Residenza di Via Piccardi

Via Piccardi, 12 - 06024 Gubbio (PG)

Good For No Data
  • toonsarah's Profile Photo

A home in Gubbio

I stayed here on the recommendation of Ingrid, and found it just as she had described – a friendly welcome, a beautiful garden, a great location in the heart of Gubbio and great value for money. As the house was full for part of our stay, Ingrid and I each had one of the bedrooms in the apartment a few doors down the street, and I thought mine was really good considering the low price I paid (€30 per night including breakfast). I had a comfortable double bed, a window overlooking the street from where, if I craned my neck just a little, I could see the wonderful Palazzo dei Consoli, and everything I needed for my stay. Each morning we would walk the few steps along the road to the main house, where breakfast was served in the pretty garden (apart from one very chilly morning). This consisted of good strong coffee and the usual Italian packaged croissants, although on one day was enlivened by some nice pastries and on another by yoghurt. Oh, and there were cornflakes too, but I’m not a fan of these. I would have welcomed some fruit or fruit juice, but in this pretty setting any breakfast would be enjoyable, and as long as I have good coffee I am satisfied.

I have to say that if I had been travelling with Chris I would have found my “double” room a little cramped, but I have seen Ingrid’s pictures of the doubles in the main house and they look bigger, so I would have no hesitation in staying here again when I come back to Gubbio. I could perhaps come up with small quibbles – a few more hangers in the wardrobe would be nice, and better light in the bathroom – but these are minor points. Federica has created a lovely homely place where visitors to Gubbio can feel truly welcome, and that is the biggest draw here – that and the lovely garden.

~~ next tip: finding your way around Gubbio

Directions: Via Piccardi leaves Piazza Quaranta Martiri (where buses arrive and some parking is usually available) halfway along the side nearest the old town. The residence is a short distance along on the right. There is a map on the website

• cmcard2's Profile Photo

A feel at home accomodation

The best part about the stay is the hostess Federica Biagotti. She is warm, friendly, and someone you instantly take to. Immaculately clean rooms. This place is a jewel and a great find for anyone that wants to get the feel of historic Gubbio. Located just off the main piazza.

Unique Quality: Coupled with a large outdoor patio and garden. it gives one a chance to inteact with guests. Breakfast is served daily, and always with a presence by the host.

Directions: Just a stone's throw off of Piazza 40 Martini

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Home away from home: Residenza Via Piccardi

Residenza di Via Piccardi has become my “second home” by now and I can only highly recommend the place to anyone who looks for a peaceful and enjoyable stay. Not only is the residenza in the middle of town, only a few metres off Piazza Quaranta Martiri and with view to Palazzo dei Consoli from the garden, Federica Biagotti is also one of the sweetest hosts I ever had in any accommodation. She is always of help with any question, speaks French, English and a bit German and is the good soul and spirit of the house. She is there from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. with a break from noon to 2 p.m. But when she is gone, she switches the phone to her mobile, so one can always reach her, also in the evening. During her noon and evening time she also locks the garden door (which is the access to house and rooms) which makes it a very secure place. But then Gubbio is a very secure town, no one would break into hotel rooms!

The rooms are located in the left and right wing of the house, an old stone house of 14th century, according to a stone with engraved date at the house. It was a trader’s or farmer’s house, given the round arches which are still visible in the basement. Maybe they were a shop or a stable in the past. This is very typical for Gubbio, by the way: these stones tell so many stories about the past life, incredible! My room(s) were located above the little porch (see photo 5, view of the house) and I loved the view into the garden and the little street. Although it was not a single room but had a double bed (queen size), bathroom, big cabinet for the clothes and TV. Bring your own hairdryer although by now I know that Federica has a spare one in case you forgot (and I keep mine in a box here as well). There is no telephone in the room but enough possibilities to make phone calls in Gubbio (phone booths and the post office). But since I don’t need this in the days of mobile phones I didn’t miss it. During my almost 4 weeks in May I stayed in the mini-apartment, with a little kitchen. This was even better since I could cook or make salads. Remember that there is a small market under the arcades at Piazza Quaranta Martiri every day so fresh produces are available daily.

During my extensive stay in May 2010 I met several fellow travellers, among them Ewa and Rafal, a lovely couple from Poland, and David from Utah. They also loved the stay here and I know that they will be back. VTer Dan also stayed here in May 2010 and according to his review, he and his family also loved the place.

Already now while updating this, I am looking forward to next time, May 2012, to be precise. I look forward to park the car at Piazza Quaranta Martiri, grab bags (and my special dress), run across the piazza and stop at the entrance into Via Piccardi to take in this gorgeous view which the makers of HB Bildatlas Mittelitalien kindly chose as their cover photo :-) The Residenza is the one where the little vespa is parked in front of. Do you understand now why this is the only place I could ever stay when I am in Gubbio? (Except when I have my own little apartment with view to my beloved campanone one day).

In total, the residenza has 5 rooms plus one mini-apartment (with kitchen). I have stayed in the single room, the one double room above the porch and in the mini-apartment in the meantime. Once when I was the only one staying here Federica showed me the other rooms above the lobby (see photos). These are of bigger size with an extra bed and much bigger, but then these are the true double rooms. I loved all of them and especially the charming decoration and furniture. These rooms in that old house have truly been renovated to perfection!!

Unique Quality: Unique qualities? I loved my stay here, every single day of it. My time in May was even better. The place is a gem. Breakfast is served in the lobby at lovely decorated little tables and chairs or outside in the garden on sunny days: croisssants, caffè or cappuchino, orange juice but she also serves bread, jam and butter (single packed, because she has only a tiny refrigerator in the lobby). The garden is huge and once you stand at the patio of Palazzo dei Consoli with a view over the town you will realise that gardens are not the norm inside of Gubbio’s town walls, especially for accommodation places. The space below the porch roof makes an excellent place to relax, read or have coffee.

I paid 30 Euro including breakfast which is in my opinion a bargain given the charming place and its sweet owner Federica. In case you want to come during the busy days (mid May, ceri festival, Christmas; New Year, the other festivals or Easter), make sure you email her or give her a call some months before.

Update, November 2010:
    Federica has a new website, I have linked it below. Beautiful!! Much much better than the old one :-) Brava! And in case the oversensitive nut-pickers start to scream because the photos on her website and mine here are identical: this is completely normal and legal. I took them (= I am the owner of the photos) and gave her the right to use them on her website, licence free.

Residenza di Via Piccardi on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., November 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), update March 2012.

continue with next review => How to reach Gubbio

Directions: From Piazza Quaranta Martiri, walk into Via Piccardi which is next to Loggia dei Tiratori (where the little bell is). It is at the next side street. Entrance in Via Piccardi.

Comments