Il Barco Spello

Booking.com eDreams

More about Spello

Santa VeronicaSanta Veronica

View of Assisi from Spello's BelvedereView of Assisi from Spello's Belvedere

Dispute with the Doctors, by PinturicchioDispute with the Doctors, by Pinturicchio

Doorway in SpelloDoorway in Spello

Travel Tips for Spello

Santa Veronica: patron saint of photographers

by toonsarah

This little shrine is one for all us VT-ers who travel with a camera fixed almost constantly at our eye! When I saw the inscription that said that Veronica was the patron saint of photographers I was a little surprised as I had never heard this before and was puzzled as to how a saint could have become associated with a relatively recent and technological invention. I resolved to do some research on my return, but before I could do so I found myself watching a TV quiz show in which the name of Saint Veronica came up, and immediately the penny dropped. Veronica was of course the pious woman of Jerusalem who was moved with pity as Jesus passed by carrying his cross to Golgotha. She used her veil to wipe his brow and the image of his face was miraculously imprinted on it, just as a photograph might be. Maybe that could even be seen as the very first photograph, taken not by a person but by God? It certainly explains how Veronica came to be associated with the art of photography.

My favorite place in Italy!

by poortrekkers

"Quiet Cobblestone Streets"

Talk about a little known gem! This is my ideal of visiting Italy. Very few tourist clogged the streets. A maze of alleyways to get lost in and make discoveries around every new corner. And the flowers...

Comments