Abbazia Hotel Venice

Hotel Abbazia
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 74% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Best Kept Secret in Venice

I travel to Italy every few years (more often when I can) and when arriving in Venice ALWAYS try to stay at the Abbazia Hotel very near the train station. The staff is fantastic! Matteo, Mirko, and Fabio (did not see him this visit), are always so welcoming and helpful. This is a charming hotel near trains and water transportation. The included breakfast is always superior as are the rooms. Great prices (for Venice) and the staff makes it a location I plan to return to again and again.

Unique Quality: STAFF

Directions: From front of the train station turn left....go to the first calle (looks like a narrow alley) turn left, about 50 steps....on the left in an indented area (you can not see it until you are there).

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Historical hotel with Great service!

CANNAREGIO
    VAPORETTO- FERROVIA

I booked this hotel through www.venere.com for myself and 9 friends-we were here in Venice to celebrate my 50th Birthday. It was the perfect choice! We paid 95 Euros each for our 2 nights, which we felt was a very good price!

I was in Venice at Christmas, so had the chance to check it out before our trip in January-I knew straight away that I had made the right choice. A few metres from the Scalzi Bridge/ Grand Canal and Water bus stops. Raffaele on reception was very helpful, and the hotel had a lovely atmosphere.

Arriving at the hotel with my friends we were met by Matteo-who soon had us in stitches with his lovely sense of humour.
    We checked into our rooms, and arranged to meet in reception an hour later, ready to explore Venice and find a restaurant for our evening meal.

I'd arranged with Matteo to provide a couple of bottles of Prosecco for my friends to enjoy in the lounge. I was surprised to find that Matteo (The hotel) had footed the bill for this - a lovely touch!! We had more prosecco the following night, and the hotel was very helpful in helping my friends arrange my Birthday surprise, with proseccco/nibbles etc.

My room (310) on the 3rd floor was very comfortable -no lift tho' so got some exercise in, climbing the stairs!
    Quite compact, but 2 of us managed OK.
    Twin beds, bedside tables, spacious wardrobe with hangers and safe, TV, mini bar. AC/ heater. Scented with diffuser rods and there was a mosquito plug too!
    Bathroom with Shower cubicle-quite powerful shower!! basin, WC, Bidet. Towels, hairdryers. Freebies of orange sorbet and green tea leaves hair/shower gel/ shower caps/ intimate wash!

The hotel is next to the Scalzzi Church, so there was the sound of church bells ringing from 07.15, but I didn't find this a problem. Our room was very warm (January)

Breakfast-the best I've come across in Venice!! served from 07.30-11.00

Cereals, cold meats, cheeses, fresh fruit,yogurts, boiled eggs, cakes, juices, tea/coffee selection etc.

Unique Quality: Great staff-very friendly and helpful (although the night man on the Saturday night was quite grumpy, when we returned at around 12.30!!)

Lovely garden at the back with seating/canopies etc.

Pleasant lounge area with bar and original preaching post (you can enter it by staircase through door from lounge)

Reception area with plenty of info of things to do
    Umbrella stand, with umbrellas to borrow if weather is bad

Free laptop hire WIFI I think.

Ideal for anyone arriving at Santa Lucia train station or Pz. Roma bus station and not wanting to negotiate bridges, catch vaporetto, walk long distances with luggage etc.

RECOMMENDED!!!

Directions: VAPORETTO Ferrovia

From the foot of the Scalzzi Bridge, facing the Scalzzi Church, turn Right, look for the next passageway (narrow alleyway), walk down here and you'll find the hotel on the left, opposite Chinese restaurant with the red lanterns!.

• Great location, very quiet

We stayed in the Abbazia Hotel for two nights at the end of July 2009. While Venice was incredibly hot, we really enjoyed our hotel. Our room was air conditioned which was wonderful. The location was perfect since we had to catch an early train on our last morning. We were so grateful that we didn't have to haul our luggage on the vaporetto to get to our hotel! If we ever go back to Venice, we will stay at the Abbazia again. The staff was wonderful!

Unique Quality: Perfect location, very close to the train station but VERY quiet. We never heard a train or a fellow traveller. We did hear bells every morning at about 7:15 and 8:15 which rang at least 100 times each. I'm not quite sure why, but we didn't mind since it gave us a head start on the day.

Directions: Near the train station

• A Great Hotel

Hotel Abbazia is located about 200 yards from the venice train station. Literally around the corner and down an alley. Don't despair for the Abbazia is a wonderful hotel! The staff could not be more accomodating and helpful. We (family of four) stayed in one of their larger rooms and had a wonderful uncrowded stay with all modern amenities. If you are into bathroom critiques this one is a 10!
    All of the "vaporettos" stop at the front of the hotel. You can get anywhere in Venice from there. Take the "free" water taxi arranged by the front desk to Murano for wonderful bargains on murano glass....then take the vaporetto to Burano for lace then the ferry to St. Marks Square. It's an all day trip but lots of fun. There are plenty of restaurants and shoppes in the square right in front of the hotel.
    We've stayed in plenty of mid-range hotels throughout Italy and Europe...this one is not to be missed!

Unique Quality: Quant....location to train station amazing.

Directions: walk to left from train station...turn left at first alley...about 300 yards in

• engitalunion's Profile Photo

Hotel

Very near to the railway station [ no noise ] and the Grand Union Canal .
    Excellent staff .
    Would be a 4 star if they opened the restaurant in the evening ---who wants Hotel food with so many nice Restaurants though.

Wine at 20 to 30 Euro --- half the price in the local Restaurant .

Lucky to find a Hotel at Carnival time so book early --we didn't but were lucky .

Unique Quality: Courtyard Garden is cool .
    Being an ex monastry the 1 st floor pulpit in the lounge was unique --try delivering a sermon after too much wine !
    Also it has its own bell tower so 7.45 am lay back and listen to the bells --uurrggh :-)

Directions: Turn right as you leave the railway station and turn left after 100m --not far .

More about Abbazia Hotel Venice

Dream hotel 1 – Abbazia San Pietro in Valle

by Trekki about Abbazia San Pietro in Valle, Ferentillo (Umbria)

Abbazia San Pietro in Valle is the most magic “manmade” place I ever stayed at (sleeping in my tent under the stars in Patagonia is a different story). It is located in eastern Umbria, in the Valnerina to be precise and is a former monastery, which is now transformed into a hotel. But what a hotel!!

After I found my way uphill (challenging for me, haha) and placed the car under the glittering silvery green roof of olive trees (note: they take also care for a car’s soul given this maybe most beautiful parking spot a car can ever wish for) I went uphill to search for the reception desk. A nice lady greeted me, seated me in a little very stylish welcome lobby and served me caffè and orange juice (freshly squeezed by the way). Yes, there were enough rooms available, because they’d just opened the season end of March. After I finished my drinks, she led me through the huge terrace and through a little gate into the abbey’s cloister. We walked upstairs on the first floor and in one of the rooms we passed she made the incidential remark that this would be the reading room. Reading room!!! How could one concentrate on a book if one sits in this room (photo 5) with all this furniture around?? We finally arrived at my room and I couldn’t help but gasp in amazement – this room was the most perfect room I ever saw to stay and sleep at far away from home (but on the other hand… where is home?).
The rooms are nothing else but the former abbey cells with most of their former features like the old terracotta stones on the floor, the wooden ceilings, in-built shelves and fireplaces still in place. The hotel’s leaflet writes that every room is different. Mine had this magnificent shelf built into the thick stone walls with partly wooden and partly stone files. A little candle here, a little pot with dried flowers there, some vases, some books – as if the former inhabitant only left his room for a prayer in the church. Opposite on the wall was the fireplace, also built into the thick stone walls. The former entry was modified to a closet now, the outer door of course locked forever. A little desk and chair completed the spare but very efficient and plain beautiful interior.
The bathroom was restored in the same concept: the old floor stones still there, and the modern amenities (shower, sink, toilet and bidet) only built into the stone walls. In the evening, after a splendid dinner in Il Cantico just below the hotel, I stood for a long time and watched the night through my window and was wondering if the monks might have appreciated this location as much as I (and certainly the other guests as well) did. But then, a monk’s life is spiritual, and I cannot imagine a better place that has spiritualiy written in big letters all around. Despite it was cold and rainy, I slept with open windows and could smell the fragrance of wet grass in the morning when the “sun” (ok, not sun but daylight) woke me up. Yes, that’s something I did – let the light wake me up and not the alarm clock. In this environment I didn’t dare to make noise or let my mobile phone do it.

Breakfast was served downstairs consisted in a huge selection of what was ytpical for the region: wild boar sausage, goat cheese, self-made jam, yoghurt, fresh fruit, cereals, croissants and fresh bread, cakes and tartes and a selection of coffee, caffè or tea.

In my room was a little leaflet with information about the wellness and beauty treatments they offer. On the website is more information about this part of their service. They also have a sauna in the basement.
For my one night including breakfast I paid 90 € (April 2008). That’s more than I would normally spend, but given this location, it was worth every penny.
Would I stay here again? Yes, very much so, but then a bit later with hopefully better weather. I’d bring tons of books and would sit in the garden forever and read…
If you are interested to see more photos, I wrote about the abbazia and the surrounding on my Ferentillo page.

Location of Abbazia San Pietro in Valle on Google Maps.

© Ingrid Denne, May 2008 (just in case, RS or others come along and think they can steal texts).

beautiful hotel and wonderful staff

Ourselves and six friends stayed at the Hotel Abbazia for three nights at the end of February 2005. We chose superior rooms and found them to be above expectations for the price. They were all recently refurbished, large, exceptionally clean and our double bed was huge!! The en suite bathrooms even had spa baths. The hotel was beautiful inside - what you would hope for in Venice - and the staff were friendly and extremely helpful, particularly Mathew who went out of his way to give advice and help make our stay even more enjoyable. The Hotel is in walking distance of the bus terminal from the airport and it only cost us 3 euros each to get from the airport to the Hotel. It is our intention to return to wonderful Venice and we would not consider staying anywhere else but the Hotel Abbazia.

Charming Hotel

What a charming hotel! We had a delightful stay here. Hotel Abbazia is around the corner from the the Venetian Ferrovia train station and Vaporetto transportation barge stop and within walking distance of the buses to the airport. This converted Abbey in the Cannaregio section of Venice is charming and quiet, with clean rooms, comfortable beds and pristine baths with plenty of hot water. The cheerful staff spoke excellent English and were warm and friendly. They helped us change some reservations as well as find specific art exhibits to see. We looked forward to the morning breakfast of yogurt, croissant and delicious coffee, which was part of our package. The breakfast room looked out over a beautiful interior courtyard which I'm sure is used in the summer for outdoor meals. In the afternoon there was a bar with a very descrete bartender who served very resonably priced wine, drinks and snacks. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Venice.

The Best and the Classiest.....

by TripAdvisor Member EWWSanFrancisco

Everything about Hotel Abbazia was classy, yet understated...
(1) The beautiful spacious room, clean spacious bathroom,
everything was clean and well designed....
(2) The breakfast was likewise classy and well presented.... AND
most importantly, very good and bountiful.....
(3) The staff was kind, always ready to please.... especially Matteo....
made us feel so welcome......
(4) Despite winter, the beautiful garden, with a fruit filled persimmon tree and many other trees and shrubs around, complemented the entire
place
(5) It was a great location, and very convenient to the train station, Venezia Ste.Lucia......
I will definitely return again and again....

Quiet but convenient

Being right next to the main railway station isn't often a good start for a hotel review, but the Hotel Abbazia is comfortable and peaceful, despite its proximity to the busy streets. Breakfast itself is nothing special, but the chance to eat it outdoors in the central garden of this former convent adds charm in the warmer months. The former refectory is now a large and elegant bar/lounge area - a really comfortable space for an evening drink. The lobby staff are charming and helpful.

It's worth the extra for a superior room if you like space - 106 has a huge shower room.

Abbazia San Antimo - ToscanaAbbazia San Antimo - Toscana

Abbazia di San GregorioAbbazia di San Gregorio

Abbazia di San GregorioAbbazia di San Gregorio

Abbazia San Pietro in Valle - the bookshelfAbbazia San Pietro in Valle - the bookshelf

Hotel Abbazia

by Tina007

Hi, has anyone stayed in the Hotel Abbazia (Calla Priuli ai Cavalletti).

Re: Hotel Abbazia

by Billy16

We stayed there 2 years ago and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Have a look at my Venice hotel tip from my travel pages.

Billy

Re: Hotel Abbazia

by rocee

Have you tried tripadvisor.com ? You can enter the name of a hotel and get reviews by people who have stayed there. That might help you decide.

Comments