Via San Martino 23, Viareggio, 55049, Italy
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Hotel Tirrenia

Good Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member FatsBearded

My girlfriend & I stayed for 6 nights at the Hotel Tirrenia towards the end of July 2007.. we paid $95 a night for one of the attic rooms booked through Expedia. I don't think I'm a picky bloke really so hopefully my points below will give you fellow travellers out there an unbiased review of the Hotel Tirrenia.

Firstly the good points for the Hotel Tirrenia:

~ Service is excellent & very personal (Probably some of the best service I have ever had for a 3 star hotel! Better than the 4 star we had in Rome) If you drop a spoon at breakfast literally seconds later someone is there offering you a new one without even seeing you drop it, it's like they have spiderman sense haha!
~ Hotel Staff are very helpful, any thing you want to know they are more than happy to help. You even get a little talk from the Hotel Manager when you first arrive at the hotel telling you all about the area along with a little flyer showing you a numbered map of the area with places to eat, he even offers to tell you what each restaurant specialises in, cheap eats, fish, traditional etc.
~ The hotel is very clean with very friendly maids.
~ Furnishings are simple but very nice & modern throughout.
~ Breakfasts are good, the usual array for a B&B cereals, breads, cheese, meats, fruit plus free eggs cooked if you want them.
~ Free internet access 24 hours a day on one PC in reception.
~ Discounted sunbeds & chairs for the beach opposite.
~ Shower was nice, powerful and easy to adjust with hot water always available.
~ Free use of safe & fridge in the rooms.
~ Excellent position for the beach & all the restaurants & bars, literally 1 or 2 minutes walk to the beach across a main road.

Now for the bad points for hotel Tirrenia:

~ The previous comments by DrFu regarding the size of the attic rooms were partially accurate.. the room is about 3ft one end and roughly about 5ft 10” at the highest unfortunately this means if your over 5ft 10” then I would avoid these rooms, you need to duck right down to walk around most of the small room so my girlfriend & I were constantly forgetting and banging our heads! Doh. The only thing I was actually annoyed about was the height restrictions weren't advertised when originally reserving the room which I think is a bit naughty, even though the rooms were cheap personally I would have rather paid a little extra to get a normal room so I didn't come home with concussion lol (that was a joke regarding the concussion)
~ The bathroom is the same size again , I am about 5ft 11” and I couldn't stand straight while shaving in the bathroom mirror not really ideal. Conveniantly and quite amusingly for the guys when you need to stand and use the loo there is a window right above the toilet in the ceiling you so you don't have to duck haha!!
~ The air conditioning units in our attic room was very noisy even on a lower fan setting (it's the individual air cons units like you have on the wall in your office rather than a usual grill/grate leading from a central air con unit on the hotel roof as per usual). The biggest problem is due to the noise of them we could not leave them on when you are trying to sleep meaning you wake up half way through the night sweating profusely if you go in peak season when it's very hot in the evenings!
~ Some of the bathroom towels had seen better days and were a little worn & had a couple of stains on them although they were always replaced on a daily basis.

To summarise I would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone needing a Hotel to stay in when visiting Viareggio, you'll have a lovely time! The only stipulation would be if your over 5ft 10” then I would suggest you do not book the attic rooms unless you really are on a tight budget.

Lastly unrelated to the Hotel I'd like to give a bit of advice on the resort.

~The sunbeds on the private beaches opposite the Hotel Tirrenia can work out to be expensive for a long stay daily costs are as follows “with” the discount from the hotel (Prices correct as of 19th July 2007)

To sit on the beach all day with your own towel ~ $3
For two seats/deck chair type things & a parasol ~ $15
For two seats & two sunbeds & a parasol ~ $23

~ Viareggio is not really a tourist resort, so do not expect everyone to be able to speak English. Most menus we saw were in Italian only or if they do have English they are badly translated, e.g My girlfriend ordered Pasta with prawns & got Pasta with whole linguistines.

The perfect place to stay - and So friendly

by TripAdvisor Member westhills

Another wonderful "find" - thanks to trip advisor! It was our first visit to Viareggio, but not, I hope, our last. The Hotel was in a wonderful position, and spotlessly clean. The breakfasts were a joy - and served until 10.30 am, which was nice. The staff were, without exception, absolutely first class. They could not have been more helpful, and were unfailingly polite and professional, as well as pleasant and friendly. They have reason to be justifiably proud of their lovely Hotel.
I would recommend the Hotel Tirrenia unconditionally. Thankyou, trip advisor, for showing it to me!

Absolute Gem !

by TripAdvisor Member HARPSUK

Just got back from a week's stay at this delightful hotel.I booked it on the strength of some very good reviews on this website and I can only wholeheartedly endorse all the positive comments that have already been made.

If you are looking for 5 star luxury with gym/pool etc then don't stay here but if you want excellent value for money, spotlessly clean rooms, towels changed daily, in-room fridge and safe, air conditioning, small flat screen TV ( all free ! ) then you must stay here. The hotel is approx 200 metres from the seafront/beach where all the restaurants/cafes are situated - it is an excellent location.

Luca and his family cannot do enough for you and there are no problems with the language as Luca speaks good English.

Breakfast is continental style eg cold meats, fruit, cereals, fruit juices,toast etc and you can order eggs ( scrambled, boiled etc ) and Luca will cook them for you

I stayed here with my wife and young daughter and nothing was too much trouble for Luca and his family in ensuring we had a good stay

I would have no hesitation in staying here again

Wonderful place!

by TripAdvisor Member lmarkow

What makes this hotel wonderful are the owners! They are incredibly hospitable, friendly, helpful and dedicated. For instance, we took a day trip to Pisa. While all the guide books claimed a 45 minute walk was necessary from the station, Lucca revealed that we could go to Pisa S. Rosario and walk a mere 5 minutes. Our children were thrilled. Besides a great staff, they also have a wonderful breakfast and lovely coffee. I can't recommend the hotel enough!

Terrific Tirrenia

by TripAdvisor Member ChrisSalford

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two weeks in June and what a fantastic find. We'd booked it on the strength of the earlier reviews on TripAdvisor so our expectations were high. They were more than met.

Luca and family are really helpful, speak excellent English and nothing is too much trouble. One morning we were dashing out in the rain to catch a train during a downpour, and they offered us an umbrella to make sure we stayed dry. Another morning when late back from dropping off a hire car, having missed breakfast, they re-opened the breakfast room and gave us the full spread - it was really welcome - I was starving!

The breakfast really sets you up for the day - fresh croissants, bread and bread rolls, meats and cheese, fresh fruit, yoghurts, fruit juices, tea, coffee, cakes.....

The rooms are clean, tidy and ours was recently refurbished. We got the attic room - if you're tall you need to watch the low ceiling - but we were expecting this room and it was fine. The cleaners swept the floor daily, made the bed and changed the towels. Lovely clean shower and bathroom. The fridge in the room was very welcome for cooling bottled water and fruit juices.

The hotel has a free internet connection which is very handy, but Luca will gladly help with train times, bus times, advice on local attractions and day trips.

This is an excellent base to stay to tour Tuscany - less than 5 minutes from the beach (for which you can get a discount - even cheaper if you take your own beach towels). 10 minute walk from the railway station which is excellent for day trips to Lucca, Pisa, Florence and the Cinque Terre.

No pool, but we weren't bothered as the sea was nearby and great for swimming.

Finally, the brochure recommends a number of restaurants - generally away from the promenade - and the ones we sampled were all fantastic. We had some really memorable dining experiences, particularly the seafood, but also pasta, steaks and pizza. Worth asking Luca or his family for a particular recommendation if you have a specific preference. Also - on weekend evenings it's worth booking some of these restaurants so as not to be disappointed.

Deservedly Number One

by TripAdvisor Member halfwaySheffield

We can only add to all the positive comments about this Hotel. To save saying all the same things again, all we want to say is if you are going to the Tuscan coast, stay at the Tirrenia. You will not be disappointed. It is fantastico !

did not stay it was so bad

by TripAdvisor Member DrFu

This hotel reserved for me an "attic room" which had a 5 foot clearance at the highest point in the ceiling (it slanted down to about 3 feet at the other end of the room) and had a skylight directly over the bed, which was covered with a flimsy curtain. They also claim elevator service, but there was no elevator to this particular room. After driving 5 hours to Viareggio, this was disheartening, made worse by the nasty attitude of the owner of the hotel, who was infuriated that I wouldnt put my family in that room. I left and found a great place at Hotel libery and came back to the US to see that the owner of Tirrenia had the gall to still charge me one nights stay.

Welcoming and convenient hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Ruby_of_Arran

This hotel is welcoming and comfortable. It is well situated for exploring Viareggio and for taking trains or buses to other places like Lucca (lovely!) and Pisa.
There is a bus to Pisa airport from the nearby bus station. It takes about 50-55 minutes.

Fantastic week in the Tirrenia Hotel!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member evertcri

I have just returned after a fantastic week in the Tirrenia Hotel ..... TOTALLY WORTH IT!! The service was fantastic, great buffet breakfast, spick and span rooms, comfortable beds and air conditioning, LCD TV, wireless internet, safe box, a small fridge, very helpful and friendly staff, hotel is an ideal central location, the beach is only a few minutes walk away the hotel, close to restaurants, bus stops and a few streets away from the train station. They also gave us towels for the beach and reserved two chair and an umbrella!!
Many thanks to everyone at the Tirrenia, Luca especially went out of her way to make us all fee welcome, we look forward to going there again.
Keep it up Tirrenia.
Totally reccomended to EVERYONE!!!!

Comments