Via San Matteo 87, San Gimignano, Tuscany, 53073, Italy

Hotel L'Antico Pozzo
Hotels.com Expedia.com Venere.com

• Perfect stay in San Gimignano at L'Antico Pozzo!

We found this hotel within the city walls as we wanted to try staying in an medieval tuscan city especially at night when the crowds are gone. It was unforgettable! This hotel is family-run and the staff was really nice giving so many great recommendations and helped us with all of our need. Our room was clean, spacious with original decors, my laptop worked perfectly by adsl wifi signal. The buffet breakfast was served in a charming large area where we found a rich buffet with lot of fresh food. If you are looking for small, personal, charming, and in the heart of a beautiful ancient Tuscan city this is the perfect choice.

Unique Quality: Charming atmosphere, great service,family run

More about L'Antico Pozzo

Lovely hotel, friendly service.

We stayed at this hotel the first time in 2003 for 8 days. We liked it so much we returned in May of 2004 for 10 days. We have already booked our stay to return for the third time in May of 2006. This time we are bringing 2 of our best friends with us.
We found the hotel lovely, charming, and elegant. We got to know the 3 owners and found them to be extremely helpful in many, many ways.
The rooms are large and well appointed. The glowing reviews found in the professional travel books are correct. This is a gem of a hotel in a lovely historic small town.
It is the perfect setting and location to use as a base to tour all of Tuscany. We liked coming home each day to a warm, friendly, homey place each day.

Fantastic L'Antico Pozzo

If you want to do San Gimi in style you got to go to the L'Antico Pozzo. This family run Hotel close to town centre is an absolute treat. You will meet lovely people who will look after you. Fantastic rooms, very friendly service are creating an atmosphere which one will never forget. My wife, our two kids (6/8) really loved this fantastic little hotel which added so much pleasure to our visit in San Gimignano. We will be back!

beautiful stay!

I came to San Gimignano for the first time at the beginnig of July and liked so much that I decided to come back in September to see the harvest and taste some wine. Just in the centre of the town I discovered this small and romantic hotel where I felt as home. Rooms are large, clean with frescos and fireplace, the family that owns Antico Pozzo is very kind and always ready to help you in every matter. Service is very good and they serves you homemade breakfast in the morning. Really a good value for money hotel!
Think I will come back soon...

Recommended (we're from the Bronx)

by TripAdvisor Member WereFromTheBronx

Diamond In The Rough. Authentic villa atmosphere with discreet service. Location: Excellent - off the "main drag". Quiet but still centrally located close to the Piazza Del Duomo. There are two main streets in San Gimi - this is the less commercial main street. Also walkable to parking lot #3. Amenities: Excellent - very nice breakfast (Included in the room rate) - cereals, fruit, cheese, meats, home baked goods - in either outdoor courtyard or dining room. Also free high speed internet in lounge and self tour of underground cellars. Room: Small, clean, nice view of towers, modern/upgraded bathroom. Other hotels visited on this trip: Hotel Lungarno (Florence), Villa Accini (Monterosso), Perouse (Nice).

Very, very disappointed in this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Italywinker

I had made my reservation months in advance, so thought I would be able to get a good room. We had the smallest room I have ever seen (and I know rooms are small in Europe, but this was ridiculous.) It was so small there was no walkway between the twin beds and the desk. You practically had to crawl over a table to get to the one bed. I asked for a superior room, but did not get one. The room was clean, but plain, almost spartan in the decoration. I had asked for a view, but we got some quaint rooftops and not much else. Breakfast was ok and served in a nice room, but I would not stay here again or recommend this hotel. I made my decision to stay here based on Karen Browns book about quaint inns in Italy. I won't take her recommendations again, either.

Lovely hotel

It's hard for me to get surprised when travelling, as I am kind of fussy :-) This time I did get surprised in discovering this place, a perfect balance between simple elegance and charming atmosphere, located in an historical building in harmony with the character of the traditional tuscan village . I usually try to avoid standard hotels as I prefer the native taste:I love taking pictures!If you are looking for the same this is the right choice! Our room was in the attic with a big window facing the public park, very clean and quiet, bathroom renewed with all facilities. Breakfast was excellent and rich, with fresh fruit salad and home made cake, no sense of industrial treatment at all. Staff very helpful and caring, you can see the hotel is under family management by the way in which they run it, they also showed us the superior rooms with canopy-beds which are really outstanding. We were also able to get on the internet free of charge :) I think this is excellent treatment in terms of value for money. We were really lucky to find this great place!

Awesome Hotel in Tuscany

by TripAdvisor Member westford

I brought a small group of friends to Tuscany and we stayed at Hotel L'Antico Pozzo, right in the middle of the walled city of San Gimignano. The hotel was awesome...staff was responsive and the rooms were really charming. The best part was being right in the middle of the action during the day and still enjoying a quiet peaceful town at night. My friends are still talking about the hotel and how much they loved it - it really MADE the trip. And OH the views....Looking for a hotel in Tuscany...I highly recommend the L'Antico Pozzo. Joyce from Boston

Absolutely Perfect!!

by TripAdvisor Member WeWillGoATL

This was one of our favorite hotels from our honeymoon this fall! Our room was on the second floor, immediately next to the breakfast room. And it was almost exactly the same size as the breakfast room - huge! It had a beautiful canopy bed with a pretty view of the city below. There was also a window in our bathroom that opened onto the street. No frescoes on our ceiling but we didn't miss them!

Room was comfortable and quiet - even during the very busy breakfast hours. The hotel was charming with excellent caverns below for the ancient wine cellar and free internet in the wine bar. The staff were also very helpful and provided us with restaurant recommendations and travel advice. They didn't speak a lot of English but enough to provide you with everything you could need.

I highly recommend this hotel in San Gimignano. Off of the main square by about a 4 minute walk and near everything you could ever want!

Nice place to stay in fascinating hilltown

by TripAdvisor Member Parkie1

Located on Via San Matteo, a few minutes walk from the center of town, Hotel L'Antico Pozzo is housed in a 15th century townhouse (check out the interesting well and stone cellars in the basement). It was wonderful seeing the town at night with quiet streets and waking up in the morning to look out the window and watch children heading to school while shopkeepers set out their displays.

We arrived at night and found our way to the northeast corner of the walled town where we drove our car into Porta San Iacapo to drop our luggage off in front of the hotel. Returning the same way, we parked outside the north wall in an overnight lot and walked up a steep stairway which led into the town walls where a few turns down some streets brought us back to the hotel. A suggestion: do NOT arrive at night. It is called a hilltown for a reason - the roads twist and turn, rise and fall, have few guardrails, and are extremely narrow. It is hard enough to drive during the day, don't make it harder by driving when you can't see where you are going in the dark.

The hotel itself was quiet. Our room was huge with a high ceiling, coral colors, painted decorations, canopied bed, and tiled floors. It was located adjacent to the large breakfast room one floor up from the lobby (there was no morning noise from the diners but the hotel was also not busy). The bathroom was dated: the glass shower panel in the bathtub was not sealed at the bottom so water covered the bathroom floor and crept into the bedroom after a few minutes of use. Fixtures and tiles were older but everything was clean. The gentleman who checked us in was a little aloof, but the man who worked the late evening shift was very friendly. Breakfast consisted of meats, cheeses, breads, fruits and pasteries...more than adequate to start the day. We used the computer in the sitting room to catch up on email which was much appreciated.

We only spent one night in town but in retrospect we should have spent an additional night. This would have allowed us to spend a full day visiting the sites without leaving at 3 pm to reach our next destination before nightfall. Do not miss the Collegiata which has marvelous fresco cycles. A walk around the edge of town also provides nice views of the countryside. The old towers are very impressive and really appear from a distance like a "Medieval Manhatten". Shopping in town is also enjoyable.

San Gimignano is definitely worth a stopover and Hotel L'Antico Pozzo is a fine place to stay within the walls.

Comments