Celebration of the Pardon
August 2 - According to the tradition, during a night of 1216, San Francesco received the visit during a prayer inside the Portiuncola from the Christ and of the Saint Mother. Saint Francis asked them to grant to each person who had repented, confessed, and visited this church that all the faults should be completely forgiven.
From this year on, after receiving the authorization directly from the Pontificate Onorio III, on August 2nd takes place in Santa Maria degli Angeli the Celebration of the Pardon. The catholic Catechism establishes nowadays that, in order to receive the plenary indulgence for oneself or a dead person, it is necessary to make a sacramental confession in order to be in the Pardon of the Christ during the week preceding or following August 2nd, to participate to the Mass and to the Eucharistic Communion, to visit the Porziuncola with the profession of faith of the Credo, the reading of "Our Father", of a prayer dedicated to the Pontificate and a prayer for the Pope himself
The Basilica of St. Francis
Both churches, the Lower and the Upper Basilica, were consecrated by Pope Innocent IV in 1253.
The square outside the main facade did not exist at that time. A large flight of steps led upwards to the gothic entrance, pierced by a large rose window aurrounded by the symbols of the four evangelists.
The lateral towers served as support for the structure, while those near the choir contained stairs.
Chiesa di S.Pietro
The Church of St. Peter, which was built in the 13th century on the site of a previous church, has elegant Romanesque-Gothic features.
The rectangular facade in two orders is particularly beautiful. The upper order, completed in 1268, has three magnificient rose windows. The lower section of the facade, decorated at the top by a series of blind arches, has a 12th century portal.
Worthy of note is the unusual cupola, built above a raised presbytery, and a beautiful bell-tower which rises up closes to the apse.
The interior, which has one nave and two aisles, contains the 14th century frescoes and the ruins of some tombs dating from the same period.
" Basilica of San Francesco"
Beautifully situated on a fertile hill brightened up by olive groves and cypress trees, Assisi streches out along the slopes of Mount Subasio in a lovely spot along that part of the Valle Umbra situated between the Tescio, Topino and Chiascio rivers.
Originally an Umbrian settlement, the city developed along with other territories controlled by the Etruscans, under whose influence it prospered.
Under Roman domination ut was known as Assisium.
In occasion of Umbria Jazz Festival 2003, we made a day trip to a nearby Assisi. Our intention was to visit, in the same day, the towns of Assisi, Gubbio and Spoletto. However, the beauty of Assisi have convinced us to stay there entire day and we didn't regret it.
Besides the magnificient churches of San Francesco and Santa Chiara, there are dozen of other churches worth of note.I was in particularly attracted by the beauty of the towns structure, its squares, streets, palaces, but most of all by its stone houses.