Valeggio sul Mincio Hotels

Our Members Say

• cruzeur profile photo cruzeur
  • Reviews: 1

cascina boschi: Cascina Boschi, volta mantovana

This is an 'agriturismo' bed and breakfast but is actually a lot more! We stayed in a room with a mezzanine. A double bed and 2 singles upstairs and 2 double sofa beds and bathroom downstairs. It also had a small fridge. They do other rooms and some with kitchens. We are a family of 4 with 2 children under 10 so it was very spacious and air condtioned. The place has a huge swimming pool, stables with horses for hacks and lessons and bikes for all sizes for free use. We swam, took bike rides along the Mincio River and the children had riding lessons from the wonderful Graziella who is a dressage champion. She was great witht he children and is a lovely, kind person - even with a small language barrier. As guests you can pay 20 euros /adult and 10 euros/child for the most fantastic meal, with huge amounts of food, in their restaurant. Their home produced wine was also very good.
If we were to go again we would avoid the weekend. The pool was very busy with locals coming for a swim and a meal and the atmosphere was very differnt and much quieter on the Monday and Tuesday we were there. On the whole the staff were great - especially Graziella and the restuarant waiter/manager.

food, free use of bikes

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Horse Riding, Cycling, Family Travel
  • Written August 5, 2009

• ma.qu profile photo ma.qu
  • Reviews: 12

Agriturismo GG Visconti: Good agriturismo

This agriturismo is a great choise if you want to escape Lake Garda hotels and apartments. It’s situated just behind Valeggio sul Mincio and around the corner from Borghetto (about 500 meter). Outside you have a good view over the valley of the Mincio, the ancient bridge and the castle of Borghetto.
Great hospitality, the fridge is filled with butter, jam, milk, water and toast and you can order panini for the following morning(s). Towel change on request. Great swimming pool.
The apartments are (tasteful) basic with outside furniture. The 2 apartments named ‘Il Fienile” shares their terraces and offers the best view. “La Terrassa” offers a private terrace but has no view (only an old shed and building equipment). See also the website.

Note: Beware of the music festivals in Borghetto, loud music until 5.00 a.m, less sleep.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Arts and Culture, Castles and Palaces
  • Written July 8, 2007

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Albergo Al Cacciatore: Albergo means a hotel!

There are different names for a hotel used in Italy, nowadys.

ALBERGO
The exact Italian word for a hotel is ALBERGO (plural alberghi). Keep in mind that at many, especially smaller and less touristy places, like in Valeggio sul Mincio, just that Italian name is used to advertise local hotels.

LOCANDA
It's mostly the cheapest, clean and simple place to sleep. As I noticed, many locanda changed names to albergo/hotel recently.

PENSIONE
There is no difference, excpet the different name, between Italian albergho and pensione, especially recently, as I noticed.

CLASSIFICATION
Surely all hotels are officially classified by 1 to 5 star system. In Italy, hotels get stars for equipment and facilities available in a room and a hotel not for size of a room, comfort, quality of service or location.

QUALITY
Hotels up to 3-stars (I never used more fancy ones in Italy), I stayed in, were always clean. Rooms were mostly equipped (always in a 3-star) in a TV-set (usually small one with cable/satellite TV) and a telephone and rarely airconditioned (never in a 1 or 2-star hotels). Rooms were of medium or small size, often not well lighted (small window and light). Breakfasts were of various quality and size, sometimes very light.

PRICES
Hmm... they are high and very different and surprisingly not that much depend on number of stars. The price depends more on location and season. The highest prices are surelly in summer (August is traditional month of vacation for Italians - hot and busy month = skip it if you can) and in the most touristy places. I found lower prices in the South, except more and more popular Sicilly, which was not that inexpensive.

Except to pay (per room for 2):
€ 35 - € 50 in a 1-star hotel usually with shared bathroom ---> not so easy to find in the North;
€ 50 - € 80 in 2-star or even 3-star hotel but not in, say, Venice, Florence etc. (1-star there) ---> my recommendation unless a room has no bathroom;
€ 80 - € 130 in good 3-star or even 4-star hotels
Over € 130 ----> I never stayed there (yet!).

WARNING
In very popular destinations (like summer seaside resorts, Florence, Venice, Rome) booking a hotel in advance is highly recommended. Sometimes I was asked to pay for 3 nights at once and buy extra paid (expensive and small) breakfast.

Excuse, I will transfer this tip to my Italy page.

• Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written June 8, 2005

ALBERGO = HOTEL

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Albergo Al Cacciatore: Double bed room :-)))

There are rooms with one US-size double bed on the second floor of the hotel.

• Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip, Backpacking
  • Written June 1, 2005

DOUBLE-BED ROOM :-)

• Maurizioago profile photo Maurizioago
  • Reviews: 804

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Eden.: A very comfortable hotel.

This modern hotel is not far from the center of Valeggio sul Mincio.

I spent two nights there (see first European VT meeting.) I was given a beautiful large room with bathroom en suite.

At breakfast there was a big choice of food to choose from the buffet. Sweets, bread, cheese, ham, fruit; yoghurt.

• Related to: Road Trip, Family Travel
  • Written May 28, 2005

Pic taken from the web.

Albergo Al Cacciatore: White lady at Cacciatore reception desk

This women with pretty white hair worked at hotel Al Cacciatore, as usual there, both in reception and bar. She could speak English and we had short nice chat in the morning just after breakfast. She was talking more with our great VT-meeting organizer, pretty swan, Barbara (BarbaraForza).

• Related to: Backpacking, Road Trip, Family Travel
  • Written May 20, 2005

WHITE LADY AT CACCIATORE RECEPTION DESK

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Albergo Al Cacciatore: It was very good idea to live there :-)

Cacciatore, which means a hunter, was the main base to incoming for the meeting VT-ers. No doubts, it was very good choice to make it the base hotel of Verona VT-meeting. How did you find it, Barbara ?

This 3-star hotel:
- looks very nice at first sight (I mean design of the ground floor)
- is located at the edge of historical centre by mostly quiet street,
- has small (for, say, 6 cars) parking inside and more place for cars outside,
- staff (especially it's younger majority) is very friendly and can speak better or worse English,
- offers good buffet breakfast, large restaurant (used as meeting place for VT and as wedding place for locals a night after) and pub/bar inside.

WHAT DID NOT (!) DISTURB ME!
The room we had (no 18, on the last, 3rd floor, two single beds) was a little bit small or maybe we used to live in larger rooms which are standart in, even the cheapest, hotels/motels in the USA. There was not enough place for anythyng else than my laptop on a very small table. And there was no air-condition but a window with shutters.

Bathroom was nice although after taking a shower (behind a curtain = good for the two :-) the whole floor was wet.

TV-set was small (I almost didn't use it!) and satellite TV didn't offer neither my favourite English channels: Weather Channel and Fox News nor Travel Channel but CNN Europe (not my favourite :-).

There were no information leaflets on the hotel, Valeggio and environs in the room.

WHAT DISTURBED ME A LITTLE BIT
1. No internet connection in a hotel. Well, I needed it not for VT (can you believe?) but to check weather around (and plan wiser day trips this way) and to e-mail at least to Umer (Pakistaniguy) whom I promised to pick up from Peschiera del Garda railway station at... unspecified time about noon on Saturday.
2. Not enough number of well located sockets (one didn't work) for my chargers, cell phones and a laptop. I had to switch TV-set off to use/charge my laptop (upload pictures from camera). Well, I forgot 1-3 plug adapter.

PRICE
We paid 70 € per double room per night, surely with breakfast (capuccino per request included), parking and all taxes included, add three small botles of mineral water in refrigerator each day. We got to know that Cacciatore offers prices lower than nearby famous historical cities (Mantova, Verona - one VT-er paid 113 € per single room there) and than many hotels around Lake Garda. To be honest it would be very lot in... Poland, my country. For 350 € we paid for 5 nights quite many families must survive a month in Poland. And surely I would give more (= better hotel in such non-touristy location) for that money in Poland.

OTHERS PROS
The room was perfectly cleaned everyday by invisible hotel staff and it fragranced pretty whenever we came back from day trips.

The small window of our room was my exit... to the roof of the hotel where I surely had to take pictures of the castle and Valeggio and wher I could smoke cigarettes :-). Warning for smokers: smoking was forbidden inside a hotel.

• Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip, Backpacking
  • Written May 18, 2005

HOTEL CACCIATORE

Albergo Ristorante Cacciatore: Shady garden

Besides a huge dinnerhall which could house all the 80 VT-ers at the welcome-dnner and the more cosy bar and breakfast room, the hotel has a lovely shady innercourt and garden.

Here we could meet each other after visits to the different attrractions and gather before leaving to the next VT events, like lunch and saturday evening party.
It was a lovely place to relax and to chat with old and new VT-friends.

shady garden

Albergo Ristorante Cacciatore: Hotel in the towncentre

At first sight from the street the Albergo Al Cacciatore looked like a small hotel. But it had more than 20 rooms and could house most of the visiting VT-ers.

There was a small court for about 6 cars, but that was no problem because opposite of the hotel was a huge public parking place. Behind the hotel was a large garden and a dependance of the hotel.

Friendly and warm outlook. Possibility to have our welcome dinner for about 80 VT-ers at this place too.
The hotel was situated at a short walking distance from all the 'must sees' in and around town.

Albergo Ristorante Cacciatore

Albergo Ristorante Cacciatore: The VT meeting point

Albergo Al Cacciatore was the main hotel of the VT meeting from the 6th to the 8th of May 2005. .

All arriving people were welcomed by Barbara and the friendly staff of the hotel at this colourful reception desk. It was the beating heart of the meeitng at arrival time.

Most of us could stay in this hotel, but some had to go to two other hotels nearby. We were all booked at our VT nick-names. Sometimes this was very hilarious.

Barbara and her fellow organizers of the 1st European VT meeting did make a good choice with this lovely hotel in a nice ambiance.

the reception desk

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Al Cacciatore: Al Cacciatore

Breakfast time at Al Cacciatore! Here some Vtiers gather to prendre their break fast. lol!
The break fast lies between a typical French and British type of breakfast ..but the baguettes were missing, as well as baked beans, and hot dogs!!. But it was ok.

• Related to: Budget Travel

B/F at Al Cacciatore

Al Cacciatore: Al Cacciatore

I have a bad habit of looking out of my hotel windows every first morning I wake up from a new hotel! Soo, at Al Cacciatore, this was the view from my window...not bad?
Barbra was very kind in picking this particular room!

Unique quality! hmmmm..I can see all the vtiers as they assemble at the garden, and those of them staying in nearby hotel, I couls see them milling into the base, which is this hotel! So, I know immediately, that its time to enter the bath for the days activity.

• Related to: Business Travel

Al Cacciatore

Al Cacciatore: Al Cacciatore

This is where I was asked by Babra to stay. A single room with all the facilities. I could have shown the rooms but unfortunatelty, this will compromise the people that were found in my room at that time! lol.
It was comfortable and well thought out by Barbra.

This is actually the base of the meet, and that makes it unique for me. I needn't move about, the first dinner was here, the breakfast, the meeting point, everything happened here!!!

• Related to: Business Travel

Vtiers outside Al CACCIATORE

• paoseo profile photo paoseo
  • Reviews: 177

Eden

This one is an other hotel where some of us stayed....

And these are other possibilitis of choice:
Bastia *** via Bastia 14 tel. 045 / 795 00 77
Tel. 045 / 6365013 - Fax 045 /7945494
www.ristorantemara.com ristorantealbergomara@virgilio.it

• Related to: School Holidays
  • Written May 13, 2005

• croisbeauty profile photo croisbeauty
  • Reviews: 7560

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Eden: VT meeting accomodation

Actualy, I cannot tell you much about this hotel because, all together, I've spend only a few hours in my room. The fact is that I shared this room with Tabatha and HORSCHEK and both of them have snored so loudly that I couldn't sleep at all.

On the other hand, it is pretty good accomodation (without those two of course), and cost me 35 euros per night. I'll ask G. to refund me 35 euros!
Btw, the girl from reception desk told me they had alot of complains because of thunder snoring coming out from room nr. 206.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average