Via N Tommaseo 61, Padua, Veneto, 35131, Italy

Booking.com Venere.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• suvanki's Profile Photo

4* Hotel 10-15 minutes walk from train station

I booked this through Booking.com. I was hoping to book the M14, where I'd stayed previously, but as a certain Mr Springsteen was in town, accommodation was at a premium!
    As Booking.com requires no money up front and with cancellation up to 48 hours prior to arrival, I kept an eye open for any bargains that might appear nearer to our departure, but in the end we decided to go with this place.

The NH Mantagne is a modern hotel, located about 10 minutes walk from the train/bus station. As we arrived late evening, we jumped into a cab, rather than walk.

Check in was done with no problem and we were soon checking into our room with a view (nearby buildings)

Fairly spacious with double bed, bedside tables with lamps, storeage space, desk, comfy chair, TV, 'Phone, mini bar, A/C, WiFi
    Bathroom - Over bath shower, WC, bidet, wash basin. hairdryer, shaving point, towels, loo roll and complimentary soap. shower gel, shampoo etc. Also a telephone!

As it is about 20 minutes walk to the centre of Padova, we were pleased to find a pizzeria/take away ( Green Pizza) was open just across from the hotel, so we ate here our first night. We then headed back to the hotel bar for a night cap.
    The residents appeared to be a mix of business men/women, tour groups and visitors from near and far, including a smattering of Springsteen fans.
    The regular bar man was a bit surly and off hand at times, giving the impression that he felt he should be doing a better job!

Breakfast next morning (included in our booking) was a typical buffet mix of Continental/ cooked breakfast with a machine for hot drinks and a toaster. Some mornings people had to wait for a vacant table or for cutlery/crockery.
    Located on the 12th floor, the restaurant has an outside terrace for admiring the views or watching the locals driving/cycling along the main road - we witnessed a motor cyclist skidding along the road one evening as well as a few cars bumping into each other on other evenings/mornings.

We set off to walk into the centre via the train station/tourist info. On our last day, we found a short cut (and some cheap student bars/cafes etc)

Although We're used to walking, we found that the hotel was just a bit too far from the centre. We had to carefully plan our day/evening, so that we weren't 'tooing and fro' ing' too much.

We had arrived in Padova from Treviso Airport by bus,which stopped in the bus station - For our return journey we found that the airport bus stop was a few metres (across the road) from our hotel. Tickets were purchased from the news kiosk near the hotel, then validated on the bus.

I don't know if I would stay here again - nothing wrong with the hotel itself, but I'd prefer to stay nearer the old centre in a B&B - somewhere with a bit of character, and a bit cheaper.

A good hotel for business travellers, or people who wish to be 'near the train station' for trips to Venice etc.

Unique Quality: From the rooftop restaurant, there are stunning panoramic views over Padova and beyond.

Directions: Next to the Fiera Convention Centre

MAP

More about Padova

Spaghetti allo scoglioSpaghetti allo scoglio

View to the Modern Business Centre, Ponte MolinoView to the Modern Business Centre, Ponte Molino

PaduaPadua

Part of the Canal and StatuesPart of the Canal and Statues

hotel and restaurants in padova

by stignani

We will be in northern Italy for a week in February and are considering making Padova our home base. Searching for moderately priced hotels and restaurants.

Many thanks,
Bill

by oriettaIT

You should tell us what is for you moderately priced to help us help you on the hotel choice :-)... I live in Padova so I never used it personally but I know a really basic and cheap hotel that some friends used before. It is called Casa a colori http://www.casaacolori.org/ it is formally a hostel but my infos are that it is quite nice. They have double rooms with private bathroom. It is not in the historical center but they are about 15/20 minutes bus ride to the center.
About restaurant you can start taking a look to my Padova page here http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/bdaa0/23d9b/ I have some in the center and some at a short distance but that need a car to go. Will you have a car or will you depend on public transportation?

by stignani

Thank you. The price range for hotel would be 90 - 110 euros. We will not have a car and will arrive from Milan by train. In addition to visiting Padova we will make day trips to Verona and Venezia by train. Thanks for your assitance.
Bill

by oriettaIT

Very close to the train station there is a awesome bed and breakfast called Gioia, http://www.bbgioia.com/en/. Again I have not stayed here but a fellow Vters, Ian from Australia (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/3caf0/) did when he visited Padova and my partner and I went there to visit. It is located right behind the train station making it very convenient if you are using train.
The house have been completely renovated and have a modern stylish look, they offer a lot for 90 euros. I believe breakfast is also included, but check their own site to see the details.
I have to say that, even if the location is perfect to access the train station and to walk all around the center(Padova is a small town) the area is not the best in Padova like almost all over Italy near train station. But for istance i park around there quite often and never had a problem.

Travel Tips for Padova

Toasting Luxardo!

by painterdave

If you notice advertisements in magazines, especially in magazines that discuss recipes and food making, you will know that Luxardo spends a lot of money to promote their liquors all over the world.
Recently, 2010, they even received television coverage for their liquors being used at a White House cocktail party, and Luxardo recieved a letter from President Obama thanking them for their fine appertifs, etc.
The Luxuardo production of liquors is made just outside of Padova and you can visit a tasting room where you can taste the many types of liquors they make. When you are there you will see that they make many different kinds and they even have a wine production.
Do not be afraid to ask to try lots of kinds, and you don't have to drink each one, they will just pour the small amount out of the glass.
I also want to suggest that you could make this a special outing as the Luxardo factory is located at the bottom of the hills south of Padova. In these hills are many trattorias and wineries. Besides the drive into the hills is very beautiful and you have views of the villages below. It is really a wonderful part of the Veneto region, set aside for a kind of wilderness by the Veneto law.
I will suggest that you see my pages on some restaurants and one really good winery. Take a look. You will find the people in this area to be friendly and helpful.
The hills are so full of green, even in the winter. The best time is April when the cherry blossoms are out.
Many restaurants sit on the edge of the hills and have a great view.
They are located at:
Via Romana 42
Torreglia 35038
Telefono: 049 99 090
Hours: 9-12:30 3:00-7:00 Closed Sundays
Torreglia can be found by driving past Abano Terme and following signs to Torreglia

City Layout

by physiar

Pick up a map from the tourist office and plan your attack. The train station marks the city's northernmost point, and the Prato delle Valle and Basilica di Sant'Antonio mark the southernmost. The following sites of interest can be organized into three clusters and are all within walking distance of one other: the Cappella degli Scrovegni (also called the Arena Chapel) and the adjacent Museo Civico are across a small piazza from the Eremitani Church; the Caffè Pedrocchi can be found near the Palazzo della Ragione in the Piazza Cavour area (the Piazza della Frutta sits to the north and Piazza delle Erbe just to the south of the palazzo, with the Piazza degli Signori bringing up the west); and the Basilica di Sant'Antonio caps the southern end of town with the enormous Piazza Prato delle Valle just beyond.

Would you like a bag.....?

by mapakettle

Every purchase made in Italy generally requires a bag to carry it in, but be warned, most stores such as hardware stores, grocery stores, discount chains require you to pay approx. .05 euro per bag. So, expect a request from the clerk just as he/she starts to put your purchases through the til, the request asking if you need bags.

The bags are normally located just at the front of the til, underneath the conveyor belt. Pick up what you need, and be prepared to hand them over to the clerk when you are asked. Saves time and any hesitation if you don't speak Italian. If you wave the bags and the clerk has just commented on the weather, big deal, at least you broke the ice.

The whole point of visiting a foreign country is for the experiences. Enjoy your every little mistake. That makes for fine story telling back home.

As an odd contrast, very often purchases are beautifully wrapped for you by the store clerk, with ribbons and bows, and placed in wonderful little bags. We have even had cheap purchases from the dollar store (under a euro) wrapped.

Don't take pictures inside a Post Office in Italy

by mapakettle

A short while ago, I attempted to pick up a parcel from the main Post Office in Padova. In order to be served efficiently, you are expected to depress the appropriate button on the machine shown in the accompanying photo. However, you have five buttons to choose from, each button for a different function of the Post Office, including banking.

I messed up (twice), and finally decided to take a photo of this machine for future reference and correct translation purposes.

Well, I learned the hard way. I had an angry postal worker to answer to, plus a couple of the boys in blue who wanted an explanation of my actions. Apparently terrorism is a concern, but primarily to foil would be bank robbers 'casing the joint'.

I was forced to erase my photo, but found upon my return home, that I had actually taken two pictures. This one survived, although it is a tad blurry.

palazzo jacur

by call_me_rhia

I bumped into this building, Palazzo Romanin Jacur, by chance - and immediately liked its gothic architecture. It's in via S. Francesco 9. I could not find much information except from the fact that in 1800's it was an important place of culture and that two literary magazines were published here. When I was there, all I cared for were the ornated windows: more interesting then its history

Comments