Via Vivaria 7, Orvieto, 05018, Italy
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Orvieto

Gelateria PasqualettiGelateria Pasqualetti

Martini polyptych of Madonna (not my pic)Martini polyptych of Madonna (not my pic)

Overlooking vineyards and olive trees at La RoccaOverlooking vineyards and olive trees at La Rocca

..in any light..in any light

Travel Tips for Orvieto

Famous local wood carver Michel Angeli

by Trekki

When I entered my room in Locanda Rosati, I noticed the beautiful wood carvings immediately. Not only was there a dormouse at the bed frame matching the one at my key fob but also the desk had carvings with little apples and the bathroom mirror was carved with fantasy decoration. Later, in Locanda Rosati’s dining area, I saw the donkeys over the door to the wine cellar and several more little objects. All were made in a way which creates a three-dimensional effect. I asked Giampiero, the Locanda’s owner, about the wood carvings and was pleased to learn that he was a famous Orvieto artist. The Michelangeli family has a tradition in making furniture which dates back to 18th century. And Gualviero, the artist, has started to create this three-dimensional effect to some objects. Sadly he passed away, but the tradition is being continued by his daughters Donatella, Raffaela and Simonetta. Their shop is located in a little street off Corso Carvour, which is named after the artist: Via Michelangeli (for exact location, see screenshot, “photo” 4). I didn’t buy anything because I was already near my luggage limit, but next time I’ll get some souvenirs or maybe a table, haha. Oh, the table, by the way: there is a similar one on their website, with carved decoration like the one in my room.

Todi

by janchan

An incredibly beautiful square in this town of Umbria, Piazza del Popolo, with many medieval buildings (XIII cent.):

Palazzo dei Priori
Palazzo del Popolo
Palazzo del Capitano
...and the Cathedral

The Duomo Facade Sculpture

by leffe3

The 14th century sculpture lining the lower wall of the main facade of the Duomo is quite extraordinary. The lower half is now covered by clear perspex to protect it from tourists, vandals and the devotional, but this doesn't stop you appreciating the sheer magnitude of the work. This is the Old and New Testament stories bought to live in all their gruesome and gory details - stories of famine, plague, destitution, godlessness, murder etc are all presented in stunning three dimensional sculptural detail.

The work is by the Sienese, Lorenzo Maitani and his pupils, with Maitani also guiding the building of the Duomo at its most crucial time in the 14th century.

Church of San Francesco

by iandsmith

Consecrated by Pope Clement IV in 1266, this church has faded frescoes dating back to the 14th century.
There are also two statues of Pope Boniface VIII dating to 1297. The city had these done in gratitude for what his holiness had done for the city.
In the nave you can find canvasses by Cesare Nebbia, Filippo Naldini and Hendrick Van den Broek.

Sipping vino blanco in Orvieto...

by sunlovey

"The first leg of our wine-induced road trip"

THIS is Orvieto in all her hill top splendor. I mean it. Cozy little places like this give me goose bumps. As we approached I simply could NOT wait to explore this charming little wine town. We arrived in Orvieto from Roma on a beautiful summer day. The view of Orvieto from the high way was breathtaking. I was totally enchanted.

Oh and I just adore hydrangeas. As we approached the town we came upon so many of them!

And there we are, doing what we seem to love best, EATING in other countries. Of course we enjoyed a crisp bottle of Orvieto Classico with this al fresco meal too.

Comments