Villa Agnese

The Duomo frontage and campanileThe Duomo frontage and campanile

Mosaic tile of AscensionMosaic tile of Ascension

Coffee/roasting in Lucca

by james.derek

This comes under the heading 'just a dream' at this point but.... My wife and I were wondering if there were any coffee roasters/coffee shops in Lucca. We only had a short day to visit last week and after leaving dream of "retiring" there to start the above mentioned business. Anyone have info?
Grazie

by Ina08

I am not sure I understand what you are looking for.

Lucca, like any other Italian city, is packed with coffee shops or bars (as they are called here). Some of them ground or roast (rarely) the coffee freshly and sell it as well to their customers. In this case the name of the bar will be Bar-Torrefazione (coffee bar - toasting).

There is a company in Lucca that roasts coffee on an industrial basis: http://www.caffeincas.com/

by leics

Yes, I'm afraid there is more than one coffee roaster e.g.

and several cafe torrefazione:

Italians are very fussy about their coffee.

by james.derek

Thanks for the information, as I said, it is just a little dream. I've been a roaster in the U.S. for 10 years.
"Italians are very fussy about their coffee. "
So am I, that's why I do it. One thing I really enjoy when traveling to Italy is the coffee, its the closest I find to my own. Not much like that here. In fact, in Venice, I was strolling along with my wife when my nose told me to take a sharp left turn. It was a shop that roasts coffee but what I smelled was the fresh, green or unroasted beans! Great cappucinos too.

by leics

I can entirely understand your dream, but perhaps Italy is not the best place to seek it.

Now, if you were thinking of retiring to the UK........:-))

Travel Tips for Lucca

Lucca

by sandysmith

Lucca is the most graceful of tuscany's provincial cities. Set inside huge walls (pleasant tree-lined 4km circuit - watch out for the cyclists) fronted by gardens and huge bastions. City was reputed to have 70 churches and judging from the number today I'm not surprised - they're virtually on every corner!

Ponte della Maddalena.

by Maurizioago

This bridge also called Ponte del Diavolo is located near Borgo a Mozzano; some km far from Lucca. It crosses the Serchio river. This bridge was built at the beginning of the 13th century on the remains of a previous bridge. Its name comes from a chapel which was located on the left shore of the river.

According to a legend a master builder was afraid not to finish the construction of the bridge in time, so he asked for help to the devil. This asked the soul of the first person who would pass the bridge in return. The devil built the bridge in one day. Then the builder let a pork pass the bridge and the devil threw himself into the river.

Trattoria da Leo

by HORSCHECK

I had a nice lunch break with my VT friend Sioma on the outside terrace of the Trattoria da Leo. It is a small family-style trattoria which serves some traditional tuscan dishes. For local dishes please check also my Local Custom tips. Taking the central location into account, prices are reasonable at the Trattoria da Leo.

Piazza del Antifeatro Romano

by pigletsmom

This Piazza is literally built over the original Roman Amphitheatre begun in 180 BC, so the entire piazza is cuved to mimic the original structure. There are areas on the walls that display the authentic roman stone work. This is a colorful festive Piazza with wonderful little cafes, shops and delis. One of the most picturesque places in Lucca. I really adored this Piazza. Please check out my general tip on Lucca to see another photo of the Piazza del Antifeatro Romano at night.

an elliptical square?

by PALLINA

Piazza Anfiteatro is really a wonder, born on the ruins of the old Romans' anphitheater. After a partial destruction during barbaric invasions, the anphiteather became useless until 1830, when, thanks to the idea of the architect Lorenzo Nottolini, it turned to the present square came. I think is really unique in the world.

Comments