Cala Dei Santi, , Porto Ercole, Tuscany 58018
Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Il Pellicano

Porto Ercole - Borgo AnticoPorto Ercole - Borgo Antico

Porto Ercole - view on crowded harbour.Porto Ercole - view on crowded harbour.

Porto Ercole - part of the marina.Porto Ercole - part of the marina.

Porto Ercole - Forte FilippoPorto Ercole - Forte Filippo

area surrounding porto ercole

by genebeans

We are thinking about five or six days in Porto Ercole at Il Pelicano. Is there a village nearby to walk to as we don,t enjoy eating every meal in a hotel and like to explore little villages and their cooking etc. Would appreciate any info at all. Thank you

by mccalpin

Hmmmn, I've never been there (big help, huh?) but it looks like a neat escape that is still fairly close (142 km) to Rome.

Look at http://www.memonet.it/eng/comuni/monte%20argentario/index.htm and then look for restaurants and bars, etc. in Porto Ercole. As you can see from www.viamichelin.com, the other town listed at this site - Porto Stefano - is about 10 km away, although I would be surprised if there weren't any sort of bus service. Ortebello is closer, but still is 6 or so clicks. The next place to Porto Ercole is Forte Filippo - which appears to be another harbor.

I would have to guess that with all the harbor traffic for Porto Ercole and the other harbors, that there must be places to eat...I guess...;-)

Bill

by nicolaitan

friends (also snowbirds)spent several days at Il Pelicano, loved it, and never left the premises the whole time. But as above, the adjacent villages attract a tourist-beach crowd and will offer alternatives.

RE: RE: area surrounding porto ercole

by baronedivandastad

Porto Ercole is a village, and has plenty of places to explore, including a good pub if I'm not mistaken. But it was long time ago...
Cheers,
mac

by wilby

Hopefully you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Pelicano. My wife and I are staying there for the first time in April. Did you find any places we should not miss on our visit.

Thanks
Wilby

RE: RE: area surrounding porto ercole

by genebeans

For our second week last year we ended up at the Miramare Hotel in Sant Margherita and never got to Porto Ercole. From Santa Margherita we were able to vist many places and enjoyed the kind of casual atmosphere for dinner at most places..Sorry I could not help

by wilby

You have picked a place as close to paradise as possible. My wife and I spent 5 days at Hotel Il Pelicano in May and it simply does not get any better. The hotel is very secluded which means the town of Porto Ercole is not within walking distance. However, it is a very short 5-10 minute drive. Also, nearby is Porto Stefano which is considerably larger than Porto Ercole.

My guess is you would never grow tired of the food and service at Hotel Pelicano, but both towns offer many dining choices.

Enjoy, We are already planing our next visit to the hotel.

Wilby

Travel Tips for Porto Ercole

Porto Ercole competes with Porto Santo Stefano.

by breughel

"Too much marina."

Porto Ercole, on the south-east side of the Argentario peninsula, competes with Porto Santo Stefano on the opposite side of the mountain.
When I discovered this harbour and bay, thirty years ago, I found it a very picturesque and authentic place which I preferred to Porto Santo Stefano. My recent visit made me change my opinion. A marina has now invaded all the harbour leaving no room for the water. From the walk along the sea one sees mainly a huge parking for all types of boats.
Fortunately the hills with the Spanish fortresses, the old town "Borgo Antico" with the church of San Erasmo compensate for the unaesthetic invasion by the marina.

Of course this is a subjective appreciation based on a comparison between the 1970-80s and now.
But I'm not the only one to criticise this transformation of Porto Ercole in a huge marina.
In 2004 a number of environmental associations denounced this transformation under the terms of: "Porto-garage a Port'Ercole"
"Si vuol fare di Porto Ercole un Porto-Garage occupando quanto più possibile dell’area portuale....
Una presenza locale che si vedrà privata non solo delle caratteristiche paesaggistiche, storiche e ambientali dell’attuale Porto Rifugio e dello storico borgo marinaro..."
Nevertheless I'm sure that new comers will like Porto Ercole; it is still so much better than many other sea places.

Porto Ercole, sur la côte sud de la péninsule de l'Argentario, est concurrente de Porto Santo Stefano de l'autre côté de la montagne.
Lorsque j'ai découvert cette baie et son port, il y a une trentaine d'années, je l'ai trouvée très pittoresque et authentique et je la préférais à Porto Santo Stefano.
Ma récente visite m'a fait changer d'opinion. Une marina a envahi la baie et le port ne laissant quasiment plus de plus place pour l'eau. De la promenade le long de la mer on ne voit plus qu'un immense parking à bateaux de toutes sortes. La demande d'emplacements par les amateurs de nautisme est forte et je suppose que la location de ces emplacements rapporte plus à la commune de Porto Ercole que les voyageurs de passage.
Porto Santo Stefano quant à elle offre encore une vue dégagée sur sa baie ce qui fait que aujourd'hui je la préfère à Porto Ercole qui a trop sacrifié au nautisme.

Heureusement il y a les collines avec les forteresses Espagnoles et le vieux bourg avec l'église San Erasmo pour compenser de l'invasion inesthétique de la marina. Néanmoins pour le touriste d'aujourd'hui Porto Ercole présente de nombreux attraits par rapport à tant d'autres endroits au bord de mer.

Comments