train travel in Italy

by sue_stone

I have now been to Italy several times and each time have travelled around this fabulous country by train.

Once you get the hang of it, train travel in Italy is easy. It is also a great way to see the beautiful countryside on the way to your next destination.

I have travelled a couple of times using a rail pass, but the last couple of visits have just purchased tickets for each individual trip as we went.

That said, we often have purchased tickets a day or two in advance - particularly if the particular train requires a seat reservation, or if it is a busy time of year.

Purchasing a little in advance also means that you don't miss the train you want to catch due to a huuuuuge queue for tickets...

Last trip we used the automatic ticket machines at the stations and found them excellent.

Also, I have travelled both first and second class, and didn't really find much difference - travel second class and you can use the extra money to buy more wine/food etc

Just remember with all tickets that you need to validate them in the small yellow ticket machines before you board your train.

A restaurant to celebrate a special occasion

by illudiumqh36 about Ristorante del Teatro

This is the classic good restaurant.
All is good (not GREAT!!!) food, service, ambience and location.
The atmosphere is really formal, maybe because is just in front of the city theatre in Piazza del Giglio.
The dessert are expecially good. All the dessert

Walk or Ride the Lucca Walls

by travelrabbit

I know it looks like your average street, but this one is a little different. One of Lucca's more prominent features is its surrounding wall, still completely intact after all of these years. There are several places throughout the city to rent bicycles and most I've encountered speak a little english but it's not really all that important. They know what you're there for.

City Walls 2

by alucas

The second circle of walls is medieval, and replaced the Roman wall, but as the city had spread out to the north-east, the new walls enclosed the San Frediano, San Pietro Somaldi and Santa Maria Forisportam districts.

The new walls had four gates, two of which are still standing, the Borgi Gate, and the San Gervasio e Protasio gate. Most of this wall was pulled down towards the end of the 16th century. Just outside the medieval wall to the east lies Via del Fosso marking the line of the medieval moat.

Comments