Hotel Bastia

Hotel Bastia Ristorante il Gambero
Expedia.com Venere.com Hotels.com

More about Valeggio sul Mincio

View of the bride from Scaligeri CastleView of the bride from Scaligeri Castle

A peek in the wall on the bridgeA peek in the wall on the bridge

The Mincio River Runs Below the BridgeThe Mincio River Runs Below the Bridge

A Bridge over 600 Years OldA Bridge over 600 Years Old

Travel Tips for Valeggio sul Mincio

Food, gardens and surroundings

by matcrazy1

Valeggio sul Mincio is charming little town, not very touristy (= not very expensive :-) but quite interesting for real travelers at least for a few reasons:

1. Sigurta Gardens

2. the Scaligeri Castle on the top of a hill (views!)

3. St. Peter's Church

4. lovely, small old town with many charming, hidden corners, yards and streets

5. food in very good restaurants

6. surroundings (Lake Garda, Verona, Mantova, the Alps).

Well, single most important and the best for me activity: point 5, site: point 1 and surely surroundings (point 6). Surely folks I was lucky to meet, talk to and enjoy during the first official European VT-meeting.

Valeggio

by sandysmith

Valeggio is beautifully situated between the Lombardy and Veneto regions of northern Italy. It is south of Lake Garda and overlooks the Po Valley - a truly green part of Italy and such a great off the beat path place to explore inbetween the VT meals that we enjoyed. Its not a place I had heard of before but I could definitely return to this area nad explore more.
A good overview of the town can be seen from the castle viewpoint.

Castello Scaligero

by croisbeauty

The medieval Castello Scaligero is situated on the top of the hill which dominates the place and the valley of the river Mincio. In the central position, of partly preserved castle, stands Torre Tonde,the tower built in the 12th century, while the rest of the castle dates from the 14th century. There were three bridges across the Mincio river, but only one was preserved.

Sigurta Gardens

by matcrazy1

We decided to visit famous Sigurta Gardens on the last day of the first official European VT-meeting, that is on Sunday 8th May, 2005. We took maybe 20-30 min. slow walk and when we reached the entrance, we got to know that the gardens need at least, say 3 hours. Some of us decided not to visit them due to lack of time. So, we had to say goodbye to a few folks :-(.

There were many people entering the gardens at sunny Sunday midday and almost no people a few hours later when we were leaving the gardens. No wonder, the Parco Giardino Sigurta is considered one of the most beautiful gardens in the world. At the entrance we had to wait maybe a few minutes to buy tickets (€ 8.50 or € 7.00 with a coupon from a leaflet available in local hotels). We had, maybe 2-3 hours walk around the gardens. I enjoyed my eyes looking at very well maintained green space, numerous colorful bushes, trees, flowers etc. but the best for me were talks with other VT-ers, I was lucky to know better this way.

Mincio Valley

by sandysmith

The Mincio valley , crosses the town from north to south and gives its name to the river here and the hence the the town of Valeggio sul Mincio!

It really is a lovely green area of Italy as you can see from this pic - taken from the Sigurrta botanical park. (more on that in the must see tips)

Comments