Via Dante, 14, San Gimignano, 53037, Italy

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Villa Belvedere

Lower part of la Torre ChigiLower part of la Torre Chigi

la Loggia del Comunela Loggia del Comune

chiesa in the square-Collegiate Church from 1148chiesa in the square-Collegiate Church from 1148

Museo del VinoMuseo del Vino

Accomodation?

by dimli

we are visiting Tuscany in April with our little daughter (2 years old) and we are looking for an accomodation for 3 nights. We want to be close to florence and preferably in a farmhouse or a villa.
Could you suggest a farmhouse or villa for us to stay?

Re: Accomodation?

by travelgourmet

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Hotel Villa Belvedere in Colle Val d'Elsa (near Siena} about 25 minutes to the center of Florence. This is a villa that is now like a hotel, but maintains the feel of a villa. We enjoyed the restaurant on site as well as a cooking class. We found the location ideal to see many of the Tuscan hill towns, as well as Florence and Siena. See their webpage: http://www.villabelvedere.com/

Re: Accomodation?

by rickysfriend

try to contact terreni1966@tiscali.it.
They have lovely villa with easy access to florence, Pisa, Lucca, Sienna.
Enjoy!

Centrally located Hotel in Tuscany

by Yogues

My wife and I are looking for a centrally located hotel in Tuscany to stay for 4 days during a two week driving tour of Italy. We plan to take day trips from there to Pisa, Florence, Siena, elsewhere in Tuscany. Any suggestions of nice places in the 100 to 150 Euro range?

Thanks

RE: Centrally located Hotel in Tuscany

by travelgourmet

My wife and I found the town of Colle Val D'Elsa to be centrally located in Tucsany. We stayed at the Hotel Villa Belvedere but I am not sure what they would charge for this year. You can contact them at website: www.villabelvedere.com ..... I do know of another good and reasonable hotel in Colle Val D'Else that was a former Paper Mill. It is called Hotel La Vecchia Cartieri. Only around E90 for two a night. See website: http://www.tuscanyinluxury.com/vecchiacartieri/index.html

RE: RE: Centrally located Hotel in Tuscany

by Yogues

Thanks for the info. The Belvedere is looking like a good possibility.

B&B's in Tuscany

by Mrpink

My wife and I will be traveling in Tuscany in early August. Is it possible to reserve a room in a B&B or similar type of accommodation just a day or two in advance at this time of year or should we use one town as our "Home Base" and expolore the region via day trips?(we will be renting a car).

Regards,

Robert

Re: B&B's in Tuscany

by travelgourmet

Tuscany is not like the US in cities or towns or distances. The area from Florence to Siena, is only about 45 miles. My wife and I stayed at the Villa Belvedere,a 17th century villa in Colle Di Val d'Elsa, that roughly splits the two major cities. Nearby is San Gimignano, Valterra, Creve in Chianti, Radda in Chianti, and other delightful hills towns with wineries and shopping and scenery beyond belief. So, in my opinion, use one town, try to center it, and enjoy all the areas, via day trips. BTW, driving is not that difficult in the Tuscany region of Italy. Parking is hard to find in some towns and you may have to park and walk in many. Enjoy. The website for the Villa that we stayed in is: www. Ciao

Re: Re: B&B's in Tuscany

by travelgourmet

website for Hotel Villa Belvedere in Colle de Val d'Elsa is www.villabelvedere.com Ciao

Re: B&B's in Tuscany

by frank_c64

I just got back from Italy where I spent a week in Tuscany. My wife and I stayed in a B&B in Molina di Quosa where we could visit the Pisa and Lucca areas. We then moved on to Tavarnelle Val di Pesa which was convenient to see Florence and Sienna areas. We booked both B&B's by calling the day before. I am not sure if it will be possible to do this in August though.

Websites of the places we stayed are:

I would recommend the Sovigliano, ask for one of the appartments. Its like having your own cottage on the Tuscan hills... it was so relaxing to come back to after a day of touring.

Have fun.

Travel Tips for San Gimignano

Gate of San Giovanni

by KiNyA

The Gate of San Giovanni was erected in 1262. This gate, surmounted by a guard-room, is characterized by a peculiar segmental arch, an architectural feature typical of the nearby town of Siena. Through this gate you enter the town and find yourselves in Via San Giovanni, an important street since ancient times.

In Tuscany you must taste local wines

by satara about Wine-Bar "Enoteca diVinorum"

We were looking for some special experience and didn't want to dine in a regular pizzeria or restaurant, so the enoteca (which means wine tasting bar) just next to our appartment seemed to be a really great choice.
From the piazza (square) there is a little door. You enter it and find yourself surrounded by many shelves of various kind local wines. You go downstairs and you find yourself in a very lovely and mysterious dining place. It seems like you are in medieval castle, with walls of rocks and many arcs that divide the place for tables from the wine bar.
They have some leaflets in Italian, English and German, so you can read the history of the place and about the wines. Really cool. They have mostly various kinds of wine, but there is also some little food you can order as well. I had some salad (don't remember the name) with fried mozzarella, but the dish appeared too salty for me so I was forced to drink all my wine immediately:)
I loved the interior design there very much. Photos of lightenings on the walls, red bricks, little candles on the table - all created the mysterious look of the place.
And last but not the least - the bar attenders are really cute there :)) Some of the "Italiano vero" I could say, just as we girls imagine Italians... hehehe...:))

Palazzo Comunale & Torre Grossa

by sue_stone

San Gimignano's Palazzo Comunale (town hall) was founded in the 13th century, and sits looking over Piazza del Duomo, next to the Collegiata.

This medieval palace is home to the Museo Civico and the Pinacoteca, which house some interesting works by local artists and help you gain an understanding of the history of the town and surrounding area.

Also found in the Palazzo Comunale is the Torre Grossa (Big Tower). This is the tallest tower still standing in San Gimignano. You can climb to the top (it is only about 60 metres tall) and enjoy the stunning views over the town and valley.

The cost to visit the museum and climb the tower was 5 euro (Sep 2006) and was well worth it as the views from the top of the tower was the highlight of our visit to San Gimignano.

Walking at Via San Giovanni

by KiNyA

Through gate of San Giovanni you enter the town and find yourselves in Via San Giovanni, an important street since ancient times. It used to be followed by travellers in the Middle Ages and still today it is full of shops and beautiful mansions very well preserved.
Walking down this street you come across the Church of San Francesco on the right side.

Photo taken by our guide.

Palazzo Vecchio del Podestà e la Torre Rognosa

by MM212

Built in 1239, Palazzo Vecchio del Podestà served as the seat of the government until it moved to Palazzo Comunale after 1288. In 1337, the building was expanded further, which probably resulted in the mix of architectural styles we see today, half stone and half brick. It served as lodging for important visitors and then a school until 1537, when a theatre, known as il Teatro dei Leggieri was constructed within the building. Attached to Palazzo Vecchio del Podestà is la Torre Rognosa which was built in 1200 and rises 52 metres. It is one of the highest and best conserved in San Gimignano.

Comments