Piazza della Cisterna, 13, San Gimignano, Tuscany, 53073, Italy

Hotel Leon Bianco
Booking.com Venere.com Expedia.com

• An oasis for the weary traveler

We had occasion to spend one night at the Hotel Leon Bianco in mid-October 2007. I was so pleased with my choice. The staff was friendly and very helpful from start to finish. The facility is situated right on Piazza dells Cisterna but the night was quiet. The lobby is large and nicely decorated. There is a lift, internet point (service was down though when we were there), and fitness room. The buffet breakfast was the best I experienced in 28 days of travel in Italy. Huge selection of the standard fare, meats, cheeses, breads, pastries, cereal, juices and fruit. The prize for me was the poached eggs and the wonderful cappuccino. I had been missing eggs for breakfast. Our room, on the second floor was positively wonderful. Large, bright, clean and very nicely decorated. The room had a telephone, satellite TV (another bonus as I had been wondering what was going on in our world). Italian showers are generally so small it is impossible to bend more than about 30 degrees without rapping your head but this very modern bathroom had a full size tub with shower. Yeah! I could finally bend over to wash my feet. A powerful hairdryer was at our disposal. AND....the view out the window was to die for and at no extra cost! A very positive experience was had at a very reasonable cost. I would certainly recommend the Hotel Leon Bianco.

Directions: Can't miss it right on the main square of San Gimignano

More about Leon Bianco

Impressions of San Gim

by myriam_c

Extract of my travel report:
San Gim, what to tell about it? I have a bit mixed feelings about San Gim. It was between day and dusk when we got there which put some magic over the city but even then I knew this was not my city. I had read quite a bit about it and my expectations were high, maybe that's why I was a little disappointed. It was full of souvenir shops and despite the late hour, the tourists hadn't gone. I have nothing against tourists, I am one myself after all, but this city was like a "tourists only" place to me. We strolled around, found Piazza della Cisterna and were glad that the hotel Leon Bianco was fully booked when I tried to get a room there during my hotelsearch. The piazza itself was the not so attractive main square of this medieval city with a good view on the towers of San Gim. For me the sight on San Gimignano from outside the walls was more impressive than the city itself.
One good thing about San Gim was the dinner we had there. We saw places recommended by Frommer's or Karen Brown but - stubborn as we are - we usually try to avoid such places. They are mostly frequented by tourists only who pay too much for a mediocre meal.

Complete travel report can be found at http://mappic.org/viewTravelogue.jsp?id=3

Comments