4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Hotel Villa di Monte Solare

Wonderful honeymoon at Monte Solare

by TripAdvisor Member sally_simon71

We have spent three wonderful days of our honeymoon at this beautiful hotel.
We were treated like a kind and a queen.
Everything about this place is magnificent, the service, the rooms, the spa, the food and the wine.
We will back at Villa di Monte Solare very soon.

First visit - but not the last

by TripAdvisor Member lennyman

Our first visit in June was 11 days of pure enjoyment. Filippo and Rosie are perfect hosts, the atmosphere is totally relaxing, the service is impeccable, the food and wine are wonderful and the views are stunning.
Imagine waking up to the sound of birds singing; having breakfast or lunch on the terrace with the sound of bees humming; no piped music; no discos, just peace and quiet.
The wine list is very extensive so we relied on Filippo’s expert knowledge and each night he recommended a wine that matched the food perfectly and, contrary to what you might expect, he did not choose the dearest just to boost his profits. In fact we were pleasantly surprised at the sensible prices.
Will we go again?
Too true, in fact we are already planning next year’s holiday.

Far From the Madding Crowd

by TripAdvisor Member Keerside

Villa Monte Solare is a haven of peace and serenity at the end of a long track leading high into the green hills of Umbria. The sun seems to breathe from the building itself, reaching out to embrace each and every one of its guests. Nothing is too much for both management and staff whose aim is to ensure the comfort and well being of all.

Go out as we did, and soak up the culture in bustling towns and sleepy villages and marvel at the art from the hands of Giotto, Perugino, Piero della Francesca, Lorenzetti, Martini, not to forget the amazing works of Alberto Burri.

Or simply saunter, swim, relax and enjoy.

Peace on earth

by TripAdvisor Member tansyross

This was our 16th (!!) visit our first being in 1990 when Filippo and Rosi had just opened an 11 bedroom Agroturismo hotel with Rosi cooking typical Umbrian meals and Filippo rang the bell at 7-30 prompt and you had to dash into the dining room to make sure you got one of the best tables ! We loved it then and we love it just as much now they have transformed the hotel into one of the most desirable Country House hotels in Italy.
Reviewers have used the word 'tranquil' which is correct - the absence of any man made noises (except the odd aeroplane) is quite remarkable and yet the lovely towns of Umbria are all easily accessible including Panicale, Perugia, Assisi , Cortona and others.(Cortona is in Tuscany but never mind)
We went with 2 friends who had stayed there last year and like us, they are planning their next visit.
The staff are all delightful and there is every modern facility available including the net but all one wants to do is relax and soak in the Italian atmospere.
You need a car but the hotel can arrange to collect you from Rome, Pisa or Perugia airports to save you a tiring transfer and through Avis they can book a c ar of your choice.
Any info you want is on their excellent web-site.

Absolutely wonderful 4 night stay....

by TripAdvisor Member cmb2

All the favorable things mentioned in prior reviews are true, so I won't repeat them. Upon check-in, the clerk said they'd taken the liberty of upgrading our deluxe room with a view to a suite with a view for the same price, and did we mind that? Of course not! Rosi & Filippo are also the perfect hosts, and their Cena del Giornio with featured wines is not to be missed if you happen to be there on a night they have it. Each course was served elegantly, delighting the taste buds, and Filippo did an excellent presentation of each wine when a new course was served. We didn't ask the price for this feast, but when the bill came, we were shocked that it was SO LOW compared to what we would've paid in the U.S. or elsewhere for a comparable dinner. When weather permitted, we had breakfasts just outside our suite in a common outdoor terrace for those not staying in the main building, otherwise it was moved indoors in the small dining room just below our suite. We planned to spend 1 day just on the grounds to enjoy the Umbrian country scene and Le Muse for a spa manicure/pedicure, and it , too, was perfect. Cristofaro (sp?), the spa manager, is a delightful conversationalist and made sure everything was right. When passing thru this part of Italy again, we will make it a point to stay here because it is in such a beautiful setting and central to many wonderful sights in Umbria. Also very easy to find if you have written directions.

Check your Demographic!

by TripAdvisor Member TravelNeil

I have to say, I read all of the reviews for Monde Solare, and was very excited to stay. I had my assistant call months ahead and book "the best room with the best view", which was assured to us. Now mind, we are two men in our early 30s, travelling by car through northern Italy. When we arrived, they sent us to the Limonare building. Bottom floor two twin beds put together as one, no view, fake flowers in a vase, cobwebs. Now what I was expecting at Euro 185/night. Breakfast was average, dinner was fine, but EXPENSIVE! 80 Euro for two, for the prix fixe, which was essentially a medallion of beef. And they charged extra for everything from the internet to tennis rackets to extra towels by the pool! It felt corporate, and it's not. But overall, this place is for very old british couples. Aside from us, no one was under 70. So if that's your vibe, by all means go - the grounds are beautiful. But as Perugia is a good half hour away, I'd definately stay elsewhere. This is such amazing countryside, it desreves to be truly lived in. And not with plastic cups in the bathroom covered in wrappers. That's for Super 8...

Too stuffy and formal

by TripAdvisor Member Amanda74

I have to agree with the previous review about the demographic of the hotel and unfortunately we did not see this review before staying. The hotel as many other guests have expressed is in a lovely location with 2 lovely swimming pools with stunning views and beautiful grounds, however the atmosphere around the hotel and in the restaurant was very formal and stuffy. We are by no means a party loving 30 something couple however we do like places with a bit of atmosphere where we can enjoy a relaxing holiday and the villa did not provide this. The dining room was very dark and you could almost hear a pin drop so we avoided the evening meals there - unfortunately the hotel is a bit isolated which means you have to drive to get anywhere else for dinner.

This is a lovely place and we could not fault the facilities and cleanliness of the hotel but please make sure it is what you are looking for.

Unbelievable!!!

by TripAdvisor Member TexasLonghorn6

This place is an absolute gem!!! It's out of the way, you definitely need a car and some good directions to find it. It's a lovely hilltop property outside of Perugia. The grounds are immaculate, our room was luxurious and huge. The bathroom was incredible. The grounds themselves are worth exploring, including 2 pools, a vineyard, spectacular setting. In addition to breakfast (which was adequate), we had dinner there as well (the nearest town is a little dinky and I doubt there were many restaurant choices). Am I glad we did!!! We had an amazing prix fix meal with some great wine for an unheard of cheap price!!! I'd definitely recommend taking advantage of the restaurant there. We stayed in one of the rooms in the Lemon Tree section (which is newer) and we had a nice patio and view. Again, I highly recommend seeking out this property (skip Perugia, though....waste of time).

Very nice yes, but not perfect….. then what is!

First thing to say is that we would definitely stay here again.

This was our first visit to the Monte Solare, chosen on the basis of guidebooks and Trip Advisor. We stayed here for a week mid June 2007. We had a room in the Limonaia. Overall were not disappointed.

The location, room, food and wine were very good as commented on by previous reviews.

On arrival we were warmly greeted and offered a complimentary drink outside whilst our luggage was taken to our room. The room itself was nicely furnished and clean. Yes, two singles pushed together but very comfortable. Facilities included hair dryer, safe, bathrobes, and steam cleaner (which we could not get to work properly) although “for safety reasons” you were not allowed to use an iron in the room but were offered an ironing service at half the price of a cleaning service! Consumables were changed promptly and as often as necessary – for me always a good sign, I hate to have to manage with one small tablet of soap/bottle of shower gel for the week.

There were a few surprises during our stay: - the distant power station and the fact that the half board menu offered no choice (although to be fair, on two occasions when we did not like the main course we were able to advise staff after breakfast and we were offered alternatives).

A couple of other comments on the food. On one occasion, the weather threatened rain and so we ate in the restaurant. It does have a slightly claustrophobic feel with the high and small windows. There were two restaurants in the villa (one also used to serve breakfast, and which offered piped music). Every other night we ate outside in the gravel courtyard. It was worth getting there earlyish to get a table away from the lime trees which were shedding leaves/seed on to tables and plates. On one night we also had some problems with irritating flies – but that’s what you get when you eat outside anywhere.

I would say fellow guests were a mix of European nations (not all decrepit Brits) and ranging from 20s through to 60s. The atmosphere was relaxing and subdued.

During the week we were able to attend the classical guitar concert that was excellent and one night enjoy a selection of wines, one for each of the 5 courses on offer. There was no guided walk when we were there but a 20-minute stroll beyond the car park takes you to the top of a hill with great views overlooking Lake Trasimeno.

I agree with the earlier comment on Perugia (if you do go don’t spend ages looking for the car park mentioned in the DK Umbria guide – we never found it, there were lots of signs to the parking Europa which we eventually used and was good). Montepulciano and Pienza together with the Val d’orcia were certainly worth the visit.

One final point, we was highlighted at the hotel we subsequently stayed at (Villa Poggiale at San Casciano), given the spread of rooms at the Monte Solare there was no obvious place to sit after dinner and enjoy a conversation with other guests (there are public rooms in the villa, but not staying in the main building we were not aware of this at first).

Another final point. I read somewhere that jackets were required for dinner. Not true. You are advised that “Dress for dinner is smart but not formal.. We request that guest dress appropriately and elegantly for dinner…. Gentlemen are to avoid shorts and sandals”.

And, really finally as I said at the outset, we would definitely stay here again.

Landscape over the roovesLandscape over the rooves

Driving Trip in Italy

by honeymooners04

We are looking to take a driving trip starting in Venice and ending in Rome a week later. We are going to spend a few days in Venice and Rome, so we are looking for something "off the beaten path." We would like to stay in a 3 or more star hotel or a B&B or some small local place. Any suggestions?

by sierralyndon

You should try driving through Umbria or Tuscany if you are into country scenery, quiet and good food. For accommodation, there are many websites dedicated to bed and breakfast places / farm stays called "agriturismo" (agristurismi - plural). They are operational farms that also host guests (usually converting old structures into charming apartments or rooms). Check out my Umbria pages for some photos and suggestions of places to visit.

by effeti

See this place, too..

Ciao

Francesco

by DJStarr

Hi,
I went from Venice all over Village Italy in a large loop, 1 week by myself, 2 with a Rick Steves Village Italy tour. We stayed at several great spots, you might wish to check out my Italy Travel Album/Sketchbook at:

I loved Urbino, and the Villa di Monte Solare near Perugia was wonderful! Also, Padua is so interesting, and lots of great walks (only 1/2 hr. west of Venice on the train, too.)

Have fun!
Ciao,
DJ Starr, Boulder, CO USA

by ninetta

Venice is a real mess!!!!!
Expensive and crowded.
I suggest B&B Accademia: www.bbaccademia.com

Anyone know of any hidden jems?

by Sherahis

I will be traveling by train from Venice to Rome. Stopping along the way at the big tourist sites. I would also like to see some small cultural towns on the train route. If you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate the ideas and advice.

by just4funds

None along that route, but if you go to Florence, walk past Ponte Vecchio and continue on to the Palazzo Pitti and the Boboli Gardens. Things are less crowded once you cross the river, and this area is pretty spectacular with the view from the top of the hillside that the gardens are built on being hard to beat. Good Luck!

by Maurizioago

Verona or Trieste.

Write to me for further infos if you like.

by DJStarr

Hi,

Have fun!
Ciao,
DJ Starr, Boulder, CO USA

Re: Re: Anyone know of any hidden jems?

by Maurizioago

I agree with D star; Padua is a beautiful town.

by Manara

On the train route Venice-Bologna-Florence-Rome there are at least three other gems: one is Padua, already mentiond in the other postings, the others are Cortona and Orvieto. Cortona is a charming medieval town (see the website www.cortonaweb.net) and Orvieto has a fabulous cathedral.

Re: Re: Anyone know of any hidden jems?

by Sherahis

Thanks, this sounds great! just what I was looking for.
Everyone had some great ideas.

Comments