Hotel Orvieto

Satisfaction Poor

More about Hotel Orvieto

Close to Rome Worth the Visit/Orvieto

by painterdave

"Orvieto--history, food, cathedral, and a high view"

Since I paint when in Italy I look for smaller towns, friendly people and great food/wine. When I researched Orvieto I found it to be just about perfect, and one hour by train from Rome which made it a plus. I usually travel by train and the train station is below the town, but there is a tram that takes you up to Orvieto in minutes. From the top it was only a 5 minute walk to my hotel.
Orvieto has some historical sights, including a very deep well dug by the citizens back when they needed to have extra water for seiges, and a beautiful cathedral with a golden front. Be sure and visit this in the afternoon so that the sun will shine on the golden front.
I painted my way around the city walls and then also in the main square. You will find lots of photo opportunities throughout the town. My photos here will show you what you will see beyond the famous sites. If you want to see the cathedral, etc. you can find them easily enough. My photos will help you determine whether you want to visit Orvieto or pass it up for some other hilltop town.
If you are on a budget, this is a place for you. Hotels and food are cheaper than in Rome. It is also much more of a peaceful place, so if you are tired of the crowds and it isn't July, I recommend Orvieto.

"A view from the wall of Orvieto"

As you walk around the walls you will find many beautiful views. This was taken in early April and so the Spring green was just showing.
You can see that Orvieto has small towns around the base of its high hill, and there are many small farms of grapes and olive trees and fruit around it.
At the time that I was there there was still a bit of mist/fog that lingered until late morning. I would imagine that more near the summer this mist would not be there.
One time around the whole of Orvieto would burn off some calories, now you could more enjoy their great cuisine.

"Even The Sweeper Is Interesting"

So here you are walking around looking at things and you hear the sound of a small engine coming your way. Turning the corner a small street sweeper comes to do its job of keeping things clean.
I don't know about where you live, but this is NOT what sweepers look like where I live. So it makes a good photo to take home.
I always try to take lots of these kinds of shots, from the trash men in Paris to the window washers of Rome. It all is interesting to me. Bringing the people who work to make a town function home with me in my camera is interesting.
Be sure and view my other photos included with this page.

Comments