San Francesco

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Religious Travel Family Travel
See Amenities

Great Location/Terrible Breakfast

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 2, 2007

Upon our arrival, I was naturally impressed with the exterior of the hotel and, of course, its
location. Being right across from the Basilica, the view was perfect. Unfortunately, that is the only positive thing I can say. The front-desk employees were not friendly, nor helpful.
Our group was there for a 3-night stay which included breakfast. This was the worst
breakfast I've ever had presented. The cakes and rolls were rock-hard stale. The eggs and ham that were in sternos were cold. The cheeses and coldcuts (as we call them) were out so long that the edges were curled up on them. This was not due to the fact that we arrived late
for breakfast. Breakfast was served to our group at 7:00 AM and we arrrived shortly thereafter. This was certainly uncalled for and the hotel should be ashamed that they served something so disgraceful.

Unique Quality: As was indicated above, this hotel has magnificant views, but they can be seen from the
street in front of the hotel overlooking the Basilica.

cmarsek's Profile Photo

True Only Way To Stay In Assisi

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 4, 2006

The Hotel San Francesco is part of an old convent that has been converted into a hotel. When visiting this old Medieval town I don't think there is a better place to stay to really gain a feel of this unique place. I was lucky enough to have a single room which meant it was really quite small. I know, that sounds like a strange this to say regarding being lucky, but the nuns of the middle ages did not have large luxurious rooms. The two and three person rooms in which other members of my group stayed were much larger and resembled your typical hotel.

Another main advantage of this hotel is its location. It is the closest building to the main attraction of the town, the Basilica of Saint Francis. This hotel also has a wonderful garden terrace on the roof that provides a fantastic view of the basilica and surrounding countryside.

Their restaurant also provided wonderful meals and the staff was very friendly.

I was on a group tour of Italy so the price was not applicable for me. All the hotel costs were built into the cost of the tour. Please check their website for any needed information.

Unique Quality: A convent converted into a hotel.
A wonderful garden terrace on the roof providing a fantastic view.
Great location.

Directions: Located immediately in front of the main basilica

Nearby San Francesco

• Room Service
  • Free Parking
  • Pets Allowed

Assisi Travel Forum

Need advice about Assisi, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Assisi and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Assisi hotel reviews