Hotel Meuble Royal

Hotel Meuble Royal
Booking.com Venere.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Cortina d'Ampezzo

mixed spinaci and wild vegetablesmixed spinaci and wild vegetables

Church at Cortina d'Ampezzo, ItalyChurch at Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy

Machine Gun position at Lagazuoi summitMachine Gun position at Lagazuoi summit

Landing groundLanding ground

Travel Tips for Cortina d'Ampezzo

Cortina

by sandysmith

Cortina has a picturesque square, dominated by the white church spire and flanked by two massive mountain ridges: to the east lies Cristallo (9,613 feet) and Faloria (7,690 feet); to the west, Tofana (9,317 feet) and Pocol and Socrepes (7,487 feet) areas.

Passo Falzarego, 2117 mt.

by croisbeauty

This is restaurant and motel at Passo Falzarego, the last one in the area before entering to Alta Badia. Here you can worm you up or have excellent mountain dish.
From the terrace of the restaurant you can observe dramatic cable car, the Funivia Faloria, which takes visitors to 2.800 meters high peak. This is your last chance to think twice, weather stay in the secure and relaxed atmosphere of the restaurant or going up with that fragile look gondola.

Tai Di Cadore

by Lindsey322

"My Italian Roots are in this Little Town"

My great grandparents, dePolo, left to find work nearly 100 years ago. I was the first dePolo to return to this tiny town, a chance encounter on a Univserity study abroad trip. They say my grandfather loved the Alps, and now so do I. They said he always wanted to return, but never did, but I was happy to go for him. I felt so at peace in this tiny town. It was like a magical little town covered in feet of snow. The people were friendly. I managed to meet a boy who took English in school and we managed to spurt out a few words to one another, he was able to tell me what the plaque on the church bearing my family name meant. I was nearly brought to tears when I happened to stumble upon the house they lived in. Only one picture exists within our family, and I only glanced at it once. However it was like as I walked up the hill someone stopped me and pointed me to it. I knew in my heart it was the house so I took lots of pictures and upon comparison with the old pictures, I found it to be the same house. The key was that it was now apartments and I found the apartment numbers on the house. How amazing. I plan to return to the town shortly.

"Where is Tai? How do I find it?"

As my mother later told me, "If someone were to tell me that you were going to fly around the world, venture into the Alps, and find that little house I had no doubt you would do it."

It was my professor who encouraged me to go. I tried to go to a travel agency in Venice but the language was an issue. When I got back to our hotel, my professor heard of my troubles and went with me the same night and got me bus tickets. I happened to make a good friend, Kate, on the trip who said she would go with me.

Our day started at 6am as we walked to the train station. I'm still not sure if that before-dawn adventure was magical or scarey. It felt like we were the only people in the entire town of Venice. We got to the train station and took a beautiful ride to Cortina as the sun came up. We got on the bus and had some woman get furious with us... though we had no idea what we did wrong or what she was saying. Oh well.

And from there, it's history... that's how I found Tai. It was really a wondeful time for me. I'm pale as a ghost with blue eyes and light brown hair because I'm also half Irish. No one believes I am half Italian too. It was a nice self-assuring trip to realize that my family at one point in time belonged to this little town. I only wish I spoke the language more.

"dePolo"