Sun, Shopping, Wining & Dining
is a sunburn at premium prices
A lot of archaelogical remains point to the fact that Jesolum was once a very important Roman site and, between the fall of the Roman Empire and the birth of Venice, it became a flourishing harbour.
The ancient medieval name for Jesolo was Equilium. It seems that the archetypical name comes from the main occupation of these people, well known around the Mediterranean dam: the stud-farm.
Around the year 806, Equilium was completely destroyed by hand of the Franks. However, despite the defeat and the desolation, the city became one of the most important commercial and maritime centres of the lagoon in a very short period of time.
After some centuries, the city radically changed just as the Republic of Venice started the draining of the swamp land to avoid the interment of the surrounding territories. During the famous WWI battles, the romanic cathedral of the city was completely destroyed and today we can only have a look at some of its fragments at the museum.
Between 1920 and 1930 a "great draining" operation constituted an advantage for the cultivations of grain, fruit trees and vineyards. Despite the problems and the poverty brought by the First World War, Jesolo successfully started anew after the peace and today it is the summer resort that the international tourism knows well.