Tenuta Il Santo Hotel

Tenuta Il Santo
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Siena

View from the loggia (November weather)View from the loggia (November weather)

CampoCampo

Photo, thanks to ademie.comPhoto, thanks to ademie.com

A modern stained glass creation adorns the altarA modern stained glass creation adorns the altar

Livorno to Siena on April 25 ?

by jocelysue

We are on a cruise that docks in Livorno on April 25, a national holiday in Italy. We had planned on renting a car but rental agencies seem to be closed on that day. We would like to go to Siena. However it seems to take a long time with a stopover and change .

Is there a direct bus from Livorno to Siena and back ? If so, where can I find the timetable.

Also could you please tell me whether the museums have regular hours or do they have Sunday hours?

Any info will be welcome. Even private tours that are relatively inexpensive.

Thank you very much.

by craic

there may be buses but i always use trains in italy

here is the trenmitalia site for you to check it out

i had a look and there doesn't seem to be a direct train to Siena

you have to change at empoli - which is easy enough to do

I have an idea - could be wrong - that the train station in siena is a little out of town - someone else will be able to help you with that i hope - whether it is, whether you catch a bus or a taxi

by craic

oh now i see - you have already checked out the trains

sorry i can't help you with a bus

by nicolaitan

Siena - the bus station is centrally located, the train station is on the outskirts of town.

Livorno to Siena and back in one cruise-stop day - all in all, difficult and not such a workable plan.

by craic

had an idea it was nico - ta

by jocelysue

Thanks very much Nico.

Guess we,ll have to hire a private car & driver.

Ciao.

by nicolette1234

Siena is one of the most wonderful cities in Tuscany, you can rent a car no problem I am sure the Hertz will be open even if it is a holiday in Italy.I have done it last year.If you want to rent a car you can call the 00393355896854
I saved all the Hertz lady information because you never know...I was thinking to do that again and it Tuscany was a blast!!
If you need something let me know I will be very happy to help you!!
Talk to you soon.

Travel Tips for Siena

Meeting people

by syllybabe

We waited at Dievole's patio before the wine tour started. In our small group of 4 we had this sweet couple from South Africa who were enjoying their retirement by travelling every chance they get. I'd love to grow old and have a travelling partner who enjoys it as much as I do.
She smiled and laughed a lot...especially after tasting all that wine ;-)

A Balloon Ride

by syllybabe

For $150US you can go on a hot air balloon ride and see the Tuscan countryside from a different angle. Float over vineyards and farmhouses and feel like you're being swept away. Strawberries and champagne await you when your ride's over.

Act like an Italian

by annie16 about La Torre

I booked a table here in my rudimentary Italian so didn't realize until we were seated with glasses of Prosecco that no-one, including the other customers, spoke English. I was greeted as "Bella donna", which I took as a compliment rather than an offer of deadly nightshade and from then on the language barrier disappeared. No menu, the owner recited the antipasto, then the pasta, then the main courses, and returned again to recite "La dolce". The kitchen and the two chefs are in full view, the owner and the barman wait tables and everyone is intent on you having a good time. After the meal we strolled the few steps to Il Campo which was bathed in moonlight. A magical evening! We ate crostini, then home-made pasta, tagliatelle with ragu, ravioli stuffed with ricotta and spinach, then shared roast chicken and salad, finished off with pannacotta so light it melted on your tongue, but unfortunately probably settled on your hips.
The insalata mista offered in most trattoria can be a cacophony of flavours. if you prefer green salad learn to order insalata verde solo which usually gets you a bowl of salad leaves which you can dress with the olive oil and wine vinegar on the table

Palazzo Publico

by karenincalifornia

The Palazzo Publico sits on the edge of the Piazza del Campo. Built between 1310 and 1288, and always the site of leadership of Siena, today it houses the offices of the Local Council. It also provides access to the Civic Museum.

A small entrance fee will gain you admission. That is, if you go through the main door for tourists. We mistakenly entered through the door for the Local Council, past armed guards. No one questioned us, so I suppose we looked like we were there on official business (dressed like tourists, carrying cameras, two kids in tow). We climbed the stairs to the second floor. From there we found access to the Civic Museum through a door that could have said No Entry, but it was in Italian, so what did we know? It was not until we were exiting, that we discovered a tourist entrance where an admission fee was required.

I'm not saying this is how you should get into the Civic Museum, but if you are traveling on a shoe string, you DO have to be resourceful at times...

Cramped quarters

by sargentjeff

This building is beautiful indeed. What was impressive this day was the beautiful backdrop the Tuscany clouds provided. To get a picture of the whole building you have to back up all the way against the building directly in front of the Duomo.

Inside has the black and white "Zebra" striped bricks that are common in many churches in Italy from that period.

It was constructed between 1226 and the early 1300's