via Talosa 21, Montepulciano, Tuscany, 53045, Italy

• Tuscany's finest

You must stay at this fantastic hotel to get a true taste of Italy. I can do nothing but second all the wonderful comments written by other visitors. My stay here was truly a high point of my 3 week visit to Italy and of the many hotels in which I did stay this was by far the finest. If you love warm hospitality, unique and beautiful accommodations, historic and breathtaking vistas, and a central location, you MUST stay at the il Riccio. I'm already planning my return.

More about Meuble' il Riccio Hotel

The best we could hope for in Italy

by TripAdvisor Member tstarn06

As I looked into the Web for suggestions on where to stay in Multepulciano, Meuble Il Riccio came up right away via TripAdvisor.com.

What a find! As all the other reviewers, we loved Gio and Ivana and their Italian hospitality. The rooms were small, but the bed was not (though they could use softer pillows). The view, spectacular! Every morning, a blanket of October fog, and every day bright sunshine from our window. We met some great co-travelers, and for the money, you won't find a better deal in Italy. We spent 9 days in Italy (three in Orvieto, six in Montepulciano) to celebrate our 25th anniversary and my wife's birthday. It couldn't have been a better trip. If you are headed to Southern Tuscany, this is the place to stay. Just book in advance so you get the "rooms with a view."

Loved it - would have stayed for a month.

by TripAdvisor Member robndavid

Fantastic small, family-run boutique hotel of just 8 rooms. Our view was over terracotta roof-top gardens. Other views took in the entire town and the Tuscan countryside.

Ivana and Gio were the perfect hosts. Continental breakfast was fresh, tasty and a good size (the best of our entire 3 week trip). Ivanna baked almond cakes and tarts fresh each morning.

The hotel has loads of character being built in 1280. Small but tastefully furnished comfortable room with well-stocked bar fridge. Easily located at the top of Montepulciano - get off the bus at the Cathedral in the main square. The hotel is 2 minutes across the sqaure down a little side street.

Intimate and wonderful roof-top terrace that is terrific for alfresco lunches overlooking the Tuscan countryside. Very comfortable lounge area with skylights and views of the rooftops where some guests met at the end of the day for a glass of (their own) vino nobile and a friendly chat - a real "family" atmosphere.

No lift, and two flights of steps. Be prepared to carry your luggage up and down - but it is well worth the effort!!

We stayed for 2 nights, but wish it had been 2 months.

P.S. If coming to Montepulciano by train, it is a minimum of an hour bus trip from Chiusi station to the Montepulciano bus terminal. Transfer here to local small yellow bus into town centre. To do Montepulciano justice, a minimum of two nights is required (but more would be better).

Enjoyed the Meuble il Riccio Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Lyndell9

My wife and I stayed at the Meuble il Riccio in early January. We enjoyed our stay there and would recommend it to anyone wishing to visit the Montepulciano or its vicinity. Our host and his wife were very nice, the hotel was in a good central location, the breakfast was fresh and good, and our room was pleasant and had a small but good bathroom. We were able to temporarily park about 50 to 100 feet from the hotel on the edge of the main piazza to load and unload our car. The hotel provided a ticket for free parking in a parking lot a few hundred yards away, just inside one of the old city gates. Restaurants, a museum, and a wine tasting room were all within easy walking distance. I could see why this hotel was recommended by several guidebooks.

This is Where We Fell in Love with Italy!!!!!!

Where do I start?? I cannot say enough about our stay!! The Hotel is wonderfully charming! (that's my wifes description). first the basics. The rooms are meticulously kept. They are very comfortable, very clean, spacious and one of the best values we found in Italy. We stayed two nights, went to Venice (where we were extemely disappointed) Called Il Riccio and drove back for two more nights. The hotel is magnificent and we have never experienced such incredible friendly service before. It was so lovely that it was hard to drag ourselves away from the hotel. Gio and Ivana(the owners) are wonderful. Gio offers tours of the area in one of his vintage cars for about $25 an hour (as long as it's not raining), which is a great value, and you get all of the history and flavor of Tuscany. My wife and I were able to see more of the area and got to do it in a mint condition 1953 Fiat 1900. It was so cool!! The breakfast every morning is well worth the 8 Euros. Ivana bakes tortes, cakes and croisants and they were the best we had anywhere. Pecorino Cheese, Salami and of course Espresso. I could have easily spent a week there. The terrace and solarium at the top of the hotel offer a spectacular view of Tuscany. Montepulchino is beautiful. The restaurants are excellent and the people are very friendly. It's close to Sienna, Assisi, Pienza just to mention a few places. I can't say enough about this hotel and the people who opperate it. It was truly the high point of our three weeks in in Italy!!

A stay in heaven!

by TripAdvisor Member Travelersrus2

When Gio and Ivanna welcome you to Il Riccio you will never want to leave! We decided we should have stayed the week instead of just 3 days and two nights. Our room had a perfect view of the east from this tiny hilltop town...I think we could see 100 miles! Gio would ask each morning..."How did you sleep?" I would have to reply, "I could not! I had to keep getting up to look at the view." Il Riccio is rich in history, long on warmth and hospitality, and comfortable. "Our home is your home" says Ivanna. And it certainly feels that way when you stay. Perfectly situated to walk all over the town. Free parking in an outdoor lot after you unload your luggage. We enjoyed a dinner twice at the restaurant kitty-corner across the square. There were other guests who return year after year to stay a week. If you don't get a room with a view, don't worry, you can go up to Gio's terrace with your bottle of wine and see the sights 360 degrees. All in all...a stay in heaven!

Cannot be beaten!

by TripAdvisor Member louie4

After travelling for 4 weeks through Italy and staying at many different hotels (mainly found through trip adviser) - I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel. The location is fabulous (just off piazza grande in Montepulciano), the rooms have fabulous views and are roomy and spotless. Ivana and Gio (the hosts) treat you like family and Ivanas breakfasts are the best we had all over Italy. ( she even gave me the recipe for her apple cake!) Montepulciano is an absolutely beautiful hilltown . We made it our base , hired a car and did day trips to Pienza . Motalcino , Cortona etc . This proved fabulous.
I cannot rave enough about how much I loved this gorgeous place! Go there!
If you arrive by car, park outside the walls of the town( there are many parking areas) and then catch the shuttle bus up to piazza grande (as it is a long way uphill to walk with your luggage). When you arrive, Ivana gives you a parking permit to allow you to bring your car inside the town walls and park right near the hotel. If you love wine tasting, you are in the right place, as there are enoticas all over Montepulciano where you can taste their fabulous Vino Nobile! The trattorias and restaurants are also of a high standard.The stay here was the highlight of our time in Italy.

Absolutely the Best!

by TripAdvisor Member StellaLasVegas_NV

This was indeed the highlight of our 3 weeks in Italy! Ivana and Gio were the best of the best! They made you feel right at home--breakfasts (everything home made by Ivana) were the best we had the entire trip--and the cappuccino was heaven! The rooms were spacious, comfortable, absolutely clean and had gorgeous views. The views from the rooftop patio were breathtaking--especially in the full moonlight. Montepulciano is a gorgeous hilltop town--the piazza that Meuble il Riccio is just off from is a true Renaissance gem. We had a scrumptious dinner at the restaurant kitty corner from the hotel. We were lucky enough to be there for a Saturday market in the piazza--everything about our stay in Montepulciano was perfect including the feast day mass overseen by a cardinal! Next trip we will book a week here and use it as our base for that part of Tuscany. Can't wait to go back!

Fabulous stay

Right in the center of this Italian hill town. You must be able to walk up steep hills to stay here! Our room overlooked the town...a fabulous view. The breakfast buffet was average and didn't change from day to day. But our hosts were as friendly as could be. Internet access is available. Only stayed two nights but would certainly return.

Il Riccio - Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member JonfromLA

We didn't know what to expect when we booked the Il Riccio in charming Montepulciano, Italy, but when Mr. Georgio happily zoomed down the hill on his scooter to guide us to a parking place, we had some idea!

The hotel is situated in a beautiful building just steps from the main square, near restaurants and cantinas for wine tasting. The room was stunning, fully equipped, with a killer view of the valley. There is a reading lounge and even a cozy rooftop garden with a view over the city.

Georgio and his wife made us feel lik long-lost relatives in their home. Breakfast was wonderful, everything home-made.

During our visit, we arranged for Georgio to take us on a tour of the countryside in one of his antique Italian cars - it was the high point of our vacation! Be forwanred - do not do this if you want to be inconspicuous! We attracted a LOT of attention everywhere we went.

We hope that we can stay at Il Riccio again in the near future, it was a wonderful visit.

Comments