Hotel Gattapone

Trekki's Profile Photo

Hotel Gattapone - central and lovely

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 23, 2009

When I arrived in Gubbio in April 2008, I was a bit exhausted from the road traffic. It was late afternoon (around 7 p.m.) and I only wanted a bed without much searching. I found Piazza Quaranta Martiri, parked the car and set out to look what was nearby. Luckily, Hotel Gattapone was near and also looked nice. Obviously April is not a very popular month for travellers – during the 3 nights I stayed here I was twice the only guest and had many nice and interesting chats with the night porter.
The room was big and faced the lovely terrace (photo 5), but due to the cloudy and cold weather I didn’t sit outside. I especially liked the bathroom; it had heated floor tiles, which came handy after my daily walks in the crisp weather. I also didn’t freeze, the room heating was excellent and I could also use spare thick blankets. TV and minibar are available. No coffee/tea making facility though.
Breakfast was more than the typical Italian croissants – selections of cheese and cold cuts were available, as well as cereals, orange juice and yoghurt. Coffee was freshly made (but “American coffee”).
The hotel has 16 rooms and two suites on 3 floors (elevator available). It is prepared for handicapped (see bathroom photo), but then I tried to imagine how people in wheelchairs would be able to manage the steep town streets which often even have tiny stairs.

Unique Quality: I liked my stay here, because the staff was very friendly and helpful and I got so many interesting tips for sightseeing and background information from “my” night porter. And the whole ambience was cosy as well.
Although the hotel is located in a dead end side street and is quiet, Gubbio’s bells have their rhythm – see local customs section. If you are not used to this, bring earplugs.

I paid 70 Euro per night for my double room with single occupancy (April 2008). But I will not stay there anymore. Not because of the hotel, but because I will stay in Residenza di Via Piccardi (see previous tip) anytime I come back to Gubbio because that’s exactly my kind of place.

Hotel Gattapone on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., February 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission).

Directions: From Piazza 40 Martiri, walk uphill Via della Repubblica and turn left at the first opportunity. It is behind the church.

Nearby Hotel Gattapone

• Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Gubbio Travel Forum

Need advice about Gubbio, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Gubbio and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Gubbio hotel reviews

San Francesco
Historic and elegant location
Truffles galore!
Restaurants
Full of character and good food
Great value for pizza
Flight to Rome
Transportation
Basilica de Sant’Ubaldo, Gubbio's holiest place
Things to Do
Palazzo Ducale: master view and magic art
Authentic Eugubini dishes, no tourists
Restaurants
Good local Umbrian dishes (October 09)
Restaurants
Good local Umbrian dishes (April 08)
Restaurants
Faro Rosso, prime view across the valley
Alla Balestra, excellent dishes, central
Restaurants
Excellent restaurant in an old oil mill
Libreria Pienini – the best bookshop in town
Shopping
Books and DVDs, a must to get the atmosphere
Shopping
How to reach Gubbio
Transportation
Helpful tourist office & iPhone apps :-)
Favorites
Drummers and costumes, typical for festivals
Local Customs
World's biggest Christmas Tree :-)
Truffle fair, October: like a walk in Italy
Things to Do
The best time to visit Gubbio
Gubbio was affected by the 1984 earthquake
Favorites
There is always room for a garden :-)
Madonnas and frescoes everywhere