Volterra Hotels

Our Members Say

• lynda2010 profile photo lynda2010

Agriturismo San Carlo-Organic farm: Agriturismo San Carlo

We had a wonderful stay at your farm and will recommend it to everyone who will listen. It was our favourite place in Italy and you were our favourite hosts. Thank you again for your kindnesses.
The farmhouse is surrounded by extensive lawns with a large swimming pool, a roller skating or dancing rink and bowling green available for the use of its guest-
Horse Trekking
barbeque
mountain bike to rent
ping-pong
tasting our product like wine, olive oil and honey.

pool, large garden, barbeque, ping-pong, Veranda, near Volterra, san Gimignano, Tuscan Coast.
The village of Pomarance, whose origin is prior to the year 1000, preserves its structure of medieval castle with walls and access gates.

• Related to: Horse Riding, Family Travel, Food and Dining
  • Written November 16, 2010

• Bunsch profile photo Bunsch
  • Reviews: 548

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Il Portone: A restful villa for a longer stay

Il Portone is located immediately next to the "Diana" gate, one of the old Etruscan portals. It features a variety of room styles, but all have access to the lovely shady courtyard area and a smaller, sunny patio where Luciana Di Parri, the hostess, leaves bottles of wine to share in the afternoons.

We had a suite, with a large living/dining/kitchen area (well equipped), bedroom, and bath with shower. Americans used to screens in their windows may be surprised that most Italian accommodations lack this amenity. There were screens in the bedroom, but none elsewhere, so breakfast was sometimes punctuated by the thwack of a fly-swatter. I loved the shutters which helped deflect the fierce Tuscan sun!

Although Il Portone sports lovely views, what I liked most was the peace of the place. One could sit quite happily in the courtyard, watching one of the two inn cats patrol the premises. It was perfectly adequate as a base of operations, although after several days of going up the VERY steep hill to get to town, I was happy to accept a ride -- especially in the heat!

The prices were very reasonable, ranging from 414 to 620 Euros per week.

• Related to: Family Travel, Women's Travel
  • Written July 24, 2010

Il Portone

• manrag profile photo manrag

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Agriturismo La Mandriola e Ragone: The real agriturismo in Tuscany's Heart

I was looking for a holiday with my girlfriend and over the Web I've heard about this Agritourism. I contacted them and in a few days I booked my best holiday of the last years! Really, I'm really so excited about it that I'm really glad to describe it!
Barbafieri's family is real kind, polite and the accomodation is comfortable. My room was in La Torre apartment and it was full of comforts. I really enjoyed the golf practice field where I could play and improve my golf skills!

Golf practice green, swimming pool, mountain bike tracks. Obviously, that's because I was In Tuscany, other qualities of the agritourism are the excellent views and the "panorama" of green tuscany hills.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Golf, Food and Dining, Birdwatching
  • Written October 9, 2009

• ChrisMJones profile photo ChrisMJones

Tuscan Skies Apartments: Fabulous apartments near Volterra

We hired the Tuscan Skies Apartments overlooking Volterra. They were absolutely fabulous. There are two apartments, one with 3 bedrooms and the other with 2. Since there were 8 of us, we took the two together.

We couldn't have done a better thing. A wonderful setting, sitting on a "poggio" (hillock) in the Val di Cecina, with Volterra facing us one way and the medieval town of Montecatini the other. The apartments are in a beautiful old building, but have all mod cons inside,plus a share swimming pool on the site. We felt we were living in the lap of luxury, but at a very reasonable price. So relaxing!

Our reason for being near Volterra was that our children wanted to see the sites to do with the Twilight novels. Looking out of their bedroom, they woke up to it every morning. Volterra itself was a lovely spot, so atmospheric but not spoilt. Not yet anyway - we think that when people latch onto the idea it will get very popular.

Our only concern about Tuscan Skies is that other people might discover its secret! We'll never forget the place, and the arrangements for our stay were first class

Whichever way you look, it'sout onto a Tuscan landscape. One way it's over to Volterra, the other it's a quieter view of the hills and old Montecatini.

Swimming in the pool looking out at both of these views at once is a once in a lifetime experience!

Best time of the day for us was sitting on the upstairs terrace in the evening sharing a glass or two of wine.

A small garden full of lavendar - a great place to soak up the sun in the afternoons

• Written July 4, 2009

• Orkneybell profile photo Orkneybell
  • Reviews: 3

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Podere la Cassetta: Podere in Volterra, Tuscany (Podere = farmhouse)

This is a farmhouse converted into 7 private apartments, all different sizes.
Myself, my husband and three friends rented this property for two weeks from 14th June 2008.
It is private and in a very rural setting, you have to drive down a very winding and rough track to reach the property but it is well worth the drive. Our accommodation had three bedrooms, two bathrooms and large living room and kitchen combined. There was a wonderful west facing terrace with a pergola to keep off the very hot sun at the top of the day, we ate lunch around one o'clock each day prior to having a quiet afternoon, some walked, some read in the shade and some (me mostly) slept.
We ate out only on the first night of our holiday because it was a birthday, but were disappointed in the food and the service and thereafter we bought our food at the local supermarket and did all our own catering, taking it in turns to think up a main course and cook it, we all joined in and it was the best holiday we had ever had. We had not been away as a group before but enjoyed each others company and the fact that we had company when we wanted it but the freedom to do what we wanted to do on our own, I would recommend this type of holiday but you must all be agreed that you don't always go everywhere as a group.
We had a lovely swimming pool, which afforded wonderful views of the surrounding countryside and of Volterra the walled city up on the hill. We have booked to return to Tuscany next year in a different location and with added family members, we loved it so much.

The views were to die for, the peace and tranquility of the place, the wonderful sunsets. Our swimming pool was lovely and well maintained and only shared with two other families and we did not all appear at the same time. It was wonderful to come back to after a days sightseeing in Siena and Florence which were very hot during our visits.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Wine Tasting, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Arts and Culture
  • Written July 18, 2008

• sue_stone profile photo sue_stone
  • Reviews: 2318

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Porta all'Arco: Friendly hotel located just outside the city walls

Hotel Porta all'Arco is a 3 star hotel located just outside the historical centre of Volterra. Most of the rooms are located in a lovingly restored villa, and some have lovely views into the valley below. We really loved staying there, particularly as the staff were some of the friendliest hotel staff I have ever encountered!

The hotel is located only a few minutes walk from the ancient Etruscan Gate that leads up into the centre of the old town. There is parking off Via Mazzini, just near reception. It isn't the biggest parking area, but with the help of the staff you will be amazed at how many cars they can cram in. The parking area is a little dangerous to get in and out of as the entrance/exit is on a corner on a busy road, but again, the staff will stand out in the road and stop traffic if required.

Our room was on the 2nd floor of the villa. It was very comfortable and I liked the friendly d├ęcor. The bathroom was huge and very clean and the shower was excellent! We were also lucky to have views over the valley from our window.

Breakfast was served on the lower ground floor of the villa. The first morning it was quite warm and we were able to eat outside in the pretty garden. The staff greeted us so nicely and gave us a full explanation of all of the items on offer on the breakfast buffet. There were a selection of breads and some meats and cheeses, along with croissants and about 12 different cakes to choose from! I kid you not, Mama had obviously been up all night baking cakes and they were delicious. But there is only so much cake one can eat for breakfast and Mama actually looked a bit offended when Alex declined a 2nd helping!

I would highly recommend Hotel Porta all'Arco. Our room cost 88 euro per night (Sep 2006), which included our sinful breakfast and parking.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Road Trip, Family Travel
  • Written October 26, 2006

Breakfast in the garden

• ludogatto profile photo ludogatto
  • Reviews: 453

A lot of false Agritourismo!

After 2 hours of tour we returned to the parking to go on the road of Florence, looking to a restaurant ot eat a Fiornetina.
On the road from the sea to Volterra and from Volterra to florence we have seen many Agritourismo signs: be carefull, they are like hotel.
In Italy, Agriturismo have to have for the law special requirements, it's a farm and the main work for the family is the county not the tourism business. Now a lot of people buy old house, they renoved it like little hotel and call it Agritourismo.You can stay there, this place are good and with atmosphere, but they are not agriturimismo. You are in the country but not in a true farm, ok they are country hotel!.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average