San Casciano dei Bagni, 53040, Italy
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Il Poggio

Dream hotel 2 – million Euro view in Umbria

by Trekki about Il Poggio dei Pettirossi, Bevagna (Umbria)

I discovered this most magic bed&breakfast or albergo only by chance as I simply did not find the one I was looking for (Torre Antico in Viepri, described by @poortrekkers (Emlyn & Denise)). So I headed further north of Massa Martana, direction Bevagna, and checked one of my travel books for further options. One mentioned an albergo with a gorgeous view into Valle Umbra and I decided to have a look. And oh my, I was speechless once I turned into the parking lot – I had the plain of Valle Umbra in front of me and a view that stretched from Assisi to almost Spoleto. When I asked if they would have a room and how much it costs, I was even more surprised! I would have expected something around 70-80 Euro, but no, 50 Euro only, inlcuding breakfast (April 2008). So my decision was quickly taken and I moved into my room. The room was very big with huge bed, desk at the window, in-built cupboard (in the photo on the right hand side) and big bathroom with shower. The dominating colours were sun and earth, which gave the room a very relaxing atmosphere. No wonder that I didn’t have any “problems” with the weather – I stayed inside when it was raining cats and dogs and enjoyed the view out of the window. And often I was sitting at the terrace, reading.
The premises are very nice and inspring. They have 29 rooms (mostly double rooms but also triple ones or suites), all built in a row next to each other and separated from the main house and restaurant. With the big meadow in front of the rooms and the huge terracotta flower pots it all looks very much harmonic. Oh, I should mention that the rooms have TV, phone and a minibar. But these things don’t matter much to me.
Behind the restaurant (at a higher elevation than the rooms) is the pool area, which has enough sunchairs and parasols for sunbathing and sitting in the shade. And all with this gorgeous view!! I also liked the huge round glass lamps in the pool area, which gave a very soft light in the evening (they are not in the photos, but on my Bevagna page). Breakfast was served in a room next to the dining area, of course with this magic view across the whole Valle Umbra. The choice was excellent, cold cuts, cheese, jam, fresh bread and croissants, orange juice, a kind of cranberry juice, fresh fruit and caffè (freshly made with a machine) or tea.
The main house is equipped with many old furniture and new design objects like very creative lamps (they have something with lamps). And there is a reading area in the basement and upstairs as well.
Would I stay here again? Yes and to be honest, I could go back right now, because now I could enjoy all, Il Poggio dei Pettirossi has to offer. Maybe I could spend the rest of my life sitting at the pool with a good book and their excellent coffee!! It is a real retreat!!

Oh, and their restaurant is excellent as well. In early spring it is open Thursday to Sunday, but in summer it is open daily.
Their website is in Italian only at the moment, but excellent made! Please don’t miss their video (I forgot to make one…) – it shows a lot: the relaxing atmosphere, their love for life, hospitaliy, beauty, design and Brazil (the music is Brazilian). Oh and it also shows a bit more of the pool area, including the huge lamps and their soft light during the night as well as the other light objects and the reading areas and the library.
See here:
Il Poggio dei Pettirossi video.

Location of Il Poggio dei Pettirossi on Google Maps.

© Ingrid Denne, March 2009 (just in case, RS or others come along and think they can steal texts).

Dream hotel 5 – lovely agriturismo :-)

by Trekki about Locanda Rosati, Orvieto (Umbria)

Locanda Rosati is a very similar enchanting retreat as Il Poggio dei Pettirossi, the previous one I have described. But while Pettirossi is more for individualists (one can decide if one wants to eat there or not for example), Locanda Rosati is more for the sociable visitors. It is a true agriturismo and this means that all guests will be seated around the table at dinnertime and it is almost inevitable that conversations start.
If I compare the premises, Locanda Rosati is certainly bigger and more contorted but lacks the fantastic view of Pettirossi. Ok, so much for comparison between the both.
Locanda Rosati was the farmhouse of the owners during generations and has been transformed into a guesthouse some years ago. The owners live across the street, so one or both are taking care of their guests with passion. The house itself has 3 storeys, the basement is for socialising with a huge library, living room and dining room, while the upper rooms have been converted into guest rooms. All is customised with old (antique) furniture and very much cosy. The rooms are equiped with newer furniture, but also in wood. I liked the design, it was made by the local wood artist Michelangeli, and he has placed little animals here and there, see my bed, right hand side – dormouse. Now guess how my room was called? The dormouse, haha. Consequently, each room was named after one little animal, it was on the room key and somewhere in the room. The rooms are spacious enough (for me, but I have choosen a smaller room anyhow) with bathroom (shower) and a nice view to the garden. I don’t remember if it had TV, but I don’t watch TV when on travels. The premises are lovely as well, easy to spend a whole holiday there. This is what VT’s Mike and Sue did, they have
devoted their Orvieto page almost entirely to this locanda. On their page you can also see more photos than I took. And they have been there in summer, when it was warm enough to enjoy the pool (photo 2). While I was here, I could pick fresh lemons on my way to the pool (photo 1). The whole garden is so wonderful, some benches here, some benches there, some pathways overgrown with bushes, some herbs in bloom – a real view for heart and soul.

The food is also excellent – see my separate tip about Locanda Rosati restaurant.
What else? There is enough parking outside of the house, but inside of the premises. The gate is locked in the night, but someone of the family sleeps in the house every night, so there is one to let you in if you come back late (but it is advisable to inform them in advance).

All in all I paid 80 Euro per night (single occupancy of double room, April 2008).

Location of Locanda Rosati on Google Maps.

Bevagna, the most charming Medieval town

by Trekki

Bevagna, in the middle of Valle Umbra, approx. 20 km to the south of Assisi is a very charming town and sadly overlooked and neglected by many foreign travellers who mostly head for nearby Montefalco. But Bevagna really deserves to be visited for many reasons. First there is this exceptional restaurant (I even don’t dare to call it restaurant as it is more of a culinary temple), Redibis which is located in parts of Bevagna’s old Roman amphiteatre. The amphiteatre is not the only Roman remains in the village but there is also a Roman mosaic floor which once belonged to a thermal bath. And while I was walking through the village I found a building which obviously was built on using what was left of a Roman temple.
Bevagna is very old, it was already a settlement during the old Umbrians’ days and eventually renamed Mevania by the Romans. The western branch of the famous ancient Roman road, Via Flaminia, lead through the village – today it is called Corso Giacomo. It is said that Bevagna does have the most intact and authentic of Umbria’s Medieval town centres and indeed, standing on the Piazza F. Silvestri is like a travel back in time. I always expected people in Medieval clothes coming around the corner :) This piazza is the centre of town, with a nice octagonal fountain resembling the famous Fontana Maggiore in Perugia, albeit it does not have the splendid carvings. Two churches and the Palazzo dei Consoli are situated around the piazza and create this very special atmosphere. San Silvestro (next to the palazzo) is the oldest one, built in 1195 with a simple but beautiful façade of Master Binellus. San Michele, opposite, has a splendid door with wonderful carvings. Most interesting are two old birds left and right of the door.

The village is very laid back, and has of course everything one needs in daily life. Shops are mostly lined along Corso Giacomo and at Piazza Garibaldi. Bevagna’s locals live mostly of wine and olive oil, so most naturally you can buy very excellent products here. As far as I know it has three hotels, one of them is L’Orto degli Angeli next to Redibis restaurant. Their cheapest rooms start at 200 € (double rooms), but given the old building and the most splendid atmosphere, it might be well worth to stay here. I stayed in Il Poggio dei Pettirossi, a very charming agriturismo in the hills southwest of Bevagna and loved it so much that I actually stayed here for a whole week. It is a perfect base for exploring all the nearby cities and villages, including Assisi, Spello, Spoleto, Montefalco and the countless lesser known ones which are all worth a visit.

But the most fascinating event in Bevagna must be the Mercato delle Gaite, a Medieval festival of 10 days length where many market stalls are spread over the whole town and where Bevagna locals show old and traditional skills like candle making, dyeing, knitting, where Medieval contests are held in bow and arrow shooting and others. If you are in Umbria during June, make sure you don’t miss this festival. I will definitely come back during this time!

Location of Bevagna on Google Maps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Region: Umbria;
nearest airport: Roma or Perugia
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

© Ingrid D., May 2009 (just in case, RickS or others come along and think they can steal texts).

Advice for our Wedding Week

by VJSmith

My fiancee and I are going to be married at Castello di Modanella next September. We will be staying in the area for a week and were hoping to get ideas from other VT members about what kind of activities we could suggest for our guests.
Also, does anyone know of a good band in the area that can play popular American music for weddings?
Thanks!

by Manara

You can try with Guty & Simone. Their repertoire may not be exactly what you have in mind, but they are rather eclectic.

by Landlubber54

Well, if you are in Tuscany, you will be surrounded by wineries, so wine-tasting is always an option. It doesn't appear that you will far from Florence (go say "hi" to David, shop for leather, or check out the Ufizzi Gallery, among other things). Pisa (not just a tower) is a bit further west, but if you are there for a week, it is worth a visit. You should also recommend (to those interested) that there should be plenty of wine-tasting opportunities in the area (through a tour, I know of Fattoria Il Poggio -- near Lucca). You can check out San Gimignano, Siena, etc., etc.

Can't help you with a band...

by Landlubber54

Bad editing above. Didn't mean to dwell that much on wine (hic).

by LKBT

My husband and I got married at Castello di Modanella in Oct 2005. It was an amazing place for our wedding/reception. We absolutely loved our band who was hired by our wedding planner and came in from Florence. If you want their info I can get it from the wedding planner. They were a 3 person band and they played Italian songs, old songs and current American music. We were blown away.

As far as activities for the group, we arranged a wine tasting and vineyard tour at Avignonesi, had a day trip to Florence with a tour guide, day trip to Siena, another day trip to San Gimignano and had our rehearsal dinner in Lucignano. One of the highlights of our trip was an impromtu dinner for 20 of our guests at nearby restaurant Ischieto. The restaurant made an amazing dinner for us and it was a beautiful evening.

Chianti Region Touring/Wineries

by SunTanBob

We'll be exploring the Chianti region in May by car to include Florence and Siena. We're staying in Greve. We'd appreciate any advice/recommendations/insight regarding any specific wineries, villages, castles, etc. that shouldn't be missed.

by Lhenne1

Fattorio Il Poggio al Sorbo was a great vineyard not far from Siena. Aside from wine, they also produce great olive oil. They gave us a great tour and we stayed for dinner. The staff was great and we had a blast.

They have a B & B that looked nice, but we stayed in town for the couple of nights we were there.

The website is: http://www.poggioalsorbo.it/

by Lhenne1

Sorry! I also spent time at the vineyard linked below. We were here for a party one night with some friends and the staff did a really nice job. They have private tours and dinners as well. It's closer to Lucca, I believe.

Website: http://www.fattoriailpoggio.com/english/ieri-e-oggi.htm

Great, thanks!

by Beausoleil

Greve is a great central location for visiting Tuscany. We stayed on the hill above Greve and drove all over the place. You can visit Siena, Montalcino where the Osteria al Giardino was our favorite restaurant of the entire trip. S. Antimo Abbey is right down the hill from Montalcino. Volterra is a treasure and we really enjoyed Ristorante Ombra della Sera there. We also visited Radda-in-Chianti and the Abbey at Badia a Coltibuono. There is a lovely-looking restaurant at the Abbey but we had just finished lunch so didn't try it.

Oltre il Giardino is a nice restaurant in Panzano. Taverna del Guerrino in Montefioralle is another and the views are fabulous. The little stone village is a treasure. In Greve try Bottega del Moro on the river. It's not fancy but the food is good.

Beautiful area. Greve is very touristy but also lots of fun. They have a great outdoor market on Saturday mornings.

Sounds great, thank you!