Viale G. Matteotti 10, 06049 Spoleto, Italy

Apse of Spoleto DuomoApse of Spoleto Duomo

Tower Bridge in SpoletoTower Bridge in Spoleto

Spoleto in May

by AlbertusMagnus

We will be driving from Rome to Spoleto on May 11th. I would like some information as to restaurants, theatrical venues (if any at that time) and a general lay of the land. We are active in our mid 60's. I am first generation Italian American from Val di Camino de San Donato in Lazio. I speak Italian pretty well.
Mille grazie,
Alberto

Re: Spoleto in May

by bekerovka

Hy,
take a look here: http://www.prospoleto.it/. Sorry, it's in italian only, I hope it isn't a problem for you.
Ciao, Marco

Re: Spoleto in May

by mccalpin

I am struggling with this because I THINK we went to Spoleto for a few hours a few years ago, but...well, the Cathedral of S. Maria Assunta looks like the church we went into and the large bridge spanning the valley nearby look right ;-) Hard to believe isn't it, but I have memories of places and I'm just not always sure where I was...

Anyway, of any really helpful information, I have little. I don't recall seeing any municipal parking lots as I drove in, and www.viamichelin.com doesn't show any, either. As you know, in some Italian hilltowns, they place municipal lots just outside the city (like Assisi), because they limit vehicular traffic inside the city itself. But I didn't see anything like that in Spoleto - although I didn't circumnavigate the city either. Instead, I drove in to the center as far as I could until I saw that (1) there were no more parking space anywhere, and (2) I was having trouble even moving the Daewooo station wagon through the maze of very small streets and parked cars. I ended up throwing everyone out of the car and parallel parked practically kissing a long wall with my right side (i.e., if I hadn't thrown everyone out, they wouldn't have been able to get out). But at least the parking was free...

We walked around a bit, found one restaurant that was open (this was something like 3 or 3:30 in the afternoon and most places had closed), had lunch, walked down to the Duomo and then over to the bridge, then found the car again and headed to Rome (we were coming from either Assisi or Chiusi). As for the festival, I had no idea that the festival even existed until I returned, and don't know where there is enough open space to do a festival except in front of the Duomo, although, again, we didn't see the whole town or even do any organized survey.

In any case, what this may tell you is that if you don't find any information on municipal parking lots, it may be because there aren't any...Spoleto reminded me of a lot of smaller Italian towns before modern traffic measures had been implemented...small streets and spaces, cars everywhere, traffic moving very slowly (not from density, but from the small streets and spaces)...maybe someday they'll do what other towns have done and work on it, but it's kind of charming the way it is...or maybe because that was the Italy I lived in for a while ;-)

Bill

Travel Tips for Spoleto

Stroll the street

by tomorino

La passeggiata, an italian term that means walk and enjoying it, wander the street, rambling the medieval layer of the street, roaming through the Arco, strolling the street day and night, is an essential rule of travel.

Comments