Viale Mediterraneo 9, Chioggia, Italy, 30019, Ital

Fishing boatsFishing boats

Chioggia Vaporetto StationChioggia Vaporetto Station

Can I visit Chioggia?

by Thunderdarts

Hi folks - i'm looking for somewhere beautiful to stay a night in - close to Venice, and Chioggia looks great.

Is this a good place to stay to see a little of 'real' Italy before taking a peek at beautiful but touristy Venice? We are keen on staying in a hostel or camping. Or are there other beautiful towns nearby that We should consider?

We will be in rental car so distance isn't really a problem.

Please help!

RE: Can I visit Chioggia?

by vtveen

HI

Chioggia is real a nice town to stay for visiting Venice. Most of the hotels are in the 'new'part of town, along the beach. But the old part (more or less little Venice) is very attractive to stroll around along the canals and the (fish) market,
Consider visiting Venice from Chioggia by boat/ferry. Take a day card, which includes also all your travelling in Venice. A great day trip.

have fun
Jaap

Hi Jaap!

Many thanks for your help - we will be arriving in Venice (or Chioggia!) on the evening of 2nd September, staying overnight and just taking a really brief peek at Venice the next day, before setting out for (Piran) Slovenia the next evening. Ideally I'd like to be on the road for around 5pm

I realise this is leaving ourselves tight for time, but do you think we could manage to have a quick evening and morning visit to Venice and still be able to get on the road the next evening for Slovenia?

Biting off more than I can chew...!

by Thunderdarts

Sorry Jaap - I should have added that I'm keen to stay in Chioggia for perhaps cheaper accomodation, and hopefully to be able to park the rental car safely!

We will be really interested in a cheap hostel or camping too - do you have anywhere you can recommend?

Thanks again, Jaap!

by vtveen

Hi
I wouldn't recommend to stay in Chioggia, if you do have only less than a day to visit Venezia. Travelling from Chioggia will take too much time.
Try to stay in Mestre, which is very close to Venezia. You will be able to visit Venezia on your first night (I think by train) and also the next day.
Perhaps you can leave your car at your hotel or camping.
(for hotels for instance: www.bookings.nl also in English and for Mestre and Venezia www.comune.venezia.it and off course on VT with lots of tips in the travel guides)
Leaving for Slovenia you are on the highway.
Hope you will find something appropriate.
Jaap

by Thunderdarts

Jaap - you are a true gentleman!

Thank you very much for your help - Mestre it is in regard to our time.

Again, thank you very much for your valuable advice.

Cheers!

Travel Tips for Chioggia

Crabs

by oriettaIT

A local food specialties is called "Moeche". It consists in a small crab that use to change its shell twice a year. And right in this moment, when the crab have lost its old shell and not yet produced its new one it become a tasty and delicious meal.
Before you enter in Chioggia, coming from the "Statake Adriatica" road you see on the left lines of poles holding the boxes they use to grow this crab.

Sport activities in Sottomarina Lido

by oriettaIT

During the whole year there are many sport activities you can practice in Sottomarina Lido. When the Bora wind blow from the sea hundreds of windsurfers and parasailings ride the sea.
During summertime Sottomarina is a big beach resort. The sandy beach is wide and famous for its sand very fine.

Piccola Venezia

by croisbeauty

"Almost look alike to Venice"

I spend lovely weekend in Venice again and have decided to visit Chioggia in order to check wheter it looks alike to Venice itself. To me it is a kind of mix between Venice and Burano, not so classy as Venice is and not so pitoresque as it is Burano.
Anyway, Chioggia is nice place to visit for a half day trip, situated about 50 km southwest of Venice. It is kind of off the beaten place and you need car to go there, taking direction of Marghera and than by famous Romana to Ravenna.

Chioggia

by sandysmith

Chioggia is a busy fishing port at the southern tip of the Venetian lagoon - we made the one and a half hour
trip here one overcast, drizzly morning duing our week long vacation in Venice, September 2005.

Comments