Alma Domus

Via Camporegio, 37, Siena, Tuscany, 53100, Italy
Hotel Alma Domus
Hotels.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

More about Alma Domus

If you are looking to save money, it may be a good option

by TripAdvisor Member ualsu

The positives: It is inexpensive, the views are good, and the rooms are large.

The negatives: The staff is very unfriendly and not helpful (i.e. won't call a cab, don't have maps of the city, and don't provide restaurant recommendations). The beds are very soft. The shower makes a total mess of the entire bathroom, you have to use your towels to dry the floor and walls so you can use the toilet and sink. This becomes a problem if you shower daily because there is not daily maid service. Over the three days we were there, the hot drink machine in the hall didn't work.

A room with a view

My wife and I have different opinions on Alma Domus. I loved it for the view. I kept taking pictures out the window till I got a good one because I just couldn't believe that 60 EUR would get me a view of the Duomo in Siena.

My wife didn't like it because she found the curfew confining and the long hilly walk to the Campo wasn't ideal. We also had a mixed blessing with the noise. On one hand we were right next to the street where they were celebrating St. Catherine which was a lucky considence. On the other hand, they banged drums and partied all night. Right outside our window. Yes, loud drums at 3am. (I guess i'ts only once a year, supposedly 4/29, but this year celebrated 5/6. Maybe observed on Saturdays?)

The location is near the bus stop and good restaurants.

The staff wasn't outwardly friendly, but they weren't unfriendly either. One spoke some english. The other spoke barely any.

We actually liked the "whole bathroom" shower. There is no curtain or separation between the shower and the rest of the bathroom. Hide the toilet paper and towels, live with a wet floor, and look at it as the biggest shower you'll find in an Italian hotel.

Good value place, Gr8 view

by TripAdvisor Member spartac

I've read about this place in rick Steves' guide and it is all he promisses. Great location, great view (I was on the 3rd floor, room 25). Somewhat cold welcome but that never bothered me. Great value for the price we paid (60E in high season).

PROs:
- Great Value
- Great View from the room. Request a room "Con Vista" (with view)
- Charming room , if somewhat basic.
- Isolated from street noise

CONs:
. Really noisy sometimes. You wouldn't think that of this type of place. But everytime someone on the floor above took a shower or went to the bathroom we heard the water running in the pipes. So request a room on the 4th floor.
- Somewhat hard to get to the first timeas you can only park the car 30 min to get the bags out. But this is not major.

Basic, but a good deal

by TripAdvisor Member Alisseta

I spent three weeks staying at Alma Domus in the summer of 2006. While it is not luxurious, the rooms are air-conditioned, and the ones on upper floors have lovely balconies with views of the Duomo. It is quiet and very clean. I enjoyed staying here very much, and would happily stay here again. The only downside is the 11:30 curfew -- though happily the management was a little liberal with that during the Palio!

great location and value

by TripAdvisor Member twomelbournians

We chose to stay in a monastery in Siena and were not disappointed in Alma Domus. It was just what we expected - convenient location and surrounded by medieval buildings. We had a large and clean room with ensuite, balcony and a view of the Duomo. Sister Jacinta was helpful, despite her lack of English, as were the other local staff. However, some of the other staff were distinctly unfriendly and unwelcoming. We would choose to stay there again nevertheless. It is great value for money and a fantastic location.

Breakfast is not provided but the coffee machine provides good coffee, and it's cheap. In addition, everything is within walking distance.
Mike and Marie, Melbourne, Australia

Delightful place with great view

by TripAdvisor Member snglfmltrvlr

I found this place in the Rick Steves Italy tourbook. The room was quite spacious and had a small balcony (request a room with a view, and you'll get a fantastic view of the Duomo!). The bathroom was a good size--I thought I was missing the shower until I realized that the bathroom WAS the shower (see pics)! I had a good giggle over that one. But really, it's kinda cool having a sink in your shower, and this was by far the roomiest shower I had in Italy, so I actually liked it. The room was very clean and neat, the bed was great, the location was very nice and convenient (Siena is hilly). This is another place that's more like a very nice adult dormitory than a hotel. No TV, no phone, no breakfast. I thought the front desk was very pleasant and the men spoke good English. There was noise from a nearby restaurant, but all noise seemed to cease at 11pm (church bells start up at 7am). I thought the price was good for Siena, and I would definitely recommend staying here.

Good way to save some euro

by TripAdvisor Member rbrandsix

In the midst of a 6 night trip in Italy, we spent one night here. I found it to be as expected....clean & simple. The most unusual thing,
and it has been mentioned before, is that the shower is just part of the bathroom - no special compartment, curtain. etc. This could be an issue if you were strictly a morning shower person. We solved the dilemma of a wet bathroom, by showering at night - then all was dry the next day.

Sleeping in Italy is spendy, and staying here will provide you with a break from that. We spent 175 euro for a triple and a quad. I wouldn't want to stay here for an extended visit, but for a quick stop in Siena it works well.

Worth the view

by TripAdvisor Member Alpenglowtraveler

We didnt see any nuns running around but we enjoyed staying in their hotel. The view of Siena from our room was awesome especially in late day light. The room was spacious, very clean and nicely furnished with an adequate bathroom. Its not a warm, fuzzy place like a small family hotel. Its very nicely located with lots of free parking not far away near the fortress. We were able to contact them in English via fax since they have no internet reservation system.

Good bargain for decent accomodations

by TripAdvisor Member edevlin

After reading some of the reviews, I was hesitant to book, but am glad I did. The balcony view from our room was spectacular. The staff was efficient and the location good. The room was nothing fancy, but was clean. The beds were a little hard. The bathroom was fine, even if the shower was small. Hotel Alma Domus was a steal at the price (I hope the nuns will forgive my pun.)

Great find in Siena!

by TripAdvisor Member clurmani

I organized a trip to Italy for my family - there were eight of us. I was able to get two quad rooms with private baths. The views were amazing - we looked out over the Doumo and most of the city! We needed to be in by 11:30 each night but we were so tired it didn't really matter. The shower had no stall or tub - it was the entire bathroom - but it wasn't really a problem. The location was great as well - a quick five minute walk (at the most) to the bus station that would take you to Florence or the train station. The only difficult thing was making the reservation. I couldn't get the fax to go through so I had to find a friend who spoke Italian to make the reservation and then mail my request. I would definitely stay here again!

Comments