Hotel Rutiliano

More about Pienza

ViewsViews

Val D'OrciaVal D'Orcia

Corso RossellinoCorso Rossellino

The hanging gardenThe hanging garden

Getting to Peinza by bus from Siena and from there to Arezzo

by HenriettaStackpole

I'll be traveling in November and would like to go from Siena to Pienza. Leaving Pienza, I would like to continue on to Arezzo. I will not be driving and there is no train for this route. I am having trouble understanding how the buses work in this region. Could someone please assist?

Many thanks!

by Trekki

Hi Henrietta :-)

ah, so you will be in Siena before Arezzo and Urbino :-) I'll be in Siena the first two weeks in November, maybe you'd like to meet for a coffee? Erm... cafè?

Have a look here in this pdf:
and type Pienza into the search bar. It is on page 16 and lists all busses from Siena via Pienza to Montepulciano.

From Pienza to Arezzo it seems that you should first go to Montepulciano (20 min from Pienza by bus) and from there to Arezzo. But with another bus change in Rapolano Terme. Look here, Siena's bus network:
and click on "ricerca oriari" (search times). You arrive on this nice interactive website:
and type in Montepulciano resp. Arezzo. It shows you the bus lines of Siena Mobilità.

Or - you go back from Pienza to Siena and take a direct bus from Siena to Arezzo:

Ingrid :-)

Hi Trekkie,

Thanks so much for the bus information. Yes, we will be on a tour of lovely medieval and renaissance towns!

I'd love to have coffee / cafe with you in Siena, but unfortunately I will be in Siena the end of November. Do send me an email if you ever come to Chicago.

Thanks again,

Henreitta

by SandiM

the busfox website the previous poster gave you is the best one. But keep in mind that the times vary depending on whether you go on a weekday or weekend. I don't read italian very well, but the busfox listing might prove helpful in this respect. I was just in Pienza in April, travelling in a rented car, and it was fabulous!! Most of the best spots to visit are along the cliff wall to the south. It's a small town, verrrry small, but wonderful. I recommend picking up some shippable Pecorino cheese (they are famous for this) and olive oil. Are you staying there? I recommend Il Chiostro hotel. It had a great situation, and was reasonable in price. Massimo the manager was so very Italian and charming! :)

by HenriettaStackpole

Thanks for your reply Sandi. How were the prices at the Il Chiostro? We will stay one night. Also, thanks for the tip on the cheese. I think I will eat at least a pound of cheese a day!

by SandiM

I think my sister and I paid approx 100euros for 2 beds. To me, that was reasonable since you got an amazing array of breakfast foods in the morning, and it's actually an old cloister transformed into a hotel! Of course, our room didn't have a view but you can ask for one, and the view is limitless. Gorgeous! If you meet Massimo, tell him we said hi (he may remember me as the lady with pink hair who drove away with the hotel key fob in my pocket and didn't discover it until we hit La Foce, and turned around and came all the way back....!). He gave me extra shampoo (it smelled so good!). Yes, I'd definitely go back.

Travel Tips for Pienza

September Travel

by Kandise

Pack light, bring things you can mix and match. Bring a light jacket with you. The evenings and mornings tend to be a bit chilly, but the afternoons heat up quickly. Shorts and short sleeve shirts are exceptable.

Chiesa di San Francesco

by sue_stone

The unassuming Chiesa di San Francesco is located on the cobbled Corso Il Rossellino, close to Piazza Pio II. It is the only important medieval building in town.

Its inner walls used to be covered with frescoes, but only a few remain these days. Of those still visible are some from the 14th & 15th centuries, including a painting of the Madonna (no silly, the original Madonna!).

The church also has a strange stone 'altar' - it is a contemporary design by the sculptor Massimo Lippi (from Siena), made from 3 blocks of Rapolano stone (thanks to VTer maartenw for this information!).

Free entry

Palazzo Piccolomini: the hanging garden

by Cristian_Uluru

The palace has got a beautiful hanging garden on which you can admire the beautiful panorama above the Val D'Orcia, the apse of the cathedral on the left and the loggia of the palace behind the garden.

Charm on a Mountaintop

by Kandise

"About"

Pienza is quaint little town nesteled on a mountain top in a small corner of Siena, in the Tuscany Region of Italy. This town has wonderful Renaissance charm and remenants of medieval times. If your wanting to visit a place that is slow paced and leisurely this is the town for you. During our day trip it seems as though everyone there had lost all track of time, no one was in a hurry to get anywhere.

"Points of Interest"