Loc. Pozzarello, , Porto Santo Stefano, Tuscany 58
Hotels.com Travelocity Venere.com

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Porto Santo Stefano

Porto Santo Stefano - Ketch at anchor.Porto Santo Stefano - Ketch at anchor.

Porto Santo Stefano - Motor yachtPorto Santo Stefano - Motor yacht

Porto Santo Stefano - Yachts at the "Molo".Porto Santo Stefano - Yachts at the "Molo".

Porto Santo Stefano - "Lungomare"Porto Santo Stefano - "Lungomare"

Getting from Rome to Porto Stefano, Italy

Hi Everyone,

Would welcome feedback from anyone who has travelled from Rome to Porto Stefano in Italy.

Is there such a thing as cheap accommodation e.g. homestay or bed & breakfast within walking distance to the marina? I am aware that this is high season.

My teenage daughter and I are travelling in early July. Have not been successful in finding much info on the net yet, so I hope there is an intrepit traveller(s) out there who may be able to help.

Many thanks

RE: Getting from Rome to Porto Stefano, Italy

hello
i live 1 hour north of that, porto santo stefano is a VIP location during the summer, so you won't be able to find cheap accomodation...
is there a special reason why you want to stay there?
in fact, there are nearby towns which are cheaper, like Follonica, Marina di Grosseto...
even Capalbio is quite expensive

Hello,

Nice of you to reply. We were looking for cheap accommodation as my husband is sailing from Turkey to Porto Santo Stefano where we will meet the boat, if for some reason his arrival was delayed, I wanted to have plan B, so to speak..

Although I have travelled to Italy before, I have not visited in the summer, however, I can imagine it is busy and of course the prices increase.

If you can suggest, some places of interest around this area, I would be grateful.

I haven't decided whether to hire a car and drive from Rome airport or catch the train to Ortebello. What are your thoughts on this?

Any information will be welcome.

Many Thanks

by hivaoa1

i think that if you hire a car, it won't be so expensive actually and maybe you will have more chances to find nice accomodation.
If you take a train to Orbetello, then you should look for a nice/cheap accomodation there.

have a look at this:

and this:

i'll make a better search in porto santo stefano but so far it's extremely expensive

ciao for now :D

Hello Hiaova1,

Thanks for your input. I will look into hiring a car at some point during our stay as I agree it is a better option. We will be in Italy around 6 weeks so should have plenty of opportunity to travel around.

The latest news, is that the boat is now scheduled to go to Sardegna also. So if you can recommend any airlines that fly from Rome to the island, that would be a great help as we may need to get a connecting flight the same day we arrive.

Also do you know what the closest Port to Rome is?

My husband might possibly pick us up closer to Rome and as he is now sailing to Italy, it's difficult to get this information from him.

I appreciate any help you can give and if your ever thinking of visiting Malaysia, Thailand Australia or Indonesia, I will be happy to return the favour.

Warm regards,

hello
i am in finland right now
i+ll be back monday and give u some tips

i believe ryanair, meridiana and airone fly to sardinia, also alitalia, but it+s more exnpensive
talk to u monday

Great,
Hope your having a nice weekend and look forward to your reply. Thanks for that info re: airlines. I will check them out.

I still don't know where our exact destination in Italy will be until my husband arrives. Bit of a pain as we are getting closer to leaving, but I am fairly adept at dealing with last minute changes so I'm sure all will work out.

Are there any great "markets" in Rome that we can visit?

All the best

hello
i'll reply with more calm this evening from home.
In Rome go to Porta Portese, a lot of stuff is also sold at Agnanina, the last stop of the subway after Cinecittà, but it could be a bit dangerous or Look dangerous for a foreigner. Porta Portese is definately nicer :D

Thanks for that,

In regards to the markets, in what way do you mean dangerous. i.e. pickpockets??

As we have lived in Asia for years, we are used to taking precautions, with handbags etc. So I try not to be complacent.

We are definitely going to Santo Stefano now, so I think I will pre-book the train tickets to Ortebello on the net. After such a long flight it is probably not wise for me to drive, especially when I am not familiar with the route. We can rent a car at a later date.

So now we are back to Plan A!!!!! Will try and see if I can find any reasonable accommodation just for a couple of days in Porto Stefano, or Ortebello, just to be on the safe side.

I am very excited and looking forward to arriving.

Really appreciate your time and effort in making things easier for us.
Very kind of you.

by hivaoa1

it looks a bit dangerous. I was there
last thursday and it looked a bit dodgy, a lot of illegal immigrants selling stuff even drugs, i am NOT racist at all, but i felt i was somewhere abroad, i think there are some kinds of "groups" who sell in some areas of the big square and some others on other parts, mostly polish, romanian, but also moroccan, tunisian and so on
if u feel like going, go, nothing happened to me and probably i was just a bit shocked to find such an image in italy (i wouldn't be shocked to see this somewhere else for example)
at least you can bargain a LOT there
;)

Hi,

Yes, I understand what you mean now. I am not familiar with croatians etc but when I visited Venice two years ago, there were quite a few Africans or Morrocans selling fake designer handbags etc.

It is the same in Bangkok as I go there frequently to do business and I am the same as you, not racist, however it can be offputting as most of these people are drifters and trying to make a quick dollar by suspect means. Plus I have my teenage daughter with me and of course I am very protective of her. Female lioness protecting her cub.... so to speak!!!!!

We arrive in Rome on the 7th and will be walking around for the day and hopefully be able to catch the train in the early evening to Ortebello.

Thats the plan at this point..... so maybe we will come and spend more time in Rome during our stay which coincides with the weekend and will see then how I feel about going to the markets.

If your only an hour away from Porto Santo Stefano, maybe we can meet up for a coffee etc somewhere so I can thank you in person for your help.

The boat will be anchored offshore and I think there is a plan to visit Elba mid July so we will be in that vicinity for a few weeks at least.

Anyway think about it. No obligation.

Thanks for all.

by hivaoa1

hello my friend, you are too kind :) I am off to new york for work july 6th- 13th, i mean i will be back on the 13th. iF YOU are going to Elba after the 13th, i'll gladly come for a visit by car, it is so close to where I live :) Let me know, ok?

i wish you a wonderful trip!

Hi There,
Sorry for being late in my reply, I only just got home from a business trip to Bali on Monday night and this is the first chance I have had to log in.

As you can imagine I have been busy getting ready to leave, TOMORROW!!!!!!!.
Can't believe the day is here.

We leave just before midnight tomorrow and dont arrive in Sardegna till friday afternoon so it is like being on the milk run!!!!!!!!!

Yes, we finally have a destination. I'm sure Sardegna is beautiful.

Yes, that would be great if you come to ELBA. As I understand it, there is a world class yachting regatta held off ELBA and I think we will be there around the 14th. We have friends arriving from Australia at that time and they know people who are participating in the races, so it should be a lot of fun. So it may work out well for us to meet and catch up around this time.

By the way, my true name is Sharron. Seems strange meeting with you over the internet as I have never made contacts before. But you have been very nice and helpful to me and I look forward to meeting you.

Don't know if there are any internet cafes on Sardegna, but if there is one, I will find it, so we can make arrangements to meet.

Take care and have a great time in New York,

Warm regards,
Sharron

sharon,
i am glad you are going to have a great time
let me know on the 13th if you go to elba so i can come for a day trip there and enjoy :D

have a wonderful trip! I'll be back from nyc on the 13th :D the weather is beautiful right now :D

Hi,
Finally got to an internet cafe. We left Sardinia and are now in Elba, arriving late yesterday. We will be here for maybe three days then am not sure what the agenda is.

I am including Bryce (my husband) phone number so you can call if you want to catch up. Kiah (my daughter) and I will be having some time free from the boat so maybe we can catch up then.

The hand phone number is +39 3881878718
So give us a call and we can make some arrangements to meet somewhere.
We may be on the mainland on around the end of the month but keep in touch as plans change daily being on a boat.

Will try and check my emails again tomorrow. We are thinking of hiring a car and having a look around the island.

Kiah and i will be getting off the boat and travelling around so maybe we can catch up that way.

Take care and hope we can meet before we leave.
All the best
Sharron x

hello sharon
i am glad you are enjoying your trip
unfortunately i thought you would come on the 14th-16th, so i don't know yet if i can come this coming weekend, since i am very busy at work (a lot of co workers are on vacation)
but i'll let u know for sure
beware of the jellyfishes
there are many these 2 last days

Hi there,

Sorry for not replying sooner but it has been difficult to get to internet cafes.
However I now have a phone and you can call if you like. We are now leaving Elba tomorrow morning and either heading back to Porto Stefano or catching the ferry from here to Piombino where Kiah and I will make our way to Livorno then onto Corsica for a couple of days.

My husband will be busy with work so we are going to have a look around.

My number is 3208445929. Let me know if you are anywhere close and maybe we can catch up. Hopefully it will be easier now that we will be off the boat.

I have to pick up some samples in Treviso then may have a day or 2 in Venice for Kiah.

take care
Sharron

Travel Tips for Porto Santo Stefano

Beautiful place at the Italian coast.

by breughel

This is a very beautiful place of the Italian coast, the most beautiful place of the peninsula of Argentario.
Attractive bay, coloured houses on a hill side, maritime walk, restaurants, flowery vegetation, some beautiful palm trees, and half a dozen luxurious yachts moored to the quay. A church at the top of the hill.
Some people say that it is better than Portofino because more authentically Italian!
Actually, I'm first to write on VT a page dedicated to this quite touristic town but still somewhat ignored by the international tourism. I discovered this place many years ago because I have relatives in the region.
I hope that my Italian family will not be upset with me if by writing this page I may attract more tourists and increase the crowds.
Therefore I strongly insist: dear VT member go to the Argentario only in off season, in the other periods leave the place to Italian tourists.

"Très bel endroit de la côte italienne."

Voici un très bel endroit de la côte italienne, le plus bel endroit de la péninsule de l'Argentario.
Jolie baie, maisons colorées à flanc de colline, promenade maritime, restaurants, végétation fleurie, quelques beaux palmiers, une demi douzaine de luxueux yachts amarrés au quai. Une église au sommet de la colline.
Certains diront que c'est mieux que Portofino car plus authentiquement italien!
A preuve, je suis le premier à écrire sur VT une page consacrée à ce lieu pourtant éminemment touristique mais encore largement ignoré du tourisme international.
A vrai dire si je suis seul ici sur VT à décrire Porto Santo Stefano c'est parce j'ai de la famille dans la région. J'espère qu'elle ne m'en voudra pas de lancer les hordes sauvages du tourisme mondial à l'assaut de Porto Santo Stefano.
Mais j'insiste: cher membre VT n'allez sur l'Argentario qu'en hors saison, laissez la place aux Romains.

Comments