Fonti d'Ovile

Good For No Data

More about Siena

Basilica of San DomenicoBasilica of San Domenico

Palazzo SalimbeniPalazzo Salimbeni

The restaurant facadeThe restaurant facade

The library is covered in colorful frescoesThe library is covered in colorful frescoes

siena luggage

by davesheppard

Where can we leave our luggage while we are touring Siena? We will be traveling from one town to another but will stop for four or five hours in Siena and want to take a walk about. But what do we do with our luggage? I understand there is no left luggage facility at the train station in Siena.

RE: siena luggage

by mccalpin

Hmmmn, the trenitalia.com site does indeed say that there is not Left Luggage service at the train station, although it is occasionally wrong.

I did find this: "Left luggage At the TRA-IN bus information centre below Piazza Gramsci (daily 7am-7.45pm; L5000/?2.58 per piece for one day only). At the train station, there are self-service lockers on platform 1 (L3000/?1.55 per 6hr). " (see http://www.infohub.com/Destinations/Europe-&-Russia/Italy/Siena/79231.htm )

Note, however, that this page is somewhat dated, since it is listing costs in both lira and euros (so it's likely to be several years old).

I looked at the bus company website (TRA-IN is actually a bus company) at www.trainspa.it, but it didn't mention left luggage one way or the other...so this isn't a lot of help yet...

Bill

RE: RE: siena luggage

by davesheppard

Thanx so much for the info. We have travelled a lot but not in Italy and Italy seems to have rules of its own. Information seems hard to come by.

Travel Tips for Siena

What's that green wreath in autumn?

by Trekki

During all my travels in Italy, I have never been there mid November and so this was new to me. We saw a lot of young people in elegant nice dresses and some had a green wreath on their head. Obviously celebrations were going on. Claudio, one of my teachers, told me that these were the celebrations going on after finishing university – Laurea. And the wreaths are what the newly graduates get, together with flowers and other gifts. The wreath is said to symbolise wisdom. A cute custom I think.

© Ingrid D., December 2010.

Battistero di San Giovanni - the entrance

by globetrott

Battistero di San Giovanni is built at the end of the " Duomo "
You have to enter it by stepping down to a lower level.

It has great ornaments and may be easily overseen, as you may get the feeling it is a part of the main cathedral

There is a small entrance-fee of about 2 €

Great Ambience and the Food's Good Too

by annie16 about Ristorante Guido

Lovely restaurant with a great ambience.
On arrival the waiters discovered I had a few words of Italian so refused to speak English which resulted in great hilarity all evening. When I noticed that some Americans were ordering in English I asked why all the staff were talking to us in Italiano. The head waiter said that my Italian was so good why would they speak bad English? By the time we left they had me convinced that I could speak Italian after having a long involved conversation about the political implications of the Prince of Wales' marriage to Camilla!
Because of all the fun I forgot what I ate but the pasta was delicious and the tiramisu exquisite.

An incredible view

by alysania

For the entrance fee for the museum, you can climb the facciatone next to the cathedral. Originally meant to be the long part of the cross shape of the "new extended" cathedral, you're allowed to climb to the top by way of a narrow spiraling staircase and peer out over the edge. Not recommended for those with fear of heights!

Museo del Duomo

by croisbeauty

The Cathedral Museum is situated in the first three arches of the New Cathedral, the only its part that have survived. Many works of art, specialy created for the interior of the New Cathedral, are preserved now in this museum. Here you can see the ten statues which Giovanni Piasano, one of the greatest European Gothic sculptor, had sculpted for the facade of the cathedral, the high-relief by Jacopo della Quercia, the Majesty by Duccio di Buoninsegna which is a masterpiece, and many others.

Comments