Airone Hotel Venice

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 24, 2010

SANTA CROCE
VAPORETTO - PIAZZALE ROMA/ FERROVIA
I booked this hotel through Venere.com due to it's price and location (I paid 36.10 euros (£31/$47) for a single room (Room 26}with en-suite bathroom that looked onto the Grand Canal.
This time I was only spending one night in Venice, before catching the train to Florence.

Hotel Airone is ideally placed for those wanting to stay near the Piazalle Roma bus station or San Lucia train station.
Check in was at the Hotel Canal (30 metres away). I was handed my keys, which I had to return to this Hotel on check out (11.00) they offer a left luggage service.

All rooms are reached by a staircase - so not suitable for those with limited mobility.

I was surprised to find that when I opened the shutters to my room (26) I was looking onto the Grand Canal! (I'd requested this, but had had a reply stating that this couldn't be guaranteed, which I took to mean 'No Chance')! From my window, to the right I could see to the Ponte dei Scalzi and to the left, the Ponte di Calatrava.

This room was quite compact, but quite satisfactory for one person (I'm not sure if my bed was a large single, or a small double)!
Decorated in typical Venetian style- embossed fabric covering the walls, Murano glass chandelier, window shutters and painted wardrobe plus marble flooring.
The bathroom utilised the limited space ;-)
Yes, it was possible to use the WC, and have a shower at the same time!

TV, hairdryer (which was either broken, or I hadn't sussed out how to operate it) fluffy terry towelling type towels (not the smooth (non-absorbent) towels that I have sometimes found in Italian hotels.
Air con- which I didn't try, although the room was Uncomfortably hot - my past few Christmas's in Venice, I'd found my rooms to be quite chilly, so had packed my warmest pyjamas.

All of the rooms opened from a common area, where there was a dining/breakfast area of tables and chairs, but no other sign of food being served here - I hadn't booked breakfast, but it might be served at the Hotel Canal. The Hotel Airone web site lists Breakfast: from 8.30-10 am that can be served in your room. It also mentions a concierge service and bar, which again didn't appear to be so - maybe this is because it was out of the traditional Season.

A small selection of posters and flyers for musical concerts were on display.

So, if you're wanting a hotel with 'all the trimmings' this wouldn't be ideal, but if it's a base for sight seeing and just for sleeping/showering without any fuss, it might be suitable for you.

Single/Double/Triple and Quadruple rooms available

Check-in: from 13.00
Check-out: by 11.00

Unique Quality: Ideal location - opposite Ferrovia (Santa Lucia Train Station) and Vaporetto stations, 3 minutes walk from Piazzale Roma.

Directions: Vaporetto Ferrovia or Piazzale Roma

From P.Roma cross the stone bridge head forward past Public Garden then cross next bridge to Hotel Canal
Ferrovia turn Left cross Scalzi Bridge turn right and before bridge is the Hotel

babelic's Profile Photo

Good location, clean, budget hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 30, 2008

I have stayed at Hotel Airone twice: first time in May 2008, had double with shared bathroom, which was small, but clean and the shared bathroom was cleaned daily. Second time in May 2009 we had booked a double with bathroom, but got triple room, which was nice. AC wasn´t turned on, but we were able to keep window open as it faces courtyard which was very quiet.

Unique Quality: Location is very good; about two minutes walking from piazzale roma and railway station (=close to the vaporetto stop and food shops). Easy to find! Reception is at hotel Canal (about 50 metres from Airone, on the same street).

Directions: Close to railway station and piazzale roma

Nearby Airone Hotel Venice

5 Photos of Airone Hotel Venice

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Airone Hotel Venice

• Shuttle Service
  • Room Service

Venice Travel Forum

Need advice about Venice, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Venice and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Venice hotel reviews

Campanile di San Marco
Basilica di San Marco
Gondola
Transportation
By water taxi (& private boats)
Ponte dei Sospiri
Traghetto
Murano Island
Things to Do
Walking (incl. city maps)
Food, wine and sweets
Ghetto
Burano Lace
Lido di Venezia
Off The Beaten Path
Street Sellers (fake products)
Other Islands
Markets
Favorites
Canal Grande, Palazzi (Grand Canal/Palazzi)
By car (incl. parking)