Le Grazie

Via Madonna Delle Grazie 11, Assisi, Umbria, 06088, Italy
Hotel Le Grazie
Booking.com Agoda.com Travelocity

More about Assisi

the view from upper churchthe view from upper church

Monastery of St. Francis of AssisiMonastery of St. Francis of Assisi

Residence with gardenResidence with garden

A fine embroidery storeA fine embroidery store

Should I travel to Assisi from Florence?

by artiezaller

I will be spending 6 nights in Florence, as many other travellers are, in February and I see that everyone is recommending day trips to the Tuscany area. We do plan on visiting Siena and Pisa, however, should we also plan a day trip to Assisi? Will it take an entire day? What is the best mode of travel - we won't have a car. What are the "must-see" sites or cafes in Assisi?
Thank you for your help.

Re: Re: Should I travel to Assisi from Florence?

by dnwitte

Assisi is a lovely place, but not the easiest to reach from Florence. The rail station is on the valley floor in the town of Santa Maria degli Angeli. From Florence you would need to change trains in Terontola, and from SM degli Angeli either take a long walk along the highway and then a long uphill climb, or try to figure out the bus. Given the eccentricities of Italian public transport my opinion is that your time could be better spent by staying in Tuscany, and leaving Umbria for another time.
If you go anyway,the Basilica is an unparallelled architectural and artistic monument, and the main reason people go to Assisi. The town is peppered with churches of varying degrees of interest, there's a medieval fortress on the hilltop, and the pastry shops on the street running downhill from the piazza with the Roman temple converted into a church are extraordinary.

RE: Should I travel to Assisi from Florence?

by cmcard2

6 days will go fast and i would recommend seeing the following -

majors - rome - if you have not been there should see it and can do it in a day
siena is nice- pisa is a maybe - would recommend lucca, cinque terra, and perhaps verona - venice is another major if you have time. make sure you see all there is to see in florence - siena is close - make sure you see monteriggioni on the way

Travel Tips for Assisi

Visit a Mystical Hilltop Town

by Goner

I had seen many churches on this trip to Italy, but the Basilica di San Francesco was memorable because I was familiar with the story of St. Francis. He had such an impact on this world and even here in California where I live. The 21 missions that are built along the coast in California were built by the Franciscan order of monks. These missions honor St. Francis with the statues and paintings found in the missions. My San Juan Capistrano and Oceanside pages under California are a tribute to the work of these Franciscan monks. The simplicity of architecture of the church in Assisi has been duplicated in these missions, and has been replicated in the mission style furniture which is popular in California. Visiting Assisi was realizing a childhood fable. Although St. Francis was a Catholic saint, he has been honored by all Christian faiths.

Santa Chiara's Basilica - St Claire's Basilica

by Mikebb

St Claire was a companion of St Francis and this basilica was built around the year 1257. It is built from pink and white stone and is situated in a striking position in the centre of town overlooking the valley below. We were able to view the inside just prio to closing time at 7pm, it was dimly lit at that time.

Piazza del Comune

by croisbeauty

Piazza del Comune (the Main Square of the town) is situated at the heart of the town and built on the site of the ancient Roman forum. The square is surrounded by ancient medieval buildings, and a fountain stands in the middle.
To the side of the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo, a turreted the 13th century building, stands the beautiful Municipal Tower from the 14th century in which the "Bell of Lauds" was placed in 1926.

Assisi

by TimDaoust

Assisi was a short stop on my 1999 tour of Italy and France. We were on our way to Florence from Rome after having stayed there for about three days. It being a bus tour we didn't have much time to do anything except listen to a sermon from a monk from Brooklyn, NY at the church of St. Francis and then we got to walk in the town a little. I remember eating at a pizzeria and one of our chaperones got lost and her daughter who came on the trip was hysterical. Anyway, it was a beautiful little town and I just wanted to share a couple of pictures that my friend Pam took. I wish I had more to say about this place. Perhaps a future visit then?

Comments